Current:Home > FinanceMenendez brothers’ family to push for their release as prosecutors review 1989 case -Capitatum
Menendez brothers’ family to push for their release as prosecutors review 1989 case
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-07 04:36:39
LOS ANGELES (AP) — The extended family of Erik and Lyle Menendez will advocate for the brothers’ release from prison during a news conference set for Wednesday in downtown Los Angeles as prosecutors review new evidence to determine whether they should be serving life sentences for killing their parents.
Billed as “a powerful show of unity” by more than a dozen family members — including the brothers’ aunt — who are traveling across the country to Los Angeles, the news conference will take place less than two weeks after LA County District Attorney George Gascón announced his office was looking at the brothers’ case again.
Erik Menendez, now 53, and his 56-year-old brother, Lyle Menendez, are currently incarcerated in state prison without the possibility of parole after being convicted of killing their parents in their Beverly Hills mansion more than 35 years ago.
Lyle Menendez, who was then 21, and Erik Menendez, then 18, admitted they fatally shot-gunned their entertainment executive father, Jose Menendez, and their mother, Kitty Menendez, in 1989 but said they feared their parents were about to kill them to prevent the disclosure of the father’s long-term sexual molestation of Erik.
The extended family’s attorney Bryan Freedman previously said they strongly support the brothers’ release. Comedian Rosie O’Donnell also plans to join the family on Wednesday.
“She wishes nothing more than for them to be released,” Freedman said earlier this month of Joan VanderMolen, Kitty Menendez’s sister and the brothers’ aunt.
Earlier this month, Gascón said there is no question the brothers committed the 1989 murders, but his office will be reviewing new evidence and will make a decision on whether a resentencing is warranted in the notorious case that captured national attention.
The brothers’ attorneys said the family believed from the beginning they should have been charged with manslaughter rather than murder. Manslaughter was not an option for the jury during the second trial that ultimately led to the brothers’ murder conviction, attorney Mark Geragos previously said.
The case has gained new traction in recent weeks after Netflix began streaming the true-crime drama “ Monsters: The Lyle and Erik Menendez Story. ”
The new evidence includes a letter written by Erik Menendez that his attorneys say corroborates the allegations that he was sexually abused by his father. A hearing was scheduled for Nov. 29.
Prosecutors at the time contended there was no evidence of any molestation. They said the sons were after their parents’ multimillion-dollar estate.
But the brothers have said they killed their parents out of self-defense after enduring a lifetime of physical, emotional and sexual abuse from them. Their attorneys argue that because of society’s changing views on sexual abuse, that the brothers may not have been convicted of first-degree murder and sentenced to life without parole today.
Jurors in 1996 rejected a death sentence in favor of life without parole.
veryGood! (8444)
Related
- Connie Chiume, South African 'Black Panther' actress, dies at 72
- Jimmy Carter set to lead presidents, first ladies in mourning and celebrating Rosalynn Carter
- Elevator drops 650 feet at a platinum mine in South Africa, killing 11 workers and injuring 75
- Cyber Monday is the biggest online shopping day of the year — thanks to deals and hype
- Olympic men's basketball bracket: Results of the 5x5 tournament
- Germany is having a budget crisis. With the economy struggling, it’s not the best time
- Illinois man wins $25K a year for life from lottery ticket after clerk's lucky mistake
- Sarah Jessica Parker's Amazon Holiday Picks Include an $8 Gua Sha Set, $24 Diffuser & More
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- With suspension over, struggling Warriors badly need Draymond Green to stay on the court
Ranking
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- Mark Cuban reportedly plans to leave ABC's 'Shark Tank' after more than a decade
- China warns Australia to act prudently in naval operations in the South China Sea
- 'The Voice' contestant Tom Nitti leaves Season 24 for 'personal reasons,' will not return
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- Your employer can help you save up for a rainy day. Not enough of them do.
- Nationwide curfew declared in Sierra Leone after attack on army barracks in capital city
- More allegations emerge about former Missouri police officer charged with assaulting arrestees
Recommendation
John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
New Google geothermal electricity project could be a milestone for clean energy
See Morgan Wade Make Her RHOBH Debut After Being Stalked by Kyle Richards
Tensions are bubbling up at thirsty Arizona alfalfa farms as foreign firms exploit unregulated water
$73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
How much should you tip? How about nothing? Tipping culture is out of control.
'I'm home': CM Punk addresses WWE universe on 'Raw' in first appearance in nearly 10 years
Matthew, Brady Tkachuk at their feisty best with grandmother in the stands