Current:Home > InvestProsecutors in Trump’s Georgia election subversion case estimate a trial would take 4 months -Capitatum
Prosecutors in Trump’s Georgia election subversion case estimate a trial would take 4 months
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 07:17:31
ATLANTA (AP) — Prosecutors in the Georgia election subversion case involving former President Donald Trump said Wednesday that a trial would likely take four months.
The estimate from special prosecutor Nathan Wade came during a hearing Wednesday before Fulton County Superior Court Judge Scott McAfee on attempts by two of those indicted to be tried separately. The hearing was broadcast live on television and on the judge’s YouTube channel, a marked difference with the other three criminal cases against Trump, where cameras have not been allowed in the courtroom during proceedings.
Wade said his estimated trial length did not include jury selection, and he said the state would call more than 150 witnesses.
Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis last month used the state’s anti-racketeering law to obtain a wide-ranging 41-count indictment and said she wants to try all 19 defendants together. But the legal maneuvering that has already begun in the three weeks since the indictment was returned underscores the logistical complexity inherent in a such a sprawling indictment with so many defendants.
Already some of those charged are seeking to speed up the process, some are trying to separate themselves from the others accused in the alleged conspiracy and some are trying to move the charges against them from a state court to federal court. All of them have pleaded not guilty.
After hearing arguments Wednesday from lawyers for attorneys Kenneth Chesebro and Sidney Powell to be tried alone, the judge decided to keep their two trials together and adhere to their request for a speedy trial, which would begin on Oct. 23. The judge gave the state until Tuesday to submit a brief on whether it should be a trial of two defendants or 19.
Several other defendants have also asked to be tried separately or in small groups, and Trump, the early front-runner in the 2024 Republican presidential primary, has asked to be tried apart from anyone who files a speedy trial demand.
Meanwhile, Trump White House chief of staff Mark Meadows was in federal court last week arguing that he was acting in his capacity as a federal official and his case should be heard by a federal judge. U.S. District Judge Steve Jones has yet to rule on that request. Four other defendants who are also seeking to move their cases to federal court have hearings set before Jones later this month.
Whenever and wherever any trial in the case ultimately takes place, jury selection is likely to be a significant challenge. Jury selection in a racketeering and gang case brought last year by Willis began in January and is still ongoing. In another big racketeering case Willis tried nearly a decade ago against former Atlanta public schools educators, it took six weeks to seat a jury.
Willis’ team on Tuesday asked McAfee to allow the use of a jury questionnaire that prospective jurors would have filled out before they show up for jury selection, writing in a court filing that it “will facilitate and streamline the jury selection process in many respects.” Prospective jurors may be more comfortable answering personal questions on paper than in open court and lawyers for both sides could agree that certain jurors aren’t qualified without additional questioning, prosecutors said.
veryGood! (94)
Related
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- Horoscopes Today, May 21, 2024
- Olympian Mary Lou Retton Responds to Backlash Over Her Daughters Crowdsourcing Her Medical Funds
- Patrick Mahomes Breaks Silence on Chiefs Teammate Harrison Butker's Commencement Speech
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- Pacers coach Rick Carlisle takes blame for Game 1 loss: 'This loss is totally on me'
- Diversity jobs at North Carolina public universities may be at risk with upcoming board vote
- Teen drowns in lake just hours after graduating high school in Kansas: Reports
- Big Lots store closures could exceed 300 nationwide, discount chain reveals in filing
- Beyoncé, Jay-Z, Big Freedia accused of copyright infringement over 'Break My Soul' lyric
Ranking
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Xander Schauffele, other golfers roast Scottie Scheffler after arrest at PGA Championship
- Charlie Colin, founding member of Train, dies at 58: 'The sweetest guy'
- Horoscopes Today, May 21, 2024
- A steeplechase record at the 2024 Paris Olympics. Then a proposal. (He said yes.)
- Austin police fatally shoot man seen making a bomb at a convenience store during a standoff
- Judge agrees to delay Hunter Biden trial in California tax fraud case as Delaware trial looms
- From ‘Anora’ to ‘The Substance,’ tales of beauty and its price galvanize Cannes
Recommendation
Oklahoma parole board recommends governor spare the life of man on death row
Veteran Kentucky lawmaker Richard Heath, who chaired a House committee, loses in Republican primary
Clark, Reese and Brink have already been a huge boon for WNBA with high attendance and ratings
Senate confirms 200th Biden judge as Democrats tout major milestone
North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
NBA legend John Stockton has COVID-related 'free speech' lawsuit thrown out by judge
Ireland, Spain and Norway recognizing a Palestinian state
Someone mailed a live rattlesnake to a California man. He thinks it was attempted murder.