Current:Home > MyFastexy Exchange|George Santos says he doesn’t plan to vote in the special election to fill his former seat -Capitatum
Fastexy Exchange|George Santos says he doesn’t plan to vote in the special election to fill his former seat
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-07 01:22:57
CENTRAL ISLIP,Fastexy Exchange N.Y. (AP) — Former U.S. Rep. George Santos says he doesn’t plan to vote in next month’s special election to fill his now vacant seat in Congress.
The disgraced New York Republican, who became only the sixth lawmaker in history to be expelled from the U.S. House of Representatives last year, made the comments Tuesday following a brief hearing in federal court on Long Island ahead of his criminal fraud trial, which is slated for later this year.
Santos told reporters that he isn’t likely to cast a ballot at all in the Feb. 13 election for the seat representing the northern parts of Queens and Long Island.
The race pits Mazi Pilip, a relatively unknown Republican county lawmaker, against Democratic former congressman Thomas Suozzi, who previously represented the district for six years during a lengthy career in Long Island politics.
Santos faces a slew of criminal charges in the federal case, including allegations that he defrauded campaign donors, lied to Congress about his wealth, received unemployment benefits while employed, and used campaign contributions to pay for personal expenses like designer clothing. He pleaded not guilty to a revised indictment in October.
In his court hearing Tuesday, there was little talk of a potential plea deal, unlike his previous court appearance in December.
Santos’ lawyer Joseph Murray said only that negotiations remain “productive” and that both sides would report back to the judge if there were any notable developments.
Judge Joanna Seybert also approved a timeline for motions, briefs and other legal filings in preparation for the September trial. Santos now isn’t due back in court until Aug. 13.
Santos was elected in 2022 after campaigning as a self-made Wall Street whiz, but his life story unraveled soon after his election win, when it was revealed that he had lied about where he worked and went to college as well as big chunks of his personal background. He was ousted from his seat following a scathing House Ethics Committee report that said it found “overwhelming evidence” that he had broken the law and exploited his public position for his own profit.
After Tuesday’s hearing, Santos declined to say what else he’s been up to since his ignominious exit from national politics.
In recent months, he’s granted a handful of interviews and launched an account on the website Cameo, where the public can pay him for a personalized video message.
Santos was asked Tuesday if he missed being in Congress.
“Sure,” he responded. “I worked hard to get there.”
___
Follow Philip Marcelo at twitter.com/philmarcelo.
veryGood! (8)
Related
- Louisiana high court temporarily removes Judge Eboni Johnson Rose from Baton Rouge bench amid probe
- Small Minnesota town will be without police after chief and officers resign, citing low pay
- 'Reinventing Elvis' reveals why Presley nearly canceled his '68 Comeback Special live set
- North Carolina dad shoots, kills Department of Corrections driver who ran over his son, police say
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- A Community-Led Approach to Stopping Flooding Expands in the Chicago Region
- Zack Martin, Dallas Cowboys rework contract to end offensive guard's camp holdout
- Toronto Maple Leafs Prospect Rodion Amirov Dead at 21 After Brain Tumor Diagnosis
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- Why tensions have been growing along NATO’s eastern border with Belarus
Ranking
- Bet365 ordered to refund $519K to customers who it paid less than they were entitled on sports bets
- Hunter Biden's criminal attorney files motion to withdraw from his federal case
- Andy Taylor of Duran Duran says prostate cancer treatment will 'extend my life for five years'
- Game of Thrones Actor Darren Kent Dead at 36
- US Open player compensation rises to a record $65 million, with singles champs getting $3.6 million
- Maui residents with wildfire-damaged homes are being targeted by real estate scams, officials warn
- Stressed? Here are ways to reduce stress and burnout for National Relaxation Day 2023
- 4 Australian tourists are rescued after being missing in Indonesian waters for 2 days
Recommendation
The Daily Money: Disney+ wants your dollars
South Korea’s Yoon calls for strong security cooperation with US, Japan ahead of Camp David summit
WeWork sounds the alarm, prompting speculation around the company’s future
A rights group says it can’t get access to detained officials in Niger
Everything Simone Biles did at the Paris Olympics was amplified. She thrived in the spotlight
Hawaii wildfires continue to burn in the Upcountry Maui town of Kula: We're still on edge
Maui residents with wildfire-damaged homes are being targeted by real estate scams, officials warn
A Community-Led Approach to Stopping Flooding Expands in the Chicago Region