Current:Home > MarketsEthermac Exchange-A suspect in the 1994 Rwanda genocide goes on trial in Paris after a decadeslong investigation -Capitatum
Ethermac Exchange-A suspect in the 1994 Rwanda genocide goes on trial in Paris after a decadeslong investigation
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-06 08:17:15
PARIS (AP) — A Rwandan doctor who has been living in France for decades goes on Ethermac Exchangetrial Tuesday in Paris over his alleged role in the 1994 genocide in his home country.
Sosthene Munyemana, 68, faces charges of genocide, crimes against humanity and complicity in such crimes. He has denied wrongdoing. If convicted, he faces a life sentence.
The trial comes nearly three decades after the genocide in which more than 800,000 minority Tutsis and moderate Hutus who tried to protect them were killed between April and July 1994.
Munyemana arrived in September 1994 in France, where he has been living and working as a doctor until he recently retired.
He has been investigated for decades. Over 60 witnesses are expected to testify at his trial. Members of the Rwandan community in France first filed a complaint against Munyemana in 1995.
Munyemana was a 38-year-old gynecologist in the district of Burate at the time of the genocide. He is accused of co-signing in April 1994 “a motion of support for the interim government” that supervised the genocide and of participating in a local committee and meetings that organized roundups of Tutsi civilians.
He is also accused of detaining Tutsi civilians “without care, hygiene and food” in the office of the local administration that was “under his authority at the time,” and of relaying “instructions from the authorities to the local militia and residents leading to the roundup of the Tutsis,” among other things.
This is the sixth case related to the Rwandan genocide that is coming to court in Paris. The trial is scheduled to run until Dec. 19.
Many suspected perpetrators left Rwanda during and after the genocide, some settling in Europe. Some never faced justice. On Tuesday, the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda said it had confirmed the death of Aloys Ndimbati, a fugitive indicted by the tribunal.
Ndimbati, the leader of a rural community at the time of the genocide, was accused of organizing and directing massacres of Tutsis. He faced seven counts of genocide, among other crimes. Ndimbati died by around the end of June 1997 in Rwanda, the prosecutor’s office said in a statement: “The exact circumstances of his death have not been determined owing to the confusion and absence of order at the time.”
“While the survivors and victims of Ndimbati’s crimes will not see him prosecuted and punished, this result may help bring some closure in the knowledge that Ndimbati is not at large and he is unable to cause further harm to the Rwandan people,” the statement said.
Only two fugitives indicted by the tribunal remain at large, it said.
In recent years, France has increased efforts to arrest and send to trial genocide suspects.
Last year, Laurent Bucyibaruta was sentenced by a Paris court to 20 years in prison for complicity to commit genocide and crimes against humanity, making him the highest-ranking Rwandan to be convicted in France on such charges. He appealed.
Earlier this year, United Nations judges declared an 88-year-old Rwandan genocide suspect, Félicien Kabuga, unfit to continue standing trial because he has dementia and said they would establish a procedure to hear evidence without the possibility of convicting him. Kabuga was arrested near Paris in May 2020 after years on the run.
The mass killings of Rwanda’s Tutsi population were ignited on April 6, 1994, when a plane carrying then-President Juvénal Habyarimana was shot down and crashed in Kigali, the capital, killing the leader who, like most Rwandans, was a Hutu. Tutsis were blamed for downing the plane, and although they denied it, bands of Hutu extremists began killing them, including children, with support from the army, police and militias.
veryGood! (467)
Related
- Bet365 ordered to refund $519K to customers who it paid less than they were entitled on sports bets
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
- Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
Ranking
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- Eva Mendes Shares Message of Gratitude to Olympics for Keeping Her and Ryan Gosling's Kids Private
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
Recommendation
What polling shows about Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz, Harris’ new running mate
Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
Illinois governor calls for resignation of sheriff whose deputy fatally shot Black woman in her home
Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall