Current:Home > reviewsBluesky has added 1 million users since the US election as people seek alternatives to X -Capitatum
Bluesky has added 1 million users since the US election as people seek alternatives to X
SignalHub View
Date:2025-04-06 04:37:30
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Social media site Bluesky has gained 1 million new users in the week since the U.S. election, as some X users look for an alternative platform to post their thoughts and engage with others online.
Bluesky said Wednesday that its total users surged to 15 million, up from roughly 13 million at the end of October.
Championed by former Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey, Bluesky was an invitation-only space until it opened to the public in February. That invite-only period gave the site time to build out moderation tools and other features. The platform resembles Elon Musk’s X, with a “discover” feed as well a chronological feed for accounts that users follow. Users can send direct messages and pin posts, as well as find “starter packs” that provide a curated list of people and custom feeds to follow.
The post-election uptick in users isn’t the first time that Bluesky has benefitted from people leaving X. Bluesky gained 2.6 million users in the week after X was banned in Brazil in August — 85% of them from Brazil, the company said. About 500,000 new users signed up in the span of one day last month, when X signaled that blocked accounts would be able to see a user’s public posts.
Despite Bluesky’s growth, X posted last week that it had “dominated the global conversation on the U.S. election” and had set new records. The platform saw a 15.5% jump in new-user signups on Election Day, X said, with a record 942 million posts worldwide. Representatives for Bluesky and for X did not respond to requests for comment.
Bluesky has referenced its competitive relationship to X through tongue-in-cheeks comments, including an Election Day post on X referencing Musk watching voting results come in with President-elect Donald Trump.
“I can guarantee that no Bluesky team members will be sitting with a presidential candidate tonight and giving them direct access to control what you see online,” Bluesky said.
Across the platform, new users — among of them journalists, left-leaning politicians and celebrities — have posted memes and shared that they were looking forward to using a space free from advertisements and hate speech. Some said it reminded them of the early days of X, when it was still Twitter.
On Wednesday, The Guardian said it would no longer post on X, citing “far right conspiracy theories and racism” on the site as a reason.
Last year, advertisers such as IBM, NBCUniversal and its parent company Comcast fled X over concerns about their ads showing up next to pro-Nazi content and hate speech on the site in general, with Musk inflaming tensions with his own posts endorsing an antisemitic conspiracy theory.
veryGood! (46)
Related
- Connie Chiume, Black Panther Actress, Dead at 72: Lupita Nyong'o and More Pay Tribute
- The Quantum Hi-Tech Dreams Of A Rapping African Education Minister
- Klaus Teuber, creator behind popular Catan board game, dies at age 70
- Apple iPad 24-Hour Flash Deal: Save 40% on a Product Bundle With Accessories
- 'Meet me at the gate': Watch as widow scatters husband's ashes, BASE jumps into canyon
- An Amazon Delivery Driver Killed A Spider For A Grateful Customer. There's A Video
- Knock 3 Times To Reveal These Secrets About Now and Then
- Kourtney Kardashian Claps Back at Critic Who Says She Used to Be So Classy
- Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
- The FBI Keeps Using Clues From Volunteer Sleuths To Find The Jan. 6 Capitol Rioters
Ranking
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- French President Emmanuel Macron turns to China's Xi Jinping to push for Russia-Ukraine peace talks
- VH1's The X-Life Star Denise Russo Dead at 44
- Raise a Glass to the 2023 Oscars With These Award-Worthy Drink Recipes
- Family of explorer who died in the Titan sub implosion seeks $50M-plus in wrongful death lawsuit
- How To Have Your Vaccine Confirmation On You At All Times
- A small town on Ireland's coast is eagerly preparing for a Biden visit
- China scores another diplomatic victory as Iran-Saudi Arabia reconciliation advances
Recommendation
Connie Chiume, South African 'Black Panther' actress, dies at 72
Pete Davidson ordered to do community service, traffic school after LA car crash
If You're Hungover or Super Tired, These 14 Magical Products Will Help You Recover After a Long Night
Selena Gomez Praises Best Friend Francia Raísa Nearly 6 Years After Kidney Donation
Man charged with murder in death of beloved Detroit-area neurosurgeon
Carlee Russell’s Ex-Boyfriend Reacts After She Admits Kidnapping Was a Hoax
Toronto International Film Festival announces 2023 movie lineup amid Hollywood strikes
When Sea Levels Rise, Who Should Pay?