Current:Home > reviewsDonald Trump moves to halt hush money proceedings, sentencing after asking federal court to step in -Capitatum
Donald Trump moves to halt hush money proceedings, sentencing after asking federal court to step in
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-07 00:49:03
NEW YORK (AP) — Former President Donald Trump’s lawyers moved Friday to halt proceedings in his New York hush money criminal case and postpone next month’s sentencing indefinitely while he fights to have a federal court intervene and potentially overturn his felony conviction.
In a letter to the judge presiding over the case in state court, Trump’s lawyers asked that he hold off on a decision, slated for Sept. 16, on Trump’s request to overturn the verdict and dismiss the indictment in the wake of the U.S. Supreme Court’s recent presidential immunity ruling.
Trump’s lawyers also urged the trial judge, Juan M. Merchan, to postpone Trump’s Sept. 18 sentencing indefinitely while the U.S. District Court in Manhattan weighs their request late Thursday that it seize the case from the state court where it was tried.
Trump’s lawyers said delaying the proceedings is the “only appropriate course” as they seek to have the federal court rectify a verdict they say was tainted by violations of the Republican presidential nominee’s constitutional rights and the Supreme Court’s ruling that gives ex-presidents broad protections from prosecution.
If the case is moved to federal court, Trump’s lawyers said they will then seek to have the verdict overturned and the case dismissed on immunity grounds. They previously asked Merchan to delay Trump’s sentencing until after the November election. He hadn’t ruled on that request as of Friday.
“There is no good reason to sentence President Trump prior to November 5, 2024, if there is to be a sentencing at all, or to drive the post-trial proceedings forward on a needlessly accelerated timeline,” Trump’s lawyers Todd Blanche and Emil Bove wrote.
The letter, dated Thursday, was not added to the docket in Trump’s state court case until Friday.
Merchan did not immediately respond. The Manhattan district attorney’s office, which prosecuted Trump’s case, declined to comment. The office objected to Trump’s previous effort to move the case out of state court last year and has fought his attempt to get the case dismissed on immunity grounds.
Trump was convicted in May of 34 felony counts of falsifying business records to conceal a $130,000 hush money payment to porn actor Stormy Daniels, whose affair allegations threatened to disrupt his 2016 presidential run. Trump has denied her claim and said he did nothing wrong.
Falsifying business records is punishable by up to four years behind bars. Other potential sentences include probation or a fine.
The Supreme Court’s July 1 ruling reins in prosecutions of ex-presidents for official acts and restricts prosecutors in pointing to official acts as evidence that a president’s unofficial actions were illegal.
Trump’s lawyers have argued that prosecutors rushed to trial instead of waiting for the Supreme Court’s presidential immunity decision, and that prosecutors erred by showing jurors evidence that should not have been allowed under the ruling, such as former White House staffers describing how he reacted to news coverage of the hush money deal and tweets he sent while president in 2018.
Trump’s lawyers had previously invoked presidential immunity in a failed bid last year to get the hush money case moved from state court to federal court.
veryGood! (43733)
Related
- Carolinas bracing for second landfall from Tropical Storm Debby: Live updates
- Sunday Morning 2023 Food Issue recipe index
- Shakira Reveals Why She Decided to Finally Resolve Tax Fraud Case for $7.6 Million
- Christian conservatives flock to former telenovela star in Mexico’s presidential race
- Hidden Home Gems From Kohl's That Will Give Your Space a Stylish Refresh for Less
- Alert level downgraded for Papua New Guinea’s tallest volcano
- New Mexico Supreme Court weighs GOP challenge to congressional map, swing district boundaries
- 49ers lose All-Pro safety Talanoa Hufanga for season due to torn ACL
- NCAA President Charlie Baker would be 'shocked' if women's tournament revenue units isn't passed
- A cholera outbreak in Zimbabwe is suspected of killing more than 150 and is leaving many terrified
Ranking
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- A new study says the global toll of lead exposure is even worse than we thought
- A cholera outbreak in Zimbabwe is suspected of killing more than 150 and is leaving many terrified
- Bills left tackle Dion Dawkins says he's 'not a fan of the Jets' after postgame skirmish
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- How Mark Wahlberg’s Kids Are Following in His Footsteps
- Musk’s X sues liberal advocacy group Media Matters over its report on ads next to hate groups’ posts
- Mariah Carey’s 12-Year-Old Twins Deserve an Award for This Sweet Billboard Music Awards 2023 Moment
Recommendation
What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
California male nanny sentenced to over 700 years for sexual assaulting, filming young boys
Florida State confirms Jordan Travis' college career is over after leg injury
As Taylor Swift cheers for Travis Kelce and Chiefs, some Eagles fans feel 'betrayed'
Jamaica's Kishane Thompson more motivated after thrilling 100m finish against Noah Lyles
Ohio state lawmaker accused of hostile behavior will be investigated by outside law firm
Why Taylor Swift Is Missing the Chiefs vs. Eagles Game
Utah special election for Congress sees Republican former House staffer face Democratic legislator