Current:Home > MyDefendant in Georgia election interference case asks judge to unseal records -Capitatum
Defendant in Georgia election interference case asks judge to unseal records
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-06 10:20:05
Attorney Kenneth Chesebro, one of the 19 defendants in the Fulton County election interference case, filed a motion Monday asking a judge to unseal a host of underlying records in the case -- including the special grand jury report that recommended charges, the transcripts of testimony heard by the panel, and any recordings of the proceedings.
The filing came on same day that another defendant, attorney Ray Smith III, waived his formal arraignment and entered a plea of not guilty "to each and every charge of the Indictment," according to that filing.
According to Smith's filing, Smith's team believes that by filing the waiver they "are excused from appearing" at the arraignment, which Fulton County Superior Court Judge Scott McAfee has set for Sept. 6 for all 19 defendants to enter their pleas in the case.
MORE: Georgia election case: Trump, other 18 defendants surrender to authorities
Chesebro is set to stand trial in the case on Oct. 23, after a judge granted his request for a speedy trial. He, Smith and former President Donald Trump were charged along with 16 others earlier this month in a sweeping racketeering indictment for alleged efforts to overturn the results of the 2020 presidential election in the state of Georgia. The former president says his actions were not illegal and that the investigation is politically motivated.
In his motion on Monday, Chesebro's attorneys said the materials he's requesting "are critical for Chesebro to obtain in order to properly prepare for trial."
The motion said that numerous witnesses "including co-Defendants, unindicted co-conspirators, and traditional witnesses" testified before the special purpose grand jury, and that Chesebro "anticipates that many of these same people will testify at his trial."
"Finally, there is also an overarching due process concern that Mr. Chesebro have access to all prior testimony of witnesses who are expected to testify at trial (and made statements before the special purpose grand jury) in order to properly defend himself," the filing said
The special purpose grand jury -- which did not have indictment power but recommended that charges be brought -- was seated for nearly eight months and heard testimony from over 75 witnesses, including some of Trump's closest allies. A portion of its findings were released in a final report, excerpts of which were released to the public in February.
In a separate motion on Monday, Chesebro moved to conduct "voluntary interviews" of members of the separate grand jury that ultimately returned the indictment, in order to ask them if they "actually read the entire indictment or, alternatively, whether it was merely summarized for them," the filing said.
veryGood! (1)
Related
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Days after Beryl, oppressive heat and no power for more than 500k in Texas
- Barbora Krejcikova wins Wimbledon for her second Grand Slam trophy by beating Jasmine Paolini
- Donald Trump appeared to be the target of an assassination attempt. Here’s what to know
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Kate, Princess of Wales, is at Wimbledon in a rare public appearance since revealing she has cancer
- Delta apologizes after reacting to post calling employees' Palestinian flag pins Hamas badges
- Here's What the Dance Moms Cast Is Up to Now
- Meet 11-year-old skateboarder Zheng Haohao, the youngest Olympian competing in Paris
- Alec Baldwin's involuntary manslaughter case dismissed in Rust shooting
Ranking
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- Copa America final between Argentina and Colombia delayed after crowd issues
- Carlos Alcaraz should make Novak Djokovic a bit nervous about his Grand Slam record
- Judge dismisses Rudy Giuliani's bankruptcy case, clearing way for collectors to pursue debts
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Dodgers pitcher Dustin May has season-ending surgery on esophagus
- Tour de France results, standings: Tadej Pogačar extends lead with Stage 14 win
- Blake Lively Calls Out Ryan Reynolds for Posting Sentimental Pic of Her While He's Working
Recommendation
The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
Stop & Shop will be closing 32 'underperforming' stores in 5 New England states
Richard Simmons, Dr. Ruth interview goes viral after their deaths; stars post tributes
Global leaders condemn apparent assassination attempt targeting former US President Donald Trump
A New York Appellate Court Rejects a Broad Application of the State’s Green Amendment
Shannen Doherty Dead at 53 After Cancer Battle
Jana Kramer and Allan Russell Get Married in Intimate Scotland Wedding
Facebook and Instagram roll back restrictions on Trump ahead of GOP convention