Current:Home > reviewsPolice say fentanyl killed 8-year-old Kentucky boy, not an allergic reaction to strawberries -Capitatum
Police say fentanyl killed 8-year-old Kentucky boy, not an allergic reaction to strawberries
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 23:18:46
MADISONVILLE, Ky. (AP) — An 8-year-old Kentucky boy died of a fentanyl overdose last month, not from eating a batch of strawberries, authorities said this week. The family had told police they believed the boy had an allergic reaction and took him to a hospital with a rash.
Police in the city of Madisonville charged 33-year-old Antonio M. Person with manslaughter on Wednesday after investigators determined the boy died of “fentanyl intoxication.”
Person was living in the same house as the boy and had fentanyl in the home, a Madisonville police report said, without elaborating on their relationship. Person was charged with drug trafficking and illegal gun possession in late March when police searched the home following the boy’s death.
When the boy developed the rash, his family gave him the antihistamine Benadryl and soaked him in a bath at home, but it did not go away, according to Madisonville police. The family took him to the emergency room but brought him home several hours later, according to police. He died the next morning on March 15.
The strawberries were sold at a high school fundraiser and the episode prompted the county’s health department to issue an advisory to dispose of the fruit. On Tuesday, the Hopkins County health department said testing on samples of the strawberries by the Food and Drug Administration showed they were safe to eat.
Person is in custody at Hopkins County Jail on a $1 million bond for the manslaughter charge.
veryGood! (3)
Related
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- Another twist in the Alex Murdaugh double murder case. Did the clerk tamper with the jury?
- Rams WR Cooper Kupp out for NFL Week 1 opener vs. Seahawks
- Battery parts maker Entek breaks ground on $1.5B manufacturing campus in western Indiana
- How breaking emerged from battles in the burning Bronx to the Paris Olympics stage
- Felony convictions vacated for 4 Navy officers in sprawling scandal
- 'Survivor 45' cast: Meet contestants competing for $1 million in new fall 2023 season
- Sophie Turner and Joe Jonas say they decided to amicably end our marriage
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- Kevin Bacon and Kyra Sedgwick celebrate 35 years of marriage: 'Feels like a heartbeat'
Ranking
- Tropical rains flood homes in an inland Georgia neighborhood for the second time since 2016
- Tom Brady Reveals His and Gisele Bündchen's Son Ben Is Following in His Football Footsteps
- Kim Jong Un plans to meet Vladimir Putin in Russia, U.S. official says
- Influencer Ruby Franke Officially Charged With 6 Counts of Felony Child Abuse
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- Battery parts maker Entek breaks ground on $1.5B manufacturing campus in western Indiana
- Trump was warned FBI could raid Mar-a-Lago, according to attorney's voice memos
- Spanish women's soccer coach who called World Cup kissing scandal real nonsense gets fired
Recommendation
FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
Raiders DE Chandler Jones away from team for 'private matter' after Instagram posts
Japan launches rocket carrying X-ray telescope to explore origins of universe, lunar lander
Poccoin: Cryptocurrency Through Its Darkest Moments
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
Indiana Gov. Holcomb leading weeklong foreign trade mission to Japan beginning Thursday
3-legged bear named Tripod takes 3 cans of White Claw from Florida family's back yard
Chuck E. Cheese to give away 500 free parties to kids on Sept. 7, ahead of most popular birthday