Current:Home > ContactCharles H. Sloan-Maryland cuts $1.3B in 6-year transportation draft plan -Capitatum
Charles H. Sloan-Maryland cuts $1.3B in 6-year transportation draft plan
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 06:09:30
ANNAPOLIS,Charles H. Sloan Md. (AP) — Maryland’s six-year capital transportation plan will decrease by $1.3 billion, according to a draft plan released Tuesday, reflecting operating costs that are outpacing revenue growth, state officials said.
The reduction in the $18.9 billion program for fiscal years 2025 to 2030 will result in some deferred projects, such as sidewalk repair and intersection improvements, officials said. It also will delay the transition to the electrification of the state’s bus fleet.
“Despite significant budgetary challenges, the Maryland Department of Transportation continues to prioritize the safety of all who use our transportation system and make investments in projects that will help grow our economy,” Maryland Transportation Secretary Paul Wiedefeld said in a news release.
For example, the state will proceed with plans for the Frederick Douglass Tunnel to replace the 1.4-mile (2.3-kilometer) Baltimore & Potomac Tunnel that connects Baltimore’s Penn station to MARC’s West Baltimore Station. The state will also continue plans for the Howard Street Tunnel to create vertical clearance improvements along CSX’s Rail Corridor to allow double-stack trains to travel between Baltimore and Philadelphia.
The proposal also won’t affect plans to rebuild the Francis Scott Key Bridge, which collapsed under the impact of a massive container ship that lost power and crashed into one of its supporting columns.
The state also is proceeding with the project development process for the Baltimore Red Line and Southern Maryland Rapid Transit, the department said.
Revenue forecasts for several state transportation funding sources, including the gas tax, vehicle titling tax, transit fares and vehicle registration, were revised downward to reflect results from this past fiscal year, the department said.
That, combined with existing funding commitments such as operating expenses, support for local governments through increased highway user revenues and Purple Line payments, left the department with fewer state dollars than anticipated to match federal funding for highway and transit projects. The Purple Line is a 16-mile (26-kilometer) light rail line in the suburbs of the nation’s capital that connects New Carrollton in Prince George’s County to Bethesda in Montgomery County.
The reduced ability to fully leverage federal funds is a driving factor behind the $1.3 billion in reductions and will result in certain projects being deferred because of fiscal constraints, the department said. The end of federal pandemic relief, inflation and supply chain disruptions have also had an impact.
Some of the deferrals include system preservation needs, transitioning the Maryland Transit Administration’s bus fleet to zero emission vehicles and pausing the design of major highway expansion projects at logical milestones, the department said in a news release.
The release of the draft program launches the department’s public engagement process. That includes a meeting in every Maryland county and the city of Baltimore to receive input from local officials and the public. This year’s tour is scheduled to take place between September and October with local jurisdictions hosting the meetings.
After the tour, the transportation department will finalize the draft plan and submit a final plan to the legislature in January.
Last year, the department cut the six-year plan by $3.3 billion. Those reductions were eased when Gov. Wes Moore allocated $150 million of the state’s rainy day fund to help offset the cuts. The legislature also responded by approving vehicle registration increases.
veryGood! (21)
Related
- Kourtney Kardashian Cradles 9-Month-Old Son Rocky in New Photo
- Jana Duggar Reveals Move to New State After Wedding to Stephen Wissmann
- Bronze statue of John Lewis replaces more than 100-year-old Confederate monument
- Governor declares emergency after thunderstorms hit northwestern Arkansas
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- Cholera outbreak in Sudan has killed at least 22 people, health minister says
- Stranded Astronauts Butch Wilmore and Suni Williams' Families Weigh in on Their Status
- Jana Duggar, oldest Duggar daughter, marries Stephen Wissmann: 'Dream come true'
- Former Milwaukee hotel workers charged with murder after video shows them holding down Black man
- Harris reveals good-vibes economic polices. Experts weigh in.
Ranking
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- Taylor Swift fan captures video of film crew following her onstage at London Eras Tour
- Lawyers for plaintiffs in NCAA compensation case unload on opposition to deal
- Retired Air Force Maj. Gen. Richard Secord fights on: once in Vietnam, now within family
- Shilo Sanders' bankruptcy case reaches 'impasse' over NIL information for CU star
- Paris Hilton Speaks Out After “Heartbreaking” Fire Destroys Trailer on Music Video Set
- The pro-Palestinian ‘uncommitted’ movement is at an impasse with top Democrats as the DNC begins
- Harris and Trump offer worlds-apart contrasts on top issues in presidential race
Recommendation
Paris Olympics live updates: Quincy Hall wins 400m thriller; USA women's hoops in action
Possible work stoppage at Canada’s two largest railroads could disrupt US supply chain next week
The pro-Palestinian ‘uncommitted’ movement is at an impasse with top Democrats as the DNC begins
White woman convicted of manslaughter in fatal shooting of Black neighbor
IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
Premier League highlights: Arsenal and Liverpool win season's opening Saturday
Possible work stoppage at Canada’s two largest railroads could disrupt US supply chain next week
Carlos Alcaraz destroys his racket during historic loss to Gael Monfils in Cincinnati