Current:Home > MarketsRekubit-Atlanta begins to brace for the potential of a new Trump indictment as soon as next week -Capitatum
Rekubit-Atlanta begins to brace for the potential of a new Trump indictment as soon as next week
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 07:05:03
ATLANTA (AP) — Donald Trump and Rekubitofficials in Atlanta are bracing for a new indictment that could come as soon as next week in a Georgia prosecutor’s investigation into the former president’s efforts to overturn his 2020 election loss in the state.
Fulton County Sheriff Pat Labat has said he’s in meetings “every day” to prepare for a possible indictment. In anticipation of potential charges, his deputies erected barriers last week along the block in front of the main courthouse. The street was closed this week, and parking is prohibited on nearby streets. Those measures are to remain in place through the end of next week, Labat’s office said.
Trump has said he expects to be indicted a fourth time by next week and has begun stepping up his criticism of Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis, who has spent two years leading the election probe into Trump and his allies. Speaking to supporters in New Hampshire on Tuesday, the Republican former president launched highly personal attacks on Willis and called the 52-year-old Democratic prosecutor, who is Black, “a young woman, a young racist in Atlanta.”
“She’s got a lot of problems. But she wants to indict me to try to run for some other office,” Trump said.
A spokesperson for Willis declined to comment on Trump’s criticism. Her office hasn’t said whether charges against Trump will come next week.
Willis told law enforcement and local government leaders in a letter in April that she expected to announce charging decisions by the end of the current court term, which ends Sept. 1. She advised law enforcement to prepare for “heightened security,” noting that the announcement of charges “may provoke a significant public reaction.”
A few weeks later, she seemed to narrow that window further in a letter to the chief judge of the county superior court. She indicated that she planned to have much of her staff work remotely for most days during the first three weeks of August and asked that judges not schedule trials and in-person hearings during part of that time, notably on the days when grand juries meet.
Two grand juries were seated last month to serve through the end of the court term, one meeting Mondays and Tuesdays and the other meeting Thursdays and Fridays. Both of those grand juries have been regularly churning out lots of indictments in criminal cases unrelated to Trump, meaning it’s unlikely they’ve had time to hear evidence in the election investigation.
With the window Willis indicated to the chief judge closing Aug. 18 and the sheriff’s traffic restrictions set to end at the same time, it seems a good bet that an indictment will come next week.
If an indictment charges Trump, it would be the fourth to do so this year and the second to focus on the former president’s efforts to overturn his presidential election loss to Democrat Joe Biden.
The U.S. Department of Justice earlier this month obtained a four-count indictment in Washington that focuses on Trump’s efforts in the months between the November 2020 presidential election and the deadly riot at the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, to subvert the vote and remain in power.
That was the second indictment sought against Trump by Justice Department special counsel Jack Smith. A federal grand jury in Florida in June returned an indictment alleging the mishandling of classified documents.
And a New York grand jury indicted Trump in March, charging him with 34 counts of falsifying business records to cover up hush money payments to a porn actor during the 2016 presidential election.
Trump has pleaded not guilty in all three cases and has relentlessly rained criticism on the prosecutors in speeches and online, accusing them of launching politically motivated attacks against the clear front-runner for the Republican nomination for president in 2024.
The Georgia investigation was prompted by a Jan. 2, 2021, phone call Trump made to Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger, a fellow Republican. Trump suggested the state’s top elections official could help “find 11,780 votes” needed to put him ahead of Biden in the state.
Trump has insisted he did nothing wrong and has repeatedly said the call was “perfect.”
veryGood! (5131)
Related
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- The Daily Money: New to taxes or status changed?
- Officer shot and suspect critically wounded in exchange of gunfire in Pennsylvania, authorities say
- Sheriff says Tennessee man tried to enroll at Michigan school to meet minor
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- What does it mean to claim the US is a Christian nation, and what does the Constitution say?
- A man in Iran guns down 12 relatives in a shooting rampage with a Kalashnikov rifle
- Alaska woman gets 99 years in best friend's catfished murder-for-hire plot
- NCAA hands former Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh a 4-year show cause order for recruiting violations
- Venezuela bribery witness gets light sentence in wake of Biden’s pardoning of Maduro ally
Ranking
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- Trump rails against New York fraud ruling as he faces fines that could exceed half-a-billion dollars
- Houston megachurch to have service of ‘healing and restoration’ a week after deadly shooting
- NBA All-Star 3-point contest 2024: Time, how to watch, participants, rules
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- FYI, Anthropologie Is Having an Extra 40% Off On Over 3,000 Sale Items (& It's Not Just Decor)
- Israeli troops enter Al Nasser Hospital, Gaza's biggest hospital still functioning, amid the war with Hamas
- Family members mourn woman killed at Chiefs' Super Bowl celebration: We did not expect the day to end like this
Recommendation
Tropical weather brings record rainfall. Experts share how to stay safe in floods.
Rachel Brosnahan, Danai Gurira, Hoda and Jenna rock front row at Sergio Hudson NYFW show
Sleater-Kinney talk pronouncing their name the secret of encores
Target launches new brand 'dealworthy' that will give shoppers big savings on items
Jury finds man guilty of sending 17-year-old son to rob and kill rapper PnB Rock
Oregon TV station KGW issues an apology after showing a racist image during broadcast
Free People’s Presidents’ Day Sale Will Have You Ready for Summer With up to 65% off the Cutest Pieces
Israeli troops enter Al Nasser Hospital, Gaza's biggest hospital still functioning, amid the war with Hamas