Current:Home > MyChainkeen|A new 'Star Wars' trilogy is in the works: Here's what we know -Capitatum
Chainkeen|A new 'Star Wars' trilogy is in the works: Here's what we know
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-06 11:33:00
The ChainkeenForce has awakened once again.
A new trilogy of "Star Wars" films, set to be written and produced by Simon Kinberg, is in the works at Lucasfilm, a person familiar with the studio's plans who was unauthorized to speak publicly confirmed to USA TODAY.
The movies are in the very early stages of development and are said to be the beginning of a new saga, not a continuation of the Skywalker Saga that comprised "Star Wars" Episodes I through IX. Plot details have not been disclosed, and it was not immediately clear whether they will receive numerical titles like the Skywalker Saga movies.
Kinberg is best known for his work in the "X-Men" franchise, having written several entries and directed 2019's "Dark Phoenix." He also co-created the popular animated series "Star Wars Rebels," working alongside Dave Filoni, who would go on to executive produce "The Mandalorian" and create "Ahsoka."
Depending on when — or if — Kinberg's films hit theaters, they could be the first new trilogy of "Star Wars" movies since the sequel trilogy that ran from 2015 to 2019 and consisted of "The Force Awakens," "The Last Jedi," and "The Rise of Skywalker." Separately, two standalone spin-off films were released in 2016 and 2018: "Rogue One" and "Solo."
Need a break? Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
No new "Star Wars" movie has been released in nearly five years following "The Rise of Skywalker," which received mixed reviews and polarized reactions among fans.
New 'The Acolyte' trailerfor May the 4th, plus 'Star Wars' movies, TV shows in the works
But several "Star Wars" films have been announced that are in various stages of development and may or may not actually make their way across the finish line. Daisy Ridley is set to star in a film that will see her character, Rey, building a new Jedi Order after the events of "The Rise of Skywalker." Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy is directing.
'The Acolyte' star Amandla Stenbergslams 'targeted attack' by 'the alt-right' on 'Star Wars' show
"Logan" filmmaker James Mangold has also been tapped to direct a movie about the dawn of the Jedi, and Filoni is directing one said to "close out the interconnected stories" told in the live-action Disney+ shows like "The Mandalorian." A movie continuing the story of "The Mandalorian," titled "The Mandalorian & Grogu," is also on the way from director Jon Favreau and scheduled for release in May 2026.
Lucasfilm has seemingly struggled to figure out the best way to return the franchise to the big screen. Numerous "Star Wars" movies have been announced, only to never end up happening, including a trilogy of films from "The Last Jedi" director Rian Johnson revealed almost exactly seven years ago.
"Wonder Woman" director Patty Jenkins in 2020 was also announced to be directing a film titled "Rogue Squadron" that was scheduled for release in December 2023, but the month came and went with no movie. Earlier this year, Jenkins said she is back to working on the film, but there have been no major updates since.
"Thor: Ragnarok" director Taika Waititi and Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige have also been attached to "Star Wars" projects over the years that have yet to materialize.
For now, the "Star Wars" series remains on the small screen. The franchise's next live-action Disney+ show, "Star Wars: Skeleton Crew," will debut in December.
veryGood! (1)
Related
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- 'The Bear' is back ... and so is our thirst for Jeremy Allen White. Should we tone it down?
- Sotomayor’s dissent: A president should not be a ‘king above the law’
- Former Raiders coach Jon Gruden loses bid for state high court reconsideration in NFL emails lawsuit
- PHOTO COLLECTION: AP Top Photos of the Day Wednesday August 7, 2024
- 'House of the Dragon' tragic twins get burial by chocolate with cake used for dirt
- No. 3 seed Aryna Sabalenka withdraws from Wimbledon with shoulder injury
- Hurricane Beryl maps show path and landfall forecast
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- Nelly Korda withdraws from London tournament after being bitten by a dog
Ranking
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- Bill defining antisemitism in North Carolina signed by governor
- Paul George agrees to four-year, $212 million deal with Sixers
- Zayn Malik Shares Daughter Khai's Sweet Reaction to Learning He's a Singer
- Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
- Former Raiders coach Jon Gruden loses bid for state high court reconsideration in NFL emails lawsuit
- Campaign to get new political mapmaking system on Ohio’s ballot submits more than 700,000 signatures
- No. 3 seed Aryna Sabalenka withdraws from Wimbledon with shoulder injury
Recommendation
The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
Willie Nelson expected back on road for Outlaw Music Festival concert tour
Klay Thompson is leaving the Warriors and will join the Mavericks, AP sources say
How Michael Phelps Adjusted His Eating Habits After His 10,000-Calorie Diet
Organizers cancel Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna over fears of an attack
From small clubs to BRIT Awards glory, RAYE shares her journey of resilience: When you believe in something, you have to go for it
Simone Biles deserves this Paris Olympics spot, and the happiness that comes with it
Mets OF Brandon Nimmo sits out against Nationals after fainting in hotel room and cutting forehead