Current:Home > MarketsGeorge Santos ends comeback bid for Congress after raising no money -Capitatum
George Santos ends comeback bid for Congress after raising no money
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 06:21:39
Former U.S. Rep. George Santos on Tuesday said he is dropping his longshot bid to return to Congress, months after he was expelled from the House while facing a slew of federal fraud charges.
Santos, who was running as an independent candidate for the 1st Congressional District in New York, said he was withdrawing from the race in a post on the social media platform X.
The announcement came after the disgraced former congressman’s campaign committee reported no fundraising or expenditures in March, raising speculation that his campaign had failed to get off the ground.
Santos last month launched a campaign to challenge Republican Rep. Nick LaLota in the GOP primary for the eastern Long Island congressional district, which is a different district than the one he previously represented. Weeks later, Santos said he was leaving the Republican Party and would instead run for the seat as an independent.
“Although Nick and I don’t have the same voting record and I remain critical of his abysmal record, I don’t want to split the ticket and be responsible for handing the house to Dems,” Santos wrote on X, adding, “Staying in this race all but guarantees a victory for the Dems in the race.”
Santos was expelled from the House in December following a damaging ethics committee report that determined there was “overwhelming evidence” of lawbreaking and that he “cannot be trusted.” He was just the sixth member expelled by colleagues in the chamber’s history.
The former congressman has pleaded not guilty to federal charges that include deceiving Congress about his wealth, stealing from his campaign and obtaining unemployment benefits he didn’t deserve. He has a trial tentatively scheduled for later this year.
In his post on X, Santos did not rule out seeking office in the future.
“It’s only goodbye for now,” he wrote, “I’ll be back.”
veryGood! (3523)
Related
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- Jews unite in solidarity across New York City for war-torn Israel
- Blinken calls for protection of civilians as Israel prepares for expected assault on Gaza
- U.S. reopening facility near southern border to house unaccompanied migrant children
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- California high school grad lands job at Google after being rejected by 16 colleges
- Mississippi sheriff aims to avoid liability from federal lawsuit over torture of Black men
- Barrage of bomb threats emailed to schools cancels classes across the Baltic countries
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- EU can’t reach decision on prolonging the use of chemical herbicide glyphosate
Ranking
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- Amid a mental health crisis, toy industry takes on a new role: building resilience
- Wisconsin Republicans propose sweeping changes to Evers’ child care proposal
- U.S. reopening facility near southern border to house unaccompanied migrant children
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- Federal, local officials agree on $450 million deal to clean up Milwaukee waterways
- Real relationship aside, Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce are 100% in a PR relationship
- It's the warmest September on record thanks to El Niño and, yes, climate change
Recommendation
Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
In New Zealand, Increasingly Severe Crackdowns on Environmental Protesters Fail to Deter Climate Activists
2nd grand jury indicts officer for involuntary manslaughter in Virginia mall shooting
Exclusive: US to send 2nd aircraft carrier to eastern Mediterranean
Meet 11-year-old skateboarder Zheng Haohao, the youngest Olympian competing in Paris
Judge authorizes attempted murder trial in shooting over Spanish conquistador statue
Jade Janks left a trail of clues in the murder of Tom Merriman. A look at the evidence.
Iowa jurors clear man charged with murder in shooting deaths of 2 students