Current:Home > InvestViolent protests break out ahead of Bulgaria-Hungary soccer qualifier -Capitatum
Violent protests break out ahead of Bulgaria-Hungary soccer qualifier
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-07 00:53:59
SOFIA, Bulgaria (AP) — Thousands of Bulgarian football supporters on Thursday took to the streets of the capital, Sofia, in protest over the management of the national football union, a demonstration that eventually turned violent.
The qualifying match between Bulgaria and Hungary for next year’s European soccer championship fell victim to a bitter dispute between the management of the Bulgarian Football Union and soccer fans from across the Balkan country.
Minutes before the kickoff, fans began to throw makeshift bombs, stones and plastic bottles at the police. After trash cans were set on fire, police responded with water cannon. Media reported that several protesters were injured.
The last straw that infuriated the fans, whose anger had been simmering for a long time, came with the union’s decision to play Thursday’s match in front of empty stands at the national stadium in the capital.
Some 1,600 police in riot gear were dispatched to secure the area around the empty stadium in downtown Sofia.
The Bulgarian national team has failed to qualify for a major tournament for nearly two decades. After the latest two humiliating defeats by Albania and Lithuania in October, fans called for a nationwide protest, blaming the union’s managers for the poor results and calling for their resignations.
In previous weeks, soccer fans have been shouting “Resign!” in the 18th minute of every championship match, addressing the president of the Bulgarian Football Union Borislav Mihaylov and his aides, who have been at the helm for the past 18 years.
Fearing new riots against his leadership, last week Mihaylov asked UEFA, the governing body of European soccer, to order the game to be played behind closed doors due to exceptional circumstances.
“The Bulgarian Football Union has provided UEFA with necessary guarantees from the relevant local authorities and stadium management in Sofia to host the match at the Vasil Levski National Stadium without spectators,” said a UEFA statement.
Fans said the union’s move was “unprecedented”, as there is no other case in soccer history where a football union has voluntarily asked to host a football match without fans.
The decision fueled anger not only amid Bulgarian fans. The state-run news agency BTA reported that many Hungarians with tickets decided to travel to Bulgaria regardless of whether they would be allowed into the stadium. As they had already planned their trip, they intended to join the Bulgarian fans’ protest, according to BTA.
veryGood! (87)
Related
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- Imam critically wounded in Newark mosque shooting, police say
- WWII-era practice bomb washed up on California beach after intense high surf
- Bo Nix accepts invitation to 2024 Senior Bowl. When is game? How to watch it?
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
- China’s BYD is rivaling Tesla in size. Can it also match its global reach?
- Which EVs qualify for a $7,500 tax credit in 2024? See the updated list.
- Trump, potential VP pick and former actress swarm Iowa ahead of caucuses
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- As a missile hits a Kyiv apartment building, survivors lose a lifetime’s possessions in seconds
Ranking
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Why Fans Think Kendall Jenner & Bad Bunny Reunited After Breakup
- Those I bonds you bought when inflation soared? Here's why you may want to sell them.
- NFL’s Damar Hamlin Honors First Anniversary of Cardiac Arrest
- IOC's decision to separate speed climbing from other disciplines paying off
- The Real-Life Parent Trap: How 2 Daughters Got Their Divorced Parents Back Together
- 'Golden Bachelor' runner-up Leslie Fhima spent birthday in hospital for unexpected surgery
- The USS Gerald R. Ford aircraft carrier is returning home after extended deployment defending Israel
Recommendation
Blake Lively’s Inner Circle Shares Rare Insight on Her Life as a Mom to 4 Kids
Puerto Rico comptroller strikes down popular slogan used by governor’s office
Gypsy Rose Blanchard is free from prison. Now she's everywhere.
There's no place like the silver screen: The Wizard of Oz celebrates 85th anniversary with limited run in select U.S. theaters
Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
Starbucks' 2024 winter menu has Pistachio Latte, new snacks – and more ways to use your own cup
Amy Robach shares why she would 'never' go back to hosting daytime TV, talks divorce
Vizio will pay $3M in settlement over refresh rates. Do you qualify for a payout?