Current:Home > MarketsMusk deletes post about Harris and Biden assassination after widespread criticism -Capitatum
Musk deletes post about Harris and Biden assassination after widespread criticism
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-07 04:36:57
Elon Musk has deleted a post on his social media platform X in which he said “no one is even trying to assassinate” President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris in the wake of an apparent assassination attempt on former President Donald Trump while he was playing golf.
Musk, who has nearly 200 million followers on the social media site he bought for $44 billion in 2022, has increasingly embraced conservative ideologies in recent years and endorsed Trump for president.
While he has removed posts in the past, Musk has also kept up and even doubled down on other such inflammatory comments. Last week, he made a joke about impregnating Taylor Swift after the singer posted an endorsement for Harris.
Early Monday, after taking down the post about the apparent Trump assassination, the 53-year-old billionaire wrote on the platform: “Well, one lesson I’ve learned is that just because I say something to a group and they laugh doesn’t mean it’s going to be all that hilarious as a post on X.”
The original post was in response to DogeDesigner, one of the 700 accounts that Musk follows, who asked: “Why they want to kill Donald Trump?”
Musk’s reply was quickly condemned by many X users, and “DeportElonMusk” began trending on X on Monday morning.
“Violence should only be condemned, never encouraged or joked about,” said White House spokesperson Andrew Bates in response to Musk’s post. “This rhetoric is irresponsible.”
The Tesla CEO has previously posted conspiracy theories and feuded with world leaders and politicians. X is currently banned in Brazil amid a dustup between Musk and a Brazilian Supreme Court judge over free speech, far-right accounts and misinformation.
He’s also received criticism in the past for what critics said were posts encouraging violence.
Last month, for instance, the British government called on Musk to act responsibly after he used X to unleash a barrage of posts that officials said risked inflaming violent unrest gripping the country.
Musk said when he bought the platform then known as Twitter that protecting free speech — not money — was his motivation because, as he put it, “having a public platform that is maximally trusted and broadly inclusive is extremely important to the future of civilization.”
Sarah Kreps, director of Cornell University’s Tech Policy Institute, noted that Musk has long been trying to “push the boundaries of free speech, in part by engaging in impulsive, unfiltered comments on a range of political topics.”
——
Associated Press Writer Chris Megerian contributed to this story from Washington.
veryGood! (27423)
Related
- US Open player compensation rises to a record $65 million, with singles champs getting $3.6 million
- MasterChef Australia Judge Jock Zonfrillo Dead at 46
- Cara Delevingne Makes a Strong Case for Leg Warmers at the 2023 Met Gala
- Florence Pugh Debuts Must-See Buzzcut Hairstyle at Met Gala 2023
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Marilyn Monroe Lookalike Jasmine Chiswell Sets Record Straight on Surgery Claims
- Today’s Climate: April 23, 2010
- MasterChef Australia Judge Jock Zonfrillo Dead at 46
- Elon Musk’s Daughter Vivian Calls Him “Absolutely Pathetic” and a “Serial Adulterer”
- Future of Stephen tWitch Boss’ Estate Is Determined After He Died Without a Will
Ranking
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- Angelina Jolie's Son Maddox Is All Grown-Up During Rare Public Appearance at White House State Dinner
- Jennifer Lopez Is the Picture of Sexy Sophistication Baring Skin at Met Gala 2023
- All The Purr-fect Nods To Karl Lagerfeld's Cat Choupette at the Met Gala 2023
- Bet365 ordered to refund $519K to customers who it paid less than they were entitled on sports bets
- Met Gala 2023: We’ve Never Ever Been Happier to See Sydney Sweeney
- Adele and Rich Paul Dress Comfy for Date Night at Lakers Game
- Brian Flannery
Recommendation
Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
Sophie Turner Pens Message on Privacy After Accidentally Sharing Video of Her and Joe Jonas’ Daughter
Peter Thomas Roth Flash Deal: Save 75% On 1 Year’s Worth of Retinol
Florence Pugh Debuts Must-See Buzzcut Hairstyle at Met Gala 2023
US Open player compensation rises to a record $65 million, with singles champs getting $3.6 million
Nicole Kidman Channels Herself for the 2023 Met Gala Like the Icon She Is
Gigi Hadid and Leonardo DiCaprio Reunite at Star-Studded Met Gala 2023 After-Party
Sophia Culpo Addresses Unintentional Weight Loss After Braxton Berrios Breakup