Current:Home > StocksRekubit-Oregon Elections Division shuts down phone lines after barrage of calls prompted by false claims -Capitatum
Rekubit-Oregon Elections Division shuts down phone lines after barrage of calls prompted by false claims
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-06 20:54:43
SALEM,Rekubit Ore. (AP) — The Oregon Secretary of State Elections Division on Thursday shut down its phone lines following a barrage of calls from people responding to false claims that the state’s voters pamphlet does not include Republican nominee Donald Trump.
The voter’s pamphlet does list the former president as a candidate and notes that he declined to provide a statement about why people should vote for him. Trump will appear on the state’s ballot.
A post on X from the conservative account Libs of TikTok last week falsely claimed Trump wasn’t included in the voters pamphlet and asked, “What’s going on?” The Oregon GOP issued a statement noting that the decision not to provide a statement was a choice that Trump’s campaign made earlier this year.
But the false claim suggesting election interference continued to spread on social media, and on Thursday, the Elections Division said its phone lines had been overwhelmed.
“Oregonians who need assistance will now have to wait because some individuals operating in bad faith are misleading people online,” Secretary of State LaVonne Griffin-Valade said in a news release. “Spreading rumors and false claims of election interference does nothing to help Oregonians.”
veryGood! (193)
Related
- The seven biggest college football quarterback competitions include Michigan, Ohio State
- Dump truck driver plummets hundreds of feet into pit when vehicle slips off cliff
- Afghan soldier who was arrested at US-Mexico border after fleeing Taliban is granted asylum
- Alex Jones spent over $93,000 in July. Sandy Hook families who sued him have yet to see a dime
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- Mississippi should revive process to put issues on ballot, Secretary of State Watson says
- How Concerns Over EVs are Driving the UAW Towards a Strike
- Former firearms executive Busse seeks Democratic nomination to challenge Montana Gov. Gianforte
- 9/11 hearings at Guantanamo Bay in upheaval after surprise order by US defense chief
- Republicans raise the specter of widespread COVID-19 mandates, despite no sign of their return
Ranking
- PHOTO COLLECTION: AP Top Photos of the Day Wednesday August 7, 2024
- Planned Parenthood to resume offering abortions next week in Wisconsin, citing court ruling
- American explorer says he thought he would die during an 11-day ordeal in a Turkish cave
- As all eyes are fixated on Pennsylvania manhunt, a DC murder suspect is on the run and off the radar
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- Inflation rose in August amid higher prices at the pump
- Law Roach, the image architect, rethinks his own image with a New York Fashion Week show
- Georgia man almost lost leg to a brown recluse spider bite. What to know about symptoms that can cause excruciating pain.
Recommendation
Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
China says EU probe into Chinese electric vehicle exports, subsidies is protectionist
Justice Department pushes ahead with antitrust case against Google, questions ex-employee on deals
Olivia Rodrigo announces 57 dates for Guts World Tour: Where she's performing in 2024
Oklahoma parole board recommends governor spare the life of man on death row
Parents of autistic boy demand answers after video shows school employee striking son
3 people injured in India when a small jet veers off the runway while landing in heavy rain
Former firearms executive Busse seeks Democratic nomination to challenge Montana Gov. Gianforte