Current:Home > MyMan dies in fire under Atlantic City pier near homeless encampment -Capitatum
Man dies in fire under Atlantic City pier near homeless encampment
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-06 05:00:23
ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. (AP) — A man died in a fire under an Atlantic City pier near a homeless encampment, authorities said.
The Atlantic County Prosecutor’s Office said Friday that Bruce Elder, 67, died in a fire that began Thursday evening under the Central Pier at the boardwalk and Tennessee Avenue.
Fire Chief Scott Evans said Elder was believed to be homeless, and the prosecutor’s office said he appeared to be sleeping when the fire broke out. An autopsy was to be performed to determine his cause of death.
“This was an unfortunate tragedy,” Evans said. “We have dealings with encampments under the pier and boardwalk almost on a daily basis. This is an area known to be used by the homeless.”
The prosecutor’s office said “a small homeless encampment was observed in the area of the fire,’' adding a small campfire had been set near where Elder’s body was found.
“Although the fire was intentionally set, it does not appear to be criminal in nature,” the prosecutor’s office said.
The fire spread upward, damaging the structure of part of the pier and some buildings above it. Evans said a large storage building appeared to suffer the heaviest damage, along with a rear section of a 99-cent store, and about 10% of an arcade on the pier.
Evans said some repairs need to be made to their pier itself and some of its buildings, but he was optimistic it could be reopened safely before Memorial Day weekend.
Damage from the fire did not extend to the main section of the Boardwalk. which remained intact and open on Friday.
The fire broke out at 7:06 p.m. and went to a second alarm by 7:30 p.m., the fire chief said.
About 50 firefighters battled the blaze for three hours, struggling against winds off the ocean that fanned the flames under the pier, Evans said.
It was at least the second fire on Atlantic City’s Boardwalk in recent months. In November, fire burned a section of Boardwalk outside Resorts casino not far from where Thursday’s fire broke out. The cause of that fire was never pinned down, although the actions of homeless people underneath the wooden walkway was one of several possibilities, Evans said.
In Nov. 2009, the pier was hit by two fires weeks apart. On Nov. 21, a fire damaged four businesses on the pier. Then on Dec. 5, the badly decomposed body of a homeless man was found under the pier by firefighters called to yet another blaze. Authorities later said he did not appear to have been the victim of foul play.
___
Follow Wayne Parry on X, formerly Twitter, at www.twitter.com/WayneParryAC
veryGood! (6)
Related
- Illinois Gov. Pritzker calls for sheriff to resign after Sonya Massey shooting
- Maine’s top court dismisses appeal of judge’s decision on Trump ballot status
- Mexican tourist haven and silversmithing town of Taxco shuttered by gang killings and threats
- Jersey Shore town trying not to lose the man vs. nature fight on its eroded beaches
- Taylor Swift Cancels Austria Concerts After Confirmation of Planned Terrorist Attack
- Coco Gauff falls to Aryna Sabalenka in Australian Open semifinal
- Mel B’s Major Update on Another Spice Girls Reunion Will Make You Stop Right Now
- North Korea says it tested a new cruise missile in the latest example of its expanding capabilities
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Robitussin cough syrup recall issued nationwide due to microbial contamination
Ranking
- Beware of giant spiders: Thousands of tarantulas to emerge in 3 states for mating season
- A US Congressional delegation affirms bipartisan support for Taiwan in first visit since election
- Rauw Alejandro, Peso Pluma, Maluma headline Sueños 2024, Chicago's Latino music festival
- Jill Biden invites Kate Cox, Texas woman who was denied emergency abortion, to be State of the Union guest
- Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
- Ohio restricts health care for transgender kids, bans transgender girls from school sports
- Japan’s Fukushima nuclear plant further delays removal of melted fuel debris
- Maine's supreme court declines to hear Trump ballot eligibility case
Recommendation
2024 Olympics: Gymnast Ana Barbosu Taking Social Media Break After Scoring Controversy
Harbaugh returning to NFL to coach Chargers after leading Michigan to national title, AP sources say
In-N-Out to close Oakland, California restaurant due to wave of car break-ins, armed robberies
Pakistan must invest in climate resilience to survive, says prime ministerial hopeful Bhutto-Zardari
Carolinas bracing for second landfall from Tropical Storm Debby: Live updates
French President Macron arrives in India, where he’ll be chief guest at National Day celebrations
South Carolina GOP governor blasts labor unions while touting economic growth in annual address
Vermont wants to fix income inequality by raising taxes on the rich