Current:Home > reviewsNovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center:'Revolting' evidence against Texas man includes videos of group sexual abuse of toddlers: FBI -Capitatum
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center:'Revolting' evidence against Texas man includes videos of group sexual abuse of toddlers: FBI
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-06 22:09:01
A Texas man is NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Centerin federal custody after the FBI linked him to videos from the dark web depicting group sexual assault on toddlers in a mall.
Arthur Hector Fernandez, 29, was arrested Dec. 18, 2023 in Kingwood, TX as the result of a Dec. 14 criminal complaint filed in federal court in Houston, records show.
According to the complaint, the Federal Bureau of Investigation was contacted by the Australian Centre to Counter Child Exploitation earlier in December. The organization shared with the FBI four videos posted on an invitation-only forum on the dark web.
The FBI were able to identify one of the children, less than 3 years old, through social media. A relative of the child was presented with a sanitized image of the video and recognized the bracelets an individual in the video was wearing as belonging to Fernandez, according to the complaint. The two became friends after working at nearby stores at the Galleria Mall in Houston, and he would watch the child for her occasionally while she worked, she told the FBI.
Investigators believe at least one of the videos is taken in a public restroom because a changing table is present, and the mall has public restrooms with changing tables, the complaint states.
"The evidence in this case is overwhelming and revolting," the judge wrote in a court order requiring Fernandez to remain detained pending trial. "I cannot allow (him) to abuse any other minors and there are no conditions or combination of conditions that can alleviate a danger to the community. This is not a close call."
Fernandez has been charged with the sexual exploitation of children. The public defender listed as Fernandez's attorney did not immediately respond to USA TODAY's request for comment Thursday.
Videos showed multiple males sexually abusing children less than 3 years old
The complaint details the graphic videos, in which the video's creator and one or two other males present sexually abuse two different children, both aged 2 to 3 years old.
The ACCCE shared the videos as they contained two common identifiers: two silver bracelets and white Converse All-Star shoes.
The FBI used an open-source image repository to match one of the toddlers to a relative who posted photos of the child on social media. She told investigators that Fernandez, who formerly worked at the mall, had offered to take care of the child when she could not find childcare. In addition to recognizing the bracelets, she also said Fernandez would often wear white Converse All-Stars.
The FBI also executed a search warrant for Fernandez's address, seizing his electronic devices and three pairs of the sneakers seen in the videos.
A search through Fernandez's Instagram account helped the FBI locate a relative of the second minor, the complaint states. She also worked at the mall, and would bring the child to work with her. She also told investigators that Fernandez took the child trick-or-treating on Halloween.
veryGood! (767)
Related
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- Anna Delvey's 'DWTS' run ends in elimination: She never stood a chance against critics.
- NFL Week 3 overreactions: Commanders are back, Vikings Super Bowl bound
- Trump says Ukraine is ‘dead’ and dismisses its defense against Russia’s invasion
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- Horoscopes Today, September 24, 2024
- Senate confirms commander of US Army forces in the Pacific after Tuberville drops objections
- These women spoke out about Diddy years ago. Why didn't we listen?
- The seven biggest college football quarterback competitions include Michigan, Ohio State
- A Missouri man has been executed for a 1998 murder. Was he guilty or innocent?
Ranking
- Connie Chiume, South African 'Black Panther' actress, dies at 72
- Judge approves $600 million settlement for residents near fiery Ohio derailment
- Jury awards $2.78 million to nanny over hidden camera in bedroom
- Ex-officer says he went along with ‘cover-up’ of fatal beating hoping Tyre Nichols would survive
- What polling shows about Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz, Harris’ new running mate
- Where is 'College GameDay' for Week 5? Location, what to know for ESPN show
- Harris plans to campaign on Arizona’s border with Mexico to show strength on immigration
- The University of Hawaii is about to get hundreds of millions of dollars to do military research
Recommendation
Travis Hunter, the 2
Harris plans to campaign on Arizona’s border with Mexico to show strength on immigration
DWTS’ Brooks Nader and Gleb Savchenko Detail “Chemistry” After Addressing Romance Rumors
Back with the Chiefs, running back Kareem Hunt wants to prove he’s matured, still has something left
Tropical rains flood homes in an inland Georgia neighborhood for the second time since 2016
Alabama police officers on leave following the fatal shooting of a 68-year-old man
East Bay native Marcus Semien broken-hearted to see the A's leaving the Oakland Coliseum
UNLV’s starting QB says he will no longer play over ‘representations’ that ‘were not upheld’