Current:Home > MarketsPrince William wants to see "end to the fighting" in Israel-Hamas war as soon as possible -Capitatum
Prince William wants to see "end to the fighting" in Israel-Hamas war as soon as possible
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-07 03:21:44
As the death toll in Gaza rises, Prince William said he wants to see an "end to the fighting" in the Israel-Hamas war as soon as possible.
William, who recently returned to public royal duties after taking time off while his wife Kate, the Princess of Wales, recovered from surgery, said it was critical for aid to get into Gaza. He also called for the release of the Israeli hostages taken during Hamas' deadly Oct. 7 attack on Israel.
"Sometimes it is only when faced with the sheer scale of human suffering that the importance of permanent peace is brought home," William said in a statement on social media. "Even in the darkest hour, we must not succumb to the counsel of despair. I continue to cling to the hope that a brighter future can be found and I refuse to give up on that."
Roughly 1,200 people were killed in the Oct. 7 attack on Israel, with around 240 taken hostage in Gaza, according to Israeli officials. An estimated 29,000 people have been killed in Gaza in the months since, according to the Hamas-run Gaza Health Ministry.
William's statement comes as King Charles battles cancer. Buckingham Palace said the monarch would step back from his public duties during treatment.
Members of the British royal family rarely make public statements about global conflicts. A spokesperson for William and Kate had stated the situation in Israel and Gaza just days after Hamas' deadly Oct. 7 attack on Israel.
"The horrors inflicted by Hamas's terrorist attack upon Israel are appalling; they utterly condemn them," the spokesperson said in an Oct. 11 public statement. "As Israel exercises its right of self defence, all Israelis and Palestinians will continue to be stalked by grief, fear and anger in the time to come. Their Royal Highnesses hold all the victims, their families and their friends in their hearts and minds."
A Kensington Palace spokesperson said William had "followed the region closely" since his visit there in 2018. The spokesperson said William made Tuesday's statement because of "the extent of the human suffering that is on display."
William also met with members of the British Red Cross on Tuesday to learn how the organization is aiding those impacted by conflict in the Middle East. His upcoming schedule also includes a conversation at a synagogue with young people who are advocates against hatred and antisemitism.
"The Prince of Wales will undertake engagements which recognise the human suffering caused by the ongoing war in the Middle East and the subsequent conflict in Gaza, as well as the rise of antisemitism around the world," according to his schedule.
The United States on Tuesday vetoed a United Nations resolution demanding an immediate humanitarian cease-fire in the Israel-Hamas war. The United Kingdom abstained from the vote.
- In:
- British Royal Family
- Hamas
- Israel
- Gaza Strip
Aliza Chasan is a digital producer at 60 Minutes and CBSNews.com. She has previously written for outlets including PIX11 News, The New York Daily News, Inside Edition and DNAinfo. Aliza covers trending news, often focusing on crime and politics.
TwitterveryGood! (95)
Related
- Illinois Gov. Pritzker calls for sheriff to resign after Sonya Massey shooting
- China’s defense minister has been MIA for a month. His ministry isn’t making any comment
- Russian figure skater Kamila Valieva’s Olympic doping case will resume for two more days in November
- Authorities probe Amazon 'click activity' for possible knives in Idaho killings
- Oklahoma parole board recommends governor spare the life of man on death row
- Tennessee inmate on death row for 28 years fights for his freedom
- Kia, Hyundai recall over 3.3 million vehicles for potential fire-related issues
- See top 25 lottery jackpots of all time ahead of Wednesday's Powerball drawing
- $1 Frostys: Wendy's celebrates end of summer with sweet deal
- Talking Heads' 'Stop Making Sense' is still burning down the house
Ranking
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- Previously unknown language found hidden in cultic ritual text of ancient tablets
- Police: Ghost guns and 3D printers for making them found at New York City day care
- Owner had pulled own child out of Bronx day care over fentanyl concerns: Sources
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- After Inter Miami loses US Open Cup, coach insists Messi will play again this season
- Travis King, the U.S. soldier who crossed South Korea's border into North Korea, is back in U.S.
- How long has it been since the Minnesota Twins won a playoff game?
Recommendation
The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
Travis King back in US months after crossing into North Korea
Blue Beetle tells story of Latino superhero and his family in first-of-its-kind live action film
Nearly a third of the US homeless population live in California. Here's why.
US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
Authors discuss AR-15’s history from LA garage to cultural lightning rod
Senior Baton Rouge officer on leave after son arrested in 'brave cave' case
Indiana state comptroller Tera Klutz will resign in November after nearly 7 years in state post