Current:Home > ContactRekubit-Harris accepts CBS News' vice presidential debate invitation -Capitatum
Rekubit-Harris accepts CBS News' vice presidential debate invitation
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 22:31:17
The RekubitBiden campaign has accepted CBS News' invitation to participate in a vice presidential debate this summer.
The Biden campaign says that either the proposed dates of Tuesday, July 23, or Tuesday, August 13 would be acceptable for Vice President Kamala Harris to debate. The Trump campaign has not yet publicly accepted the invitation. And former President Donald Trump has not yet named a running mate.
"We look forward to the Trump campaign accepting one of these dates so that the full debate calendar for this campaign can be set," Brian Fallon, campaign communications director for Harris, told reporters.
CBS News confirmed that President Biden's campaign accepted its offer to host a vice presidential debate and has extended the same offer to Trump's campaign.
Mr. Biden and Trump have agreed to presidential debates on June 27 and Sept. 10. Plans for the debates came together quickly after the president's campaign said in a letter that he was willing to debate his Republican opponent twice before the November election. That kicked off a series of competing proposals and social media posts from the presumptive Democratic and Republican nominees, culminating in the two debates being scheduled for June and September within a matter of hours.
Sen. Tim Scott of South Carolina, a potential running mate pick for Trump, alluded to potentially participating in a debate during an interview Wednesday night.
"I hear there's a debate in July. If you're the guy moderating, maybe I'll be talking to you. We'll see what happens," Scott told Newsmax.
Democratic strategists argued an earlier start date for the debates would help the Biden campaign establish the contrasts between the president and Trump in front of a wider audience and that it could offset some of the disadvantages Biden has in polling.
"It's important to start attacking [Trump] one-on-one early. We have all the advantages, so the earlier the better," said Quentin James, president of The Collective PAC, a committee supporting Black candidates that has endorsed Mr. Biden.
Melissa Quinn contributed to this report
- In:
- Debate
- Joe Biden
- Kamala Harris
- Democratic Party
- Donald Trump
- Politics
- Republican Party
Aaron Navarro is a CBS News digital reporter covering Florida Governor Ron DeSantis' presidential campaign and the 2024 election. He was previously an associate producer for the CBS News political unit in the 2021 and 2022 election cycles.
TwitterveryGood! (6546)
Related
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- Coyote with bucket stuck on head rescued from flooded valley south of San Diego
- 2 are in custody in Mississippi after baby girl is found abandoned behind dumpsters
- Princess Kate returns home after abdominal surgery, 'is making good progress,' palace says
- A Georgia governor’s latest work after politics: a children’s book on his cats ‘Veto’ and ‘Bill’
- Teenager awaiting trial in 2020 homicide who fled outside hospital is captured in Philadelphia
- British Museum reveals biggest treasure finds by public during record-breaking year
- Taking away Trump’s business empire would stand alone under New York fraud law
- British golfer Charley Hull blames injury, not lack of cigarettes, for poor Olympic start
- Americans don't sleep enough. The long-term effects are dire, especially for Black people
Ranking
- PHOTO COLLECTION: AP Top Photos of the Day Wednesday August 7, 2024
- A Rolex seller meets up with a Facebook Marketplace thief. It goes all wrong from there
- Real Housewives Star Kandi Burruss’ Winter Fashion Gives Legs and Hips and Body, Body
- North Macedonia parliament approves caretaker cabinet with first-ever ethnic Albanian premier
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- A Texas 2nd grader saw people experiencing homelessness. She used her allowance to help.
- Inter Miami vs. Al-Hilal live updates: How to watch Messi in Saudi Arabia
- Former NHL player accused of sexual assault turns himself in to Ontario police
Recommendation
Tropical weather brings record rainfall. Experts share how to stay safe in floods.
A woman's 1959 bridal photos were long lost. Now the 85-year-old has those memories back.
Americans don't sleep enough. The long-term effects are dire, especially for Black people
There’s a wave of new bills to define antisemitism. In these 3 states, they could become law
How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
Scientists can tell how fast you're aging. Now, the trick is to slow it down
Lions are being forced to change the way they hunt. It's all because of a tiny invasive ant, scientists say.
Shohei Ohtani joining Dodgers 'made too much sense' says Stan Kasten | Nightengale's Notebook