Current:Home > MarketsFukushima nuclear plant operator in Japan says it has no new safety concerns after Jan. 1 quake -Capitatum
Fukushima nuclear plant operator in Japan says it has no new safety concerns after Jan. 1 quake
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 22:31:04
TOKYO (AP) — The operator of the wrecked Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant in Japan said Tuesday it has no new safety worries and envisions no changes to the plant’s decommissioning plans even after a deadly earthquake on Jan. 1 caused minor damage to another idled nuclear plant, rekindling concerns and prompting a regulatory body to order a close examination.
The magnitude 7.6 quake on New Year’s Day and dozens of strong aftershocks in Japan’s north-central region have left 222 people dead and 22 unaccounted for. The main quake also caused a small tsunami.
Two reactors at the Shika nuclear power plant on the western coast of the quake-struck Noto peninsula survived. But its operator, Hokuriku Electric Power Co., later reported temporary power outages due to damage to transformers, the spilling of radioactive water from spent fuel cooling pools and cracks on the ground, but no radiation leaked outside.
“At the moment, we believe there won’t be any change to our (Fukushima Daiichi decommissioning) plan because of the Noto quake,” said Akira Ono, the head of the Tokyo Electric Power Company Holdings’ decommissioning unit for Fukushima Daiichi.
He said TEPCO’s assessment confirmed the integrity of all Fukushima Daiichi reactor buildings even in the potential case of a quake 1.5 times as powerful as the one that struck in March 2011.
The magnitude 9.0 earthquake and subsequent tsunami that year destroyed key cooling systems at the plant, triggering triple meltdowns, spewing radioactive materials to surrounding areas and leaving some areas still unlivable.
Ono added that TEPCO’s Kashiwazaki-Kariwa nuclear power plant, the world’s largest, which holds seven reactors in its complex and is located 118 kilometers (73 miles) east of the epicenter, had no major problems and would not require additional safety measures. But he said the utility would wait for nuclear safety regulators to review the impact of the Noto quakes.
He also acknowledged that the New Year’s Day earthquake caught many people “off guard” and was a wake up call for Fukushima Daiichi, where multiple operations are carried out, so it will be better prepared to contain potential risks from the used equipment or facilities that remain at the complex when another major quake or a tsunami hits.
TEPCO has since been working on the plant’s decommissioning, a daunting task expected to take decades to finish if it’s achieved. Ono said facilities that have been built at the Fukushima Daiichi plant since the disaster have been designed under strict safety standards set by the Nuclear Regulation Authority.
“I believe there will be no major impact on them” from the Noto quake, Ono said.
The NRA at a meeting last week asked for further investigation even though initial assessments showed there was no immediate risk to the Shika plant. NRA officials said Shika’s operator should consider the possibility of additional damage to transformers and other key equipment as aftershocks continue.
The NRA order reflects Japan’s greater vigilance over safety risks after the 2011 Fukushima meltdowns.
TEPCO is eager to restart its only workable Kashiwazaki-Kariwa plant after more than 10 years of stoppage, following the NRA’s lifting of a more than two-year ban over its lax nuclear safeguard measures at the site.
veryGood! (8)
Related
- Eva Mendes Shares Message of Gratitude to Olympics for Keeping Her and Ryan Gosling's Kids Private
- Hot air balloon crashes into powerlines near Minnesota highway, basket and 3 passengers fall
- ESPN's Dick Vitale, now cancer-free, hopes to call college basketball games next season
- Aaron Taylor-Johnson says fascination with wife's 23-year age gap is 'bizarre'
- 9/11 hearings at Guantanamo Bay in upheaval after surprise order by US defense chief
- Ted Danson felt like a liar on 'Cheers' because of plaque psoriasis. Now he's speaking out.
- 12 NBA draft prospects to watch in men's NCAA Tournament
- Wisconsin GOP leader says Trump backers seeking to recall him don’t have enough signatures
- Bet365 ordered to refund $519K to customers who it paid less than they were entitled on sports bets
- West Virginia man shot by 15-year-old son after firing weapon at wife
Ranking
- Jay Kanter, veteran Hollywood producer and Marlon Brando agent, dies at 97: Reports
- Kris Jenner's Niece Natalie Zettel Mourns “Sweet” Mom Karen Houghton After Her Death
- Dodgers vs. Padres highlights: San Diego wins wild one, Yamamoto struggles in MLB Korea finale
- Vasectomies and March Madness: How marketing led the 'vas madness' myth to become reality
- 'Most Whopper
- Trump’s lawyers keep fighting $454M fraud appeal bond requirement
- Tennessee Senate advances nearly $2 billion business tax cut, refund to prevent lawsuit
- Social Security clawed back overpayments by docking 100% of benefits. Now it's capping it at 10%.
Recommendation
The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
The owner of a Vermont firearms training center has been arrested after a struggle
Alabama high court authorizes execution date for man convicted in 2004 slaying
Lisa Ann Walter would 'love' reunion with 'The Parent Trap' co-star Lindsay Lohan
PHOTO COLLECTION: AP Top Photos of the Day Wednesday August 7, 2024
A Nashville guide for Beyoncé fans and new visitors: Six gems in Music City
Alabama high court authorizes execution date for man convicted in 2004 slaying
Major airlines want to hear how Boeing plans to fix problems in the manufacturing of its planes