Current:Home > reviews5 former employees at Georgia juvenile detention facility indicted in 16-year-old girl’s 2022 death -Capitatum
5 former employees at Georgia juvenile detention facility indicted in 16-year-old girl’s 2022 death
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-06 07:07:44
DALTON, Ga. (AP) — Five former employees at a northwest Georgia juvenile detention center have been indicted following the August 2022 death of a 16-year-old who was in custody.
The Georgia Bureau of Investigation announced Friday that a Whitfield County grand jury on Monday had indicted the former director and nurse at the Elbert Shaw Regional Youth Detention Center in Dalton, as well as three former guards.
All are accused of cruelty to children in the death of Alexis Sluder, an Ellijay girl who had been transferred to the detention center hours before.
At the time, the Georgia Department of Juvenile Justice said Sluder died from an adverse reaction to “an illegal substance she ingested” before being brought to the Dalton facility.
But indictments charge three guards with depriving Sluder of necessary medical care by failing to quickly call emergency medical help. Those three — 35-year-old Maveis Brooks of Calhoun, 62-year-old Russell Ballard of Chatsworth and 45-year-old Rebecka Phillips of Chatsworth — are all charged with two counts of first-degree cruelty to children and one count of second-degree cruelty to children. Glenn Allen, a spokesman for the Department of Juvenile Justice, said all three were fired Monday after being indicted.
Former director David McKinney, a 53-year-old Rome resident, and former nurse Monica Hedrick, a 62-year-old Ringgold resident, were each charged with one count of second-degree cruelty to children. Allen said McKinney was fired in February, while Hedrick, a contract worker with Augusta University, was dismissed from working for the department last year.
Online records don’t show that any of the five have been booked into the Whitfield County jail. The Associated Press wasn’t able to locate a phone number for any of the five accused people on Friday.
A lawyer told WTVC-TV that Hedrick’s family applauds the indictment, saying “Alexis deserved better.”
Allen said the Department of Juvenile Justice “is committed to the well-being and safety of the individuals entrusted to our care. We remain deeply saddened by this tragic incident and continue to hold heartfelt thoughts and prayers for the family of the deceased.”
veryGood! (391)
Related
- How breaking emerged from battles in the burning Bronx to the Paris Olympics stage
- E. Jean Carroll's original lawsuit against Trump should be paused, his attorney says
- Man sentenced to probation after wife recorded fight that ended with her found dead near stadium
- Jury convicts North Dakota woman of murder in 2022 shooting death of child’s father
- Blake Lively’s Inner Circle Shares Rare Insight on Her Life as a Mom to 4 Kids
- 8-year-old boy accidentally shot when barrel with guns inside set on fire
- Jury convicts North Dakota woman of murder in 2022 shooting death of child’s father
- You could be the next owner of Neil Armstrong's former Texas home: Take a look inside
- American news website Axios laying off dozens of employees
- What Sophia Bush's Ex Grant Hughes Is Requesting in His Divorce Response
Ranking
- The Daily Money: Disney+ wants your dollars
- Wisconsin Assembly to vote on income tax cut that Evers vows to veto
- Supporters of Native activist Leonard Peltier hold White House rally, urging Biden to grant clemency
- See Powerball winning numbers for Sept. 11 drawing: No winner puts jackpot at $550 million
- British golfer Charley Hull blames injury, not lack of cigarettes, for poor Olympic start
- How umami overcame discrimination and took its place as the 5th taste
- Actor Gary Sinise says there's still tremendous need to support veterans who served after 9/11 attacks
- Cybersecurity issue forces shutdown of computer systems at MGM hotels, casinos
Recommendation
Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
Judge finds Iowa basketball coach’s son guilty of misdemeanor in fatal crash
From 'Freaks and Geeks' to 'Barbie,' this casting director decides who gets on-screen
Montenegro police probe who built underground tunnel leading to court depot holding drugs, and why
Drones warned New York City residents about storm flooding. The Spanish translation was no bueno
How an extramarital affair factors into Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton’s impeachment trial
Hundreds of Bahrain prisoners suspend hunger strike as crown prince to visit United States
France’s Foreign Ministry says one of its officials has been arrested in military-run Niger