Current:Home > ContactChainkeen Exchange-Paris prosecutors investigating death of actress who accused Gérard Depardieu of sexual misconduct -Capitatum
Chainkeen Exchange-Paris prosecutors investigating death of actress who accused Gérard Depardieu of sexual misconduct
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 21:06:55
PARIS — An investigation was opened following the death last week of a French actress who was among those accusing movie star Gérard Depardieu of sexual misconduct,Chainkeen Exchange the Paris prosecutor’s office said Thursday.
Actress Emmanuelle Debever published a post on Facebook in 2019 that Depardieu had groped her in 1982 while they were acting together for the film “Danton.”
Debever’s partner told police on Nov. 29 she left their home, leaving a “worrying” written note, the Paris prosecutor’s office said. She later jumped from a Paris bridge into the Seine river, was given emergency care by rescuers and transported to a hospital, the prosecutor’s office said.
She died Dec. 7 at the age of 60, according to press reports.
On the same day, an investigative documentary was aired on national TV channel France 2 about accusations of sexual misconduct against Depardieu, which included footage of him repeatedly making obscene remarks and gestures during a 2018 trip to North Korea.
Depardieu, 74, has been under investigation since December 2020 for rape and sexual assault, reportedly at his Paris home, following allegations from actress Charlotte Arnould in 2018. He has denied any criminal conduct.
Gerard Depardieuaccused of sexual harassment, assault by 13 women in new report
In October, Depardieu published an open letter in the French newspaper Le Figaro that said, “I want to tell you the truth. I have never, ever abused a woman.”
The Paris prosecutor’s office said that, given Debever’s accusations against Depardieu, an investigation into the causes of death has been open — procedure in France when causes of death are unknown or suspicious.
French investigative news website Mediapart earlier this year published information saying that Depardieu has been accused of harassing, groping or sexually assaulting 13 women. Most of the claims reported by the Mediapart website relate to film shoots between 2004 and 2022.
Lawyers for Depardieu, from the law firm Temime, "formally deny all allegations that (could) concern criminal law," Mediapart wrote, and called the allegations a "veritable indictment" to which the actor has no intention of responding.
The France 2 documentary claims the number of accusers now stands at 16.
veryGood! (7724)
Related
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Katy Perry Has a Message for Concerned Fans After Debuting New Wig
- 2 die when small plane crashes in wooded area of northern Indiana
- Ex-Ohio House speaker to be arraigned from prison on state charges, as scheme’s impact persists
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- Eight US newspapers sue ChatGPT-maker OpenAI and Microsoft for copyright infringement
- Rep. Elise Stefanik seeks probe of special counsel Jack Smith over Trump 2020 election case
- Former MVP Mike Trout needs surgery on torn meniscus. The Angels hope he can return this season
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- Columbia says protesters occupied Hamilton Hall overnight. See the videos from campus.
Ranking
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- Prosecutors say they will not retry George Alan Kelly, Arizona rancher accused of murder near the US-Mexico border
- Amazon reports strong 1Q results driven by its cloud-computing unit and Prime Video ad dollars
- Barbra Streisand Clarifies Why She Asked Melissa McCarthy About Ozempic
- Shilo Sanders' bankruptcy case reaches 'impasse' over NIL information for CU star
- Amazon reports strong 1Q results driven by its cloud-computing unit and Prime Video ad dollars
- The ship that brought down a Baltimore bridge to be removed from collapse site in the coming weeks
- Score 75% Off Old Navy, 45% Off Brooklinen, 68% Off Perricone MD Cold Plasma+ Skincare & More Deals
Recommendation
'Stranger Things' prequel 'The First Shadow' is headed to Broadway
Untangling Kendrick Lamar’s Haley Joel Osment Mix-Up on His Drake Diss Track
Aaron Carter's Twin Angel Carter Conrad Reveals How She's Breaking Her Family's Cycle of Dysfunction
Oregon Man Battling Cancer Wins Lottery of $1.3 Billion Powerball Jackpot
JoJo Siwa reflects on Candace Cameron Bure feud: 'If I saw her, I would not say hi'
Campaign to build new California city submits signatures to get on November ballot
The Best White Dresses For Every Occasion
2024 NFL draft steals: Steelers have two picks among top 10 in best value