Current:Home > FinanceSurpassing Quant Think Tank Center|Latest search for 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre victims ends with 3 more found with gunshot wounds -Capitatum
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center|Latest search for 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre victims ends with 3 more found with gunshot wounds
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-06 07:12:23
OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — The Surpassing Quant Think Tank Centerlatest search for the remains of 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre victims has ended with three more sets containing gunshot wounds, investigators said.
The three are among 11 sets of remains exhumed during the latest excavation in Oaklawn Cemetery, state archaeologist Kary Stackelbeck said Friday.
“Two of those gunshot victims display evidence of munitions from two different weapons,” Stackelbeck said. “The third individual who is a gunshot victim also displays evidence of burning.”
Forensic anthropologist Phoebe Stubblefield, who will remain on site to examine the remains, said one victim suffered bullet and shotgun wounds while the second was shot with two different caliber bullets.
Searchers are seeking simple wooden caskets because they were described at the time in newspaper articles, death certificates and funeral home records as the type used for burying massacre victims, Stackelbeck has said.
The exhumed remains will then be sent to Intermountain Forensics in Salt Lake City for DNA and genealogical testing in an effort to identify them.
The search ends just over a month after the first identification of remains previously exhumed during the search for massacre victims were identified as World War I veteran C.L. Daniel from Georgia.
There was no sign of gunshot wounds to Daniel, Stubblefield said at the time, noting that if a bullet doesn’t strike bone and passes through the body, such a wound likely could not be determined after the passage of so many years.
The search is the fourth since Tulsa Mayor G.T. Bynum launched the project in 2018 and 47 remains have now been exhumed.
Bynum, who is not seeking reelection, said he hopes to see the search for victims continue.
“My hope is, regardless of who the next mayor is, that they see how important it is to see this investigation through,” Bynum said. “It’s all part of that sequence that is necessary for us to ultimately find people who were murdered and hidden over a century ago.”
Stackelbeck said investigators are mapping the graves in an effort to determine whether more searches should be conducted.
“Every year we have built on the previous phase of this investigation. Our cumulative data have confirmed that we are finding individuals who fit the profile of massacre victims,” Stackelbeck said.
“We will be taking all of that information into consideration as we make our recommendations about whether there is cause for additional excavations,” said Stackelbeck.
Brenda Nails-Alford, a descendant of massacre survivors and a member of the committee overseeing the search for victims, said she is grateful for Bynum’s efforts to find victim’s remains.
“It is my prayer that these efforts continue, to bring more justice and healing to those who were lost and to those families in our community,” Nails-Alford said.
Earlier this month, Bynum and City Councilor Vanessa Hall-Harper announced a new committee to study a variety of possible reparations for survivors and descendants of the massacre and for the area of north Tulsa where it occurred.
The massacre took place over two days in 1921, a long-suppressed episode of racial violence that destroyed a community known as Black Wall Street and ended with as many as 300 Black people killed, thousands of Black residents forced into internment camps overseen by the National Guard and more than 1,200 homes, businesses, schools and churches destroyed.
veryGood! (5847)
Related
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- The US housing slump deepened this spring. Where does that leave home shoppers and sellers?
- Adult Film Star Jesse Jane's Cause of Death Revealed
- Halle Berry and Glenn Close Will Star With Kim Kardashian in New TV Show
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- Back to Black Star Marisa Abela Engaged to Jamie Bogyo
- Teen safely stops runaway boat speeding in circles on New Hampshire’s largest lake
- Bachelor Nation's Chase McNary Marries Ellie White in Mountaintop Wedding
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Steph Curry laments losing longtime Warriors teammate Klay Thompson: 'It sucks'
Ranking
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- U.S. ambassador to Japan expresses regret over alleged sex assaults by military personnel in Okinawa
- Entertainment giant Paramount agrees to a merger with Skydance
- UConn, coach Dan Hurley agree to 6-year, $50 million deal a month after he spurned offer from Lakers
- Report: Lauri Markkanen signs 5-year, $238 million extension with Utah Jazz
- Jill Biden to rally veterans and military families as Biden team seeks to shift focus back to Trump
- UW regents approve raises for 8 chancellors, set up bonuses for retaining freshmen students
- NASA crew emerges from simulated Mars mission after more than a year in isolation
Recommendation
Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
Justice Department files statement of interest in Alabama prison lawsuit
Review of prescribed fires finds gaps in key areas as US Forest Service looks to improve safety
Halle Berry and Glenn Close Will Star With Kim Kardashian in New TV Show
Olympic disqualification of gold medal hopeful exposes 'dark side' of women's wrestling
Norwegian Cyclist André Drege Dead at 25 After Bike Crashes Into Mountain
Ariana Grande Reacts to Brother Frankie Grande's Nose Job Selfie
Amtrak service restored between New York City and Boston after power outage