Current:Home > MyUvalde families sue gunmaker, Instagram, Activision over weapons marketing -Capitatum
Uvalde families sue gunmaker, Instagram, Activision over weapons marketing
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-06 07:08:19
Many of the family members whose children were killed in the Robb Elementary School mass shooting in Uvalde two years ago are suing Instagram, the maker of the video game "Call of Duty" and an AR-15 manufacturer, claiming the three played a role in enabling the mass shooter who killed 19 children and two adults in Uvalde in 2022.
The wrongful death suits were filed in Texas and California against Meta, Instagram's parent company; Activision, the video game publisher; and Daniel Defense, a weapons company that manufactured the assault rifle used by the mass shooter in Uvalde. The filings came on the second anniversary of the shooting.
A press release sent on Friday by the law offices of Koskoff, Koskoff & Bieder PC and Guerra LLP said the lawsuits show that, over the past 15 years, the three companies have partnered in a "scheme that preys upon insecure, adolescent boys."
Koskoff Koskoff & Bieder is the same law firm that reached a $73 million settlement with rifle manufacturer Remington in 2022 on behalf of families of children killed in the mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in 2012.
Meta, Microsoft and Daniel Defense did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
Salvador Ramos, the lone gunman in the Robb Elementary massacre, purchased the assault rifle he used in the shooting minutes after he turned 18, according to the release. Days later, he carried out the second worst mass shooting in the country's history, where hundreds of law enforcement officers waited more than an hour before entering the classroom.
The first lawsuit, filed in Los Angeles Superior Court, accuses Meta’s Instagram of giving gun manufacturers “an unsupervised channel to speak directly to minors, in their homes, at school, even in the middle of the night,” with only token oversight.
The complaint also alleges that Activision’s popular warfare game Call of Duty “creates a vividly realistic and addicting theater of violence in which teenage boys learn to kill with frightening skill and ease,” using real-life weapons as models for the game’s firearms.
Ramos played Call of Duty – which features, among other weapons, an assault-style rifle manufactured by Daniel Defense, according to the lawsuit - and visited Instagram obsessively, where Daniel Defense often advertised.
As a result, the complaint alleges, he became fixated on acquiring the same weapon and using it to commit the killings, even though he had never fired a gun in real life before.
The second lawsuit, filed in Uvalde County District Court, accuses Daniel Defense of deliberately aiming its ads at adolescent boys in an effort to secure lifelong customers.
“There is a direct line between the conduct of these companies and the Uvalde shooting,” Josh Koskoff, one of the families’ lawyers, said in a statement. “This three-headed monster knowingly exposed him to the weapon, conditioned him to see it as a tool to solve his problems and trained him to use it.”
Daniel Defense is already facing other lawsuits filed by families of some victims. In a 2022 statement, CEO Marty Daniel called such litigation “frivolous” and “politically motivated.”
Earlier this week, families of the victims announced a separate lawsuit against nearly 100 state police officers who participated in what the U.S. Justice Department has concluded was a botched emergency response. The families also reached a $2 million settlement with the city of Uvalde.
Several other suits against various public agencies remain pending.
Contributing: Reuters
veryGood! (2)
Related
- Illinois Gov. Pritzker calls for sheriff to resign after Sonya Massey shooting
- Saudi Arabia won’t recognize Israel without a path to a Palestinian state, top diplomat says
- Taylor Swift simply being at NFL playoff games has made the sport better. Deal with it.
- NFL schedule today: Everything to know about playoff games on Jan. 21
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- Taylor Swift’s NFL playoff tour takes her to Buffalo for Chiefs game against Bills
- Andrew Cuomo sues New York attorney general for documents in sexual misconduct investigation
- Alabama readies never-before-used execution method that some veterinarians won't even use for pets
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Paris Men’s Fashion Week draws to a close, matching subtle elegance with bursts of color
Ranking
- 51-year-old Andy Macdonald puts on Tony Hawk-approved Olympic skateboard showing
- Latest EPA assessment shows almost no improvement in river and stream nitrogen pollution
- Trump may testify in sex abuse defamation trial, but the court has limited what he can say
- Abortion opponents at March for Life appreciate Donald Trump, but seek a sharper stance on the issue
- 3 years after the NFL added a 17th game, the push for an 18th gets stronger
- Arkansas Gov. Sarah Huckabee Sanders says I absolutely love my job when asked about being Trump's VP
- Jared Goff throws 2 TD passes, Lions advance to NFC title game with 31-23 win over Buccaneers
- Nick Dunlap becomes 1st amateur winner on PGA Tour since 1991 with victory at The American Express
Recommendation
New Orleans mayor’s former bodyguard making first court appearance after July indictment
5 centenarians at Ohio nursing home celebrate 500+ years at epic birthday party
Storm Isha batters UK and Ireland and leaves tens of thousands without power
Former players explain greatness Tara VanDerveer, college basketball's winningest coach
Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
Justin Timberlake debuts new song 'Selfish' at free hometown concert, teases 2024 album
Iranian soldier kills 5 comrades in southeastern city where IS attack killed dozens, state TV says
Travis Kelce Proves He's the King of Taylor Swift's Heart During Chiefs Playoffs Game