Current:Home > MarketsOliver James Montgomery-Johnson & Johnson offers to pay $6.5 billion to settle talc ovarian cancer lawsuits -Capitatum
Oliver James Montgomery-Johnson & Johnson offers to pay $6.5 billion to settle talc ovarian cancer lawsuits
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-06 08:59:37
Johnson & Johnson said Wednesday it has offered to pay $6.5 billion to settle allegations that its talc products caused cancer,Oliver James Montgomery a key step in the pharmaceutical giant potentially resolving decades of litigation over what was once one of the most widely used consumer products in the U.S.
The proposal is aimed at ending a protracted legal battle stemming from thousands of lawsuits that accused J&J of selling products that allegedly led women to develop ovarian cancer, in some cases causing their death.
J&J maintains that its talc products are safe. But the company stopped selling talc-based items in 2020, and two years later announced plans to cease sales of the product worldwide.
The company said the proposal would settle 99.75% of the pending talc lawsuits in the U.S. The legal actions not covered by the proposal relate to mesothelioma, a rare cancer that affects the lungs and other organs. The company said it would address those suits outside the proposed settlement.
"The Plan is the culmination of our consensual resolution strategy that we announced last October," Erik Haas, worldwide vice president of litigation for J&J, said in a statement Wednesday. "Since then, the Company has worked with counsel representing the overwhelming majority of talc claimants to bring this litigation to a close, which we expect to do through this plan."
Johnson & Johnson made its settlement offer as part of a bankruptcy reorganization plan for a subsidiary, LLT Management, that J&J said would give ovarian claimants three months to vote for or against the plan.
While the majority of law firms support the plan, attorneys for some plaintiffs dismissed the settlement offer, saying "would cheat victims legitimately harmed by talc."
"We believe any bankruptcy based on this solicitation and vote will be found fraudulent and filed in bad faith under the Bankruptcy Code," Andy Birchfield, head of the Mass Torts Section at the Beasley Allen Law Firm, said in a statement to CBS MoneyWatch. "On behalf of our clients who deserve better, we are blowing the whistle on this cynical legal tactic and will resist it at every turn."
- In:
- Johnson & Johnson
Megan Cerullo is a New York-based reporter for CBS MoneyWatch covering small business, workplace, health care, consumer spending and personal finance topics. She regularly appears on CBS News 24/7 to discuss her reporting.
veryGood! (524)
Related
- Michigan lawmaker who was arrested in June loses reelection bid in Republican primary
- North Carolina State's Rakeim Ashford stretchered off field during game vs. UConn
- North Carolina GOP legislator Paré running for Democrat-controlled US House seat
- Missouri judge says white man will stand trial for shooting Black teen who went to wrong house
- 2024 Olympics: Gymnast Ana Barbosu Taking Social Media Break After Scoring Controversy
- How Freddie Prinze Jr. and Sarah Michelle Gellar Managed to Pull Off the Impossible With Their Romance
- Late night TV hosts team up for a new podcast amid the writers' strike
- A Chicago boy, 5, dies after he apparently shot himself with a gun he found in an Indiana home
- 2024 Olympics: Gymnast Ana Barbosu Taking Social Media Break After Scoring Controversy
- Opening statements begin in website founder’s 2nd trial over ads promoting prostitution
Ranking
- Jay Kanter, veteran Hollywood producer and Marlon Brando agent, dies at 97: Reports
- Below Deck Mediterranean Goes Overboard With the Drama in Shocking Season 8 Trailer
- Up First briefing: Labor Day travel; 9/11 trial; best summer video games
- Stock market today: Asian shares trade mixed ahead of a key US jobs report
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- Satellite images capture massive flooding Hurricane Idalia heaped on Florida's Big Bend when it made landfall
- SpaceX launch live: Watch 22 Starlink satellites lift off from Cape Canaveral, Florida
- 'Never seen anything like this': Idalia deluge still wreaking havoc in Southeast. Live updates
Recommendation
Oklahoma parole board recommends governor spare the life of man on death row
Julie Ertz, a two-time World Cup champion, announces retirement from professional soccer
West Virginia college files for bankruptcy a month after announcing intentions to close
Scientists say study found a direct link between greenhouse gas emissions and polar bear survival
Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
Grammy-winning British conductor steps away from performing after allegedly hitting a singer
Miley Cyrus Says This Moment With Taylor Swift and Demi Lovato Shows She's Bisexual
Judge blocks Arkansas law requiring parental OK for minors to create social media accounts