Current:Home > ContactFuture of Ohio’s education system is unclear after judge extends restraining order on K-12 overhaul -Capitatum
Future of Ohio’s education system is unclear after judge extends restraining order on K-12 overhaul
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 00:49:05
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — The future of Ohio’s public education system hung in the balance Wednesday after a judge once again extended an order preventing the state from moving forward with a planned GOP-backed overhaul that a group of parents has challenged as unconstitutional.
It’s the latest move in a legal chess game that has Republican Gov. Mike DeWine’s office scrambling over how to ensure that 1.6 million schoolchildren still have a functioning educational system — even if it could mean disobeying that temporary restraining order, which Franklin County Common Pleas Court Judge Karen Held Phipps extended until Oct. 20.
The conversion from the Ohio Department of Education, overseen by an independent state school board, to the Department of Education and Workforce, controlled by the governor, was part of a sweeping K-12 overhaul contained in the state’s budget back in July but was set to take effect Tuesday. A lawsuit filed just last month alleges that the new system Republican lawmakers created violates the constitution on multiple grounds.
Most notably, it would strip the constitutionally created and citizen-elected state board of most of its powers, which include setting academic standards and school curricula. This, the plaintiffs argue, would disregard the intention of a 1953 constitutional amendment that mandated the state board in order to give constituents more say in their children’s education than the governor.
The overhaul “is a prime example of the broader movement by extremist-controlled governors’ mansions and legislatures to deprive communities of meaningful representation,” Skye Perryman, president and chief executive of Democracy Forward, a national legal services nonprofit representing the plaintiffs, has said.
The original order, granted by Phipps on Sept. 21, blocked the state and DeWine from “enforcing, implementing, (and) complying with” the law. That includes “creating” the new education department and appointing a director to take on most of the state board’s responsibilities.
Despite the order, DeWine went forward on the advice of his attorneys with portions of the overhaul beginning Tuesday. The governor said the judge’s order only covers a part of the sweeping law that implements the overhaul.
The governor asserted in a news conference Monday that under the state budget, which is state law, the new department had to take effect at midnight Tuesday because the Ohio Department of Education dissolved at 11:59 p.m. Monday. He said no “affirmative action” on his part was necessary to “create” the department, since the budget he signed into law in July set the Oct. 3 effective date.
DeWine’s position is that no forward movement would result in the state being unable to write checks for schools, teachers and transportation workers or to approve state-funded private school vouchers, among other vital functions.
However, DeWine said he won’t be appointing a new director or transferring the state board’s powers to the department. The state’s current interim superintendent of public instruction, Chris Woolard, will lead the partial implementation.
“If someone wants to file a suit and say he can’t lead, have at it. All you’re doing is taking a leader away from the department that is there to help our kids,” DeWine said in the news conference.
The plaintiffs filed a motion Tuesday to clarify the temporary restraining order and stated that even if what DeWine is saying is true, his complying with the new department’s existence disobeys the court order.
If DeWine was truly concerned about funding for Ohio schools, he would have worked with the court to modify the order, instead of this “blatant violation,” Perryman said.
___
Samantha Hendrickson is a corps member for the Associated Press/Report for America Statehouse News Initiative. Report for America is a nonprofit national service program that places journalists in local newsrooms to report on undercovered issues.
veryGood! (99)
Related
- 'Meet me at the gate': Watch as widow scatters husband's ashes, BASE jumps into canyon
- Mississippi mayor says a Confederate monument is staying in storage during a lawsuit
- It was unique debut season for 212 MLB players during pandemic-altered 2020
- S&P 500, Dow hit record highs after Fed cuts rates. What it means for your 401(k).
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- Judge asked to cancel referendum in slave descendants’ zoning battle with Georgia county
- Police saved a baby in New Hampshire from a fentanyl overdose, authorities say
- Freddie Owens executed in South Carolina despite questions over guilt, mother's plea
- Man charged with murder in death of beloved Detroit-area neurosurgeon
- Miley Cyrus Makes Rare Public Appearance During Outing With Boyfriend Maxx Morando
Ranking
- Southern California rocked by series of earthquakes: Is a bigger one brewing?
- Federal officials have increased staff in recent months at NY jail where Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs is held
- Kentucky sheriff charged in judge’s death allegedly ignored deputy’s abuse of woman in his chambers
- An appeals court has revived a challenge to President Biden’s Medicare drug price reduction program
- Former Milwaukee hotel workers charged with murder after video shows them holding down Black man
- Footage shows NYPD officers firing at man with knife in subway shooting that wounded 4
- Alabama lawmaker arrested on domestic violence charge
- Police arrest 15-year old for making social media threats against DC schools
Recommendation
Immigration issues sorted, Guatemala runner Luis Grijalva can now focus solely on sports
Fantasy football kicker rankings for Week 3: Who is this week's Austin Seibert?
Police arrest 15-year old for making social media threats against DC schools
Married at First Sight's Jamie Otis Gives Birth, Welcomes Twins With Doug Hehner
NCAA President Charlie Baker would be 'shocked' if women's tournament revenue units isn't passed
Is Isaac Wilson related to Zach Wilson? Utah true freshman QB starts vs Oklahoma State
Lizzo Unveils Before-and-After Look at Weight Loss Transformation
Youngest NFL players: Jets RB Braelon Allen tops list for 2024