Current:Home > reviewsMorocco earthquake death toll tops 2,800 as frantic rescue efforts continue -Capitatum
Morocco earthquake death toll tops 2,800 as frantic rescue efforts continue
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 05:56:59
Marrakech, Morocco — Hundreds of people stood in line for hours outside a blood bank in the central Moroccan city of Marrakech on Monday, some even passing out from the heat, but all of them determined do whatever they can for their country as it reels from the devastating earthquake that struck Friday night.
The United Nations estimated that some 300,000 people had been affected by the al-Houz quake — a powerful 6.8 magnitude temblor that struck a region unaccustomed and ill-prepared for such a jolt. On Monday, the death toll rose to 2,862, with another 2,562 injured, according to Morocco's Ministry of Interior.
Video continued to emerge over the weekend capturing both the extent of the devastation, and the frenzied moments right after the earthquake struck the North African nation.
The frantic effort to find survivors was still underway, as others turned to mourning their loved ones.
"We were having dinner," said Hamid Ben Henna. "I asked my son to bring a knife from the kitchen to cut the dessert, but he never did because as soon as he left the kitchen, the earthquake struck. He was buried in six feet of rubble."
The worst of the destruction is in the scenic High Atlas Mountains, where dirt roads snake into snow-capped peaks. Many of those passes have been blocked by rockslides, making it impossible to reach those still trapped beneath the debris of their homes.
Some could still be saved, but many more will need to be found and laid to rest.
"We just couldn't ever imagine something like this happening here really, It's just been totally devastating," said Helen Gallagher who emigrated to make Morocco her home. "We're just in survival mode and trying to get help out to the people who most need it, and we'll process it afterwards."
In cities like Marrakech, with its famed Casbah, medieval buildings that have stood for 1,000 years have been badly damaged. Some have fallen, and others could topple at any moment.
The need for aid is immense and urgent. The U.S. Embassy in Morocco said it was aware of a small number of Americans who were hurt in the quake, but none who were killed.
- In:
- Rescue
- Africa
- Morocco
- Disaster
- Earthquake
Chris Livesay is a CBS News foreign correspondent based in Rome.
TwitterveryGood! (559)
Related
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- Federal agents tackle Jan. 6 defendant Vitali GossJankowski during physical altercation at court hearing
- Electronic wolves with glowing red eyes watch over Japanese landscapes
- Seager stars with 2-run HR, stellar defense to lead Rangers over D-backs 3-1 in World Series Game 3
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- 3 energy companies compete to build a new nuclear reactor in the Czech Republic
- An Israeli ministry, in a ‘concept paper,’ proposes transferring Gaza civilians to Egypt’s Sinai
- Gas prices continue decline amid Israel-Hamas war, but that could change
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- Americans are still putting way too much food into landfills. Local officials seek EPA’s help
Ranking
- $1 Frostys: Wendy's celebrates end of summer with sweet deal
- Charged Lemonade at Panera Bread gets warning label after death of college student
- Frank Howard, two-time home run champion and World Series winner, dies at 87
- FBI investigating antisemitic threats against Jewish community at Cornell University
- The 'Rebel Ridge' trailer is here: Get an exclusive first look at Netflix movie
- Australia says it won’t bid for the 2034 World Cup, Saudi Arabia likely to host
- Watchdog group says attack that killed videographer ‘explicitly targeted’ Lebanon journalists
- 3 energy companies compete to build a new nuclear reactor in the Czech Republic
Recommendation
New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
Record-breaking cold spell forecast for parts of the U.S. on Halloween
Israeli forces battle Hamas around Gaza City, as military says 800,000 have fled south
Family calls for justice after man struck by police car, buried without notice
Eva Mendes Shares Message of Gratitude to Olympics for Keeping Her and Ryan Gosling's Kids Private
Watchdog group says attack that killed videographer ‘explicitly targeted’ Lebanon journalists
King Charles III is in Kenya for a state visit, his first to a Commonwealth country as king
Flavor Flav goes viral after national anthem performance at Milwaukee Bucks game: Watch