Current:Home > InvestRekubit Exchange:Sean "Diddy" Combs Charged With Sex Trafficking and Racketeering Hours After New York Arrest -Capitatum
Rekubit Exchange:Sean "Diddy" Combs Charged With Sex Trafficking and Racketeering Hours After New York Arrest
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-06 07:02:38
Sean "Diddy" Combs is Rekubit Exchangefacing more legal trouble.
Just hours after the music mogul was arrested in New York, a federal indictment was unsealed and obtained by NBC News Sept. 17, revealing he's been charged with racketeering conspiracy, sex trafficking and transportation to engage in prostitution.
The documents allege that "for decades" Diddy "abused, threatened, and coerced women and others around him to fulfill his sexual desires, protect his reputation, and conceal his conduct."
"To do so," the paperwork continues, "COMBS relied on the employees, resources, and influence of the multi-faceted business empire that he led and controlled--creating a criminal enterprise whose members and associates engaged in, and attempted to engage in, among other crimes, sex trafficking, forced labor, kidnapping, arson, bribery, and obstruction of justice."
Diddy, who has yet to address the latest details in the case against him, arrived at an NYC courtroom Sept. 17 to face the charges.
"He came to New York to basically engage the court system and start the case," his attorney Marc Agnifilo told reports outside court, via NBC News, "and it will start today and he’s going to plead not guilty. He’s going to fight this with all of his energy and all of his might and the full confidence of his lawyers."
After the 54-year-old was taken into custody on Sept. 16, U.S. Attorney Damian Williams shared with NBC News that federal agents arrested him based on a then-sealed indictment.
As Diddy's legal team stated at the time, he "voluntarily relocated to New York last week in anticipation of these charges."
"Please reserve your judgment until you have all the facts," attorney Agnifilo said Sept. 16. "These are the acts of an innocent man with nothing to hide, and he looks forward to clearing his name in court.”
For more details on Diddy's legal troubles, keep reading...
(E! and NBC News are both part of the NBCUniversal family.)
Federal agents with Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) executed search warrants at Sean “Diddy” Combs’ Los Angeles and Miami properties on March 25, multiple law enforcement sources confirmed to NBC News.
The sources told the outlet the warrant was out of the Southern District of New York, and a spokesperson for HSI New York confirmed to E! News it “executed law enforcement actions as part of an ongoing investigation, with assistance from HSI Los Angeles, HSI Miami, and our local law enforcement partners.”
Law enforcement sources told NBC News the music mogul was in the Miami area when the search warrants were executed.
News about the investigation broke after Combs faced allegations of sexual misconduct in lawsuits filed by multiple accusers starting in November, with the musician denying the allegations.
“Sickening allegations have been made against me by individuals looking for a quick payday,” he wrote in a December statement posted on Instagram. “Let me be absolutely clear: I did not do any of the awful things being alleged. I will fight for my name, my family and for the truth.”
The day after HSI executed the search warrants at Combs' L.A. and Miami properties, his lawyer spoke out.
"Yesterday, there was a gross overuse of military-level force as search warrants were executed at Mr. Combs' residences," attorney Aaron Dyer said in a March 26 statement to E! News. "There is no excuse for the excessive show of force and hostility exhibited by authorities or the way his children and employees were treated."
Dyer noted Combs “was never detained but spoke to and cooperated with authorities.”
“Despite media speculation, neither Mr. Combs nor any of his family members have been arrested nor has their ability to travel been restricted in any way,” his lawyer's statement continued. “This unprecedented ambush—paired with an advanced, coordinated media presence—leads to a premature rush to judgment of Mr. Combs and is nothing more than a witch hunt based on meritless accusations made in civil lawsuits.”
And Dyer expressed Combs' intent to defend himself.
“There has been no finding of criminal or civil liability with any of these allegations,” he added. “Mr. Combs is innocent and will continue to fight every single day to clear his name.”
As for what actually went down during the searches, multiple law enforcement sources familiar with the warrant told NBC News authorities with the Department of Homeland Security seized phones from Combs’ home in Miami before he was scheduled to travel to the Bahamas, and several sources familiar with the matter added that guns were discovered during the search.
One source familiar with the matter also told NBC News three women and one man were interviewed by prosecutors and investigators from the Southern District of New York about allegations of sex trafficking, sexual assault, the solicitation and distribution of illegal narcotics and firearms purportedly tied to Combs.
On the same day the search warrants were executed at Combs’ Miami and Los Angeles properties, one of his associates, Brendan Paul, was arrested by the Miami-Dade police on suspicion of drug possession, a law enforcement source familiar with the matter told NBC News.
According to the Miami-Dade arrest affidavit obtained by the outlet, Paul was taken into custody for allegedly possessing suspected cocaine and suspected marijuana candy.
Prison records obtained by NBC News show Paul was released on March 26 after posting bond.
“We do not plan on trying this case in the media,” Paul’s attorney Brian Bieber said in a statement obtained by the outlet, “all issues will be dealt with in court.”
He was arrested in the lobby of a New York hotel on Sept. 16, 2024, according to NBC News. It's unclear what Combs has been charged with and if the arrest has any potential connection to the raids.
“We are disappointed with the decision to pursue what we believe is an unjust prosecution of Mr. Combs by the U.S. Attorney’s Office," his lawyer Marc Agnifilo said in a statement to E! News. "He is an imperfect person but Is not criminal. To his credit Mr. Combs has been nothing but cooperative with this investigation and he voluntarily relocated to New York last week in anticipation of these charges."
veryGood! (46647)
Related
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- Sicily Yacht Sinking: 4 Bodies Recovered From the Wreckage By Divers
- Man shot by 2-year-old at Virginia home in what police call an accidental shooting
- Jennifer Lopez files to divorce Ben Affleck on second wedding anniversary
- USA men's volleyball mourns chance at gold after losing 5-set thriller, will go for bronze
- Nebraska lawmakers pass bills to slow the rise of property taxes. Some are pushing to try harder.
- Colts' Anthony Richardson tops 2024 fantasy football breakout candidates
- 5-time Olympian cyclist found dead in Las Vegas: 'May she rest in peace'
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- PHOTO COLLECTION: Election-2024- Robert F. Kennedy Jr.
Ranking
- Kehlani Responds to Hurtful Accusation She’s in a Cult
- Florida quietly removes LGBTQ+ travel info from state website
- Missouri man makes life-or-death effort to prove innocence before execution scheduled for next month
- 'Beyond excited': Alex Cooper's 'Call Her Daddy' podcast inks major deal with SiriusXM
- Vance jokes he’s checking out his future VP plane while overlapping with Harris at Wisconsin airport
- Run to Score Loungefly Fan Gear Up to 70% Off: $12 Wallets & $27 Backpacks from Disney, Pixar, NFL & More
- Is Ford going to introduce a 4-door Mustang? Dealers got a preview of the concept
- Utah lawsuit seeks state control over vast areas of federal land
Recommendation
IOC's decision to separate speed climbing from other disciplines paying off
Disney drops arbitration push, agrees to have wrongful death lawsuit decided in court
Stock market today: Wall Street pulls closer to records after retailers top profit forecasts
Pumpkin Spice Latte officially back at Starbucks this week: Plus, a new apple-flavored drink
Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
NY state urges appeals court to uphold Donald Trump’s nearly $500 million civil fraud judgment
Horoscopes Today, August 20, 2024
Olympian Aly Raisman Made This One Major Lifestyle Change to Bring Her Peace