Current:Home > reviewsActivision Blizzard to pay $54 million to settle California state workplace discrimination claims -Capitatum
Activision Blizzard to pay $54 million to settle California state workplace discrimination claims
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-06 23:29:49
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Activision Blizzard has agreed to pay about $54 million to settle discrimination claims brought by California’s civil rights agency on behalf of women employed by the video game maker.
The settlement, which is subject to court approval, resolves allegations that the maker of Call of Duty, Overwatch, World of Warcraft and other video games “discriminated against women at the company, including denying promotion opportunities and paying them less than men for doing substantially similar work,” the California Civil Rights Department announced late Friday.
Allegations of workplace discrimination helped drag down Activision’s stock price in 2021, paving the way for Microsoft’s eventual takeover bid in January 2022. The software giant, which owns the Xbox gaming system, closed its $69 billion deal to buy Activision in October after fending off global opposition from antitrust regulators and rivals.
California’s civil rights agency sued Santa Monica-based Activision Blizzard in July 2021, alleging that female employees faced constant sexual harassment, that few women were named to leadership roles and that when they were, they earned less salary, incentive pay and total compensation than male peers.
Employees spoke up about harassment and discrimination, signing petitions criticizing the company for its defensive reaction to the lawsuit and staging a walkout.
Under the terms of the settlement, women who worked for the company between Oct. 12, 2015, and Dec. 31, 2020, either as hires or independent contractors, may be eligible for compensation. About $45.75 million of the settlement amount has been set aside for such payouts, the state agency said.
Activision Blizzard also agreed to take steps to ensure “fair pay and promotion practices” at the company.
“We appreciate the importance of the issues addressed in this agreement and we are dedicated to fully implementing all the new obligations we have assumed as part of it,” Activision Blizzard said in a statement Saturday.
The company also noted that the California Civil Rights Department agreed to file an amended complaint that withdraws sexual harassment allegations.
The settlement agreement declares that “no court or any independent investigation has substantiated any allegations” of systemic or widespread sexual harassment at Activision Blizzard, nor claims that the company’s board of directors and CEO acted improperly or ignored or tolerated a culture of harassment, retaliation or discrimination.
In September 2021, Activision settled sexual harassment and discrimination claims brought by the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, agreeing to create an $18 million fund to compensate people who were harassed or discriminated against.
And earlier this year, the company agreed to pay $35 million to settle Securities and Exchange Commission charges that it failed to maintain controls to collect and assess workplace complaints with regard to disclosure requirements and violated a federal whistleblower protection rule. In paying the settlement, Activision neither admitted nor denied the SEC’s findings and agreed to a cease-and-desist order.
veryGood! (5521)
Related
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Get This $379 Kate Spade Satchel for Just $90
- 8 high school students in Las Vegas arrested on murder charges in fatal beating of classmate
- 11 ex-police officers sentenced in 2021 killings of 17 migrants and 2 others in northern Mexico
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- Forty years on, 'Terms of Endearment' captures Jack Nicholson at his most iconic
- Biden announces 5 federal judicial nominees and stresses their varied professional backgrounds
- Suspected serial killer faces life in prison after being convicted of 2 murders by Delaware jury
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- Armenian leader snubs summit of Moscow-led security alliance
Ranking
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- How will a federal government shutdown affect me? Disruptions hit schools, air travel, more
- German union calls on train drivers to strike this week in a rancorous pay dispute
- GOP Sen. Markwayne Mullin challenges Teamsters president Sean O'Brien to fight at Senate hearing
- Jury finds man guilty of sending 17-year-old son to rob and kill rapper PnB Rock
- Ohio business owner sues Norfolk Southern for February derailment that closed his companies
- No Bazinga! CBS sitcom 'Young Sheldon' to end comedic run after seven seasons
- How Lisa Rinna's New Era Is All About Taking Risks and Embracing Change
Recommendation
Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
Dozens of babies' lives at risk as incubators at Gaza's Al Shifa hospital run out of power, Hamas-run health ministry says
Dutch court orders company to compensate 5 Iranian victims of Iraqi mustard gas attacks in the 1980s
Governor eases lockdowns at Wisconsin prisons amid lawsuit, seeks to improve safety
Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
Jury convicts Wisconsin woman of fatally poisoning her friend’s water with eye drops
8 teenagers arrested on murder charges after Las Vegas boy, 17, beaten by mob
German publisher to stop selling Putin books by reporter who allegedly accepted money from Russians