Current:Home > ScamsSurpassing Quant Think Tank Center|U.S. decides to permanently dismantle pier helping deliver aid into Gaza, official says -Capitatum
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center|U.S. decides to permanently dismantle pier helping deliver aid into Gaza, official says
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-06 22:04:56
The Surpassing Quant Think Tank CenterUnited States has decided to permanently dismantle the Gaza pier, a U.S. official told CBS News.
The pier is currently in port in Ashdod, Israel, and will not be reattached to the shore in Gaza, according to this official, who said "the mission is over." The decision follows a recommendation by the U.S. Central Command not to reinstall the pier. CBS News learned of the military's recommendation Tuesday from two U.S. officials.
Bedeviled by bad weather and mechanical malfunctions, the Gaza pier has been in operation for only about 20 days since it was installed in May. In those 20 days, it has managed to deliver nearly 20 million pounds of aid.
The Pentagon had already announced that the pier would soon cease operations, although there was a chance that it would be installed one final time to deliver the remaining aid supplies from Cyprus.
"The pier has always been intended as a temporary solution, and it will conclude its mission soon, but as of today, I don't have any announcements to make in terms of when the mission will officially conclude," Pentagon Press Secretary Maj. Gen. Patrick Ryder said Tuesday.
The Pentagon has not announced a final decision, but commanders in charge of the operation have now recommended pulling the plug.
President Biden previewed the temporary maritime corridor to help deliver aid to Gaza in his State of the Union address in March. The pier was part of the administration's effort to supplement the amount of aid reaching Palestinians by trucks via road and by air drops.
The plan called for about 1,000 U.S. forces to construct and operate the maritime corridor without stepping foot in Gaza. Since the beginning of the outbreak of war between Hamas and Israel, Mr. Biden has said that no U.S. boots would enter Gaza.
The corridor is made up of a floating dock out in the eastern Mediterranean where ships bring aid from Cyprus that is then transferred to U.S. military support vessels. The vessels then transport the aid to the pier attached to the shore for trucks to drive into Gaza.
The Defense Department never set a timeline for how long the temporary pier would be in place, but officials said weather has historically been hospitable between May and August.
However, rough weather delayed the initial installment of the pier, and then in late May, broke pieces of it that were quickly repaired. Since then, the U.S. military has detached the pier and placed it at the Port of Ashdod several times to wait out choppy seas.
Last Thursday, Mr. Biden in a press conference said he was disappointed with the corridor.
"I've been disappointed that some of the things that I've put forward have not succeeded as well, like the port we attached from Cyprus. I was hopeful that would be more successful," Biden said.
The Defense Department estimated constructing and operating the pier would cost $230 million.
- In:
- Hamas
- Israel
- Gaza Strip
David Martin has been CBS News' national security correspondent, covering the Pentagon and the State Department, since 1993.
TwitterveryGood! (5)
Related
- Bet365 ordered to refund $519K to customers who it paid less than they were entitled on sports bets
- Social media platforms should have health warnings for teens, U.S. surgeon general says
- When colleges close, students are left scrambling. Some never go back to school
- Boston Celtics are early betting favorites for 2025 NBA title; odds for every team
- Residents in Alaska capital clean up swamped homes after an ice dam burst and unleashed a flood
- Georgia GOP to choose congressional nominees, with candidates including man convicted in Jan. 6 riot
- This law is a lifeline for pregnant workers even as an abortion dispute complicates its enforcement
- New Zealand Rugby Player Connor Garden-Bachop Dead at 25 After Medical Event
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- Hillary Clinton gets standing ovation in surprise appearance at Tonys: 'Very special'
Ranking
- 51-year-old Andy Macdonald puts on Tony Hawk-approved Olympic skateboard showing
- Rebellious. Cool. Nostalgic. Bringing ‘The Bikeriders’ to life, and movie theaters
- Jake Paul to fight Mike Perry after Mike Tyson fight postponed
- Georgia inmate had ‘personal relationship’ with worker he shot and killed, prison official says
- Michigan lawmaker who was arrested in June loses reelection bid in Republican primary
- If you can’t stay indoors during this U.S. heat wave, here are a few ideas
- Shooter who killed 5 at a Colorado LGBTQ+ club set to plead guilty to federal hate crimes
- That cool Tony Awards moment when Jay-Z joined Alicia Keys? Turns out it wasn’t live
Recommendation
What to watch: O Jolie night
Firefighters gain ground against Southern California wildfire but face dry, windy weather
India train crash leaves at least 8 dead, dozens injured as freight train plows into passenger train
Southern New Mexico wildfire leads to evacuation of village of 7,000
Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
New Mexico village of Ruidoso orders residents to evacuate due to raging wildfire: GO NOW
11 guns found in home of suspected Michigan splash pad shooter
Regan Smith sets American record at Olympic swimming trials in 100 back