Current:Home > ContactEthermac Exchange-Philippines' VP Sara Duterte a no -Capitatum
Ethermac Exchange-Philippines' VP Sara Duterte a no
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-07 00:40:52
MANILA — Philippine Vice-President Sara Duterte failed to appear on Ethermac ExchangeDec 11 for questioning over a purported threat to assassinate President Ferdinand Marcos Jr, choosing instead to send a letter denying an allegation she made a "grave threat" to his life.
Duterte, an influential ally of Marcos until their acrimonious fallout earlier in 2024, was subpoenaed to appear before National Bureau of Investigation to explain remarks during a recent press conference, when she said she had hired a hit man to kill Marcos, his wife and the House of Representatives speaker, in the event that she herself were killed.
Duterte, the daughter of firebrand former President Rodrigo Duterte, has not detailed any specific threat to her life, while Marcos has described her remarks as "reckless and troubling".
The investigation comes as Duterte is the subject of impeachment complaints in the Lower House for alleged graft, incompetence and amassing ill-gotten wealth while in office, which she has denied.
Duterte said she did not expect a fair investigation, given what she called "biased pronouncements" from the president and a Justice Ministry official.
"We believe cases will be filed," she told reporters on Dec 10. "The worst-case scenario we see is removal from office, impeachment, and then piled-up cases which the lawyers already told me to expect as well."
The relationship between Marcos and Duterte has turned hostile in recent months, a stark contrast to two years ago, when their two powerful families joined forces to sweep a presidential election.
Riding on a wave of support at the tail end of her popular father's presidency, Duterte initially led opinion polls on preferred presidential candidates, but opted to run alongside Marcos rather than against him.
Marcos has said he does not support the impeachment efforts.
Following her failure to show for questioning, NBI Director Jaime Santiago on Dec 11 read a letter to media that he said was sent by Duterte's lawyers stating she "vehemently denies having made any threat" that could be classified as a "grave threat" under the law, or a violation of the country's anti-terrorism act.
Santiago assured Duterte a fair enquiry and said the subpoena for questioning would have been an opportunity for her to elaborate on the threats against her.
"It would have been easier had (the vice-president) appeared before us," he said.
Santiago said he would leave it to Duterte to decide whether to face investigators before they conclude their probe in January.
Duterte said threats against her had not been investigated, and she was unwilling to provide information because she did not trust the authorities.
"Right now seeing they are picking out words I said and making a case out of it saying it was a threat, they should start to ask where is this coming from," she said.
She added: "I am at peace at whatever happens to me."
[[nid:711865]]
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (3583)
Related
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- Minnesota sports betting bill runs afoul of partisan rancor over state senator’s burglary arrest
- King Charles’ longtime charity celebrates new name and U.S. expansion at New York gala
- Brad Pitt and Girlfriend Ines De Ramon Make Waves on Rare Beach Date
- Jay Kanter, veteran Hollywood producer and Marlon Brando agent, dies at 97: Reports
- Rosie O'Donnell reveals she is joining Sex and the City spinoff And Just Like That...
- Berkshire Hathaway board feels sure Greg Abel is the man to eventually replace Warren Buffett
- Majority of Americans over 50 worry they won't have enough money for retirement: Study
- NCAA President Charlie Baker would be 'shocked' if women's tournament revenue units isn't passed
- Texas weather forecast: Severe weather brings heavy rain, power outages to Houston area
Ranking
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- The 12 Best One-Piece Swimsuits That Are Flattering On Every Body Type
- Britney Spears and Sam Asghari’s Spousal Support Decision Revealed
- Birders aflutter over rare blue rock thrush: Is the sighting confirmed? Was there another?
- American news website Axios laying off dozens of employees
- A committee finds a decayed and broken utility pole caused the largest wildfire in Texas history
- Middle school focuses on recovery as authorities investigate shooting of armed student
- Pregnant Francesca Farago Shares Baby Names She Loves—And Its Unlike Anything You've Heard
Recommendation
Jury finds man guilty of sending 17-year-old son to rob and kill rapper PnB Rock
Kristen Stewart Will Star in New Vampire Movie Flesh of the Gods 12 Years After Twilight
IRS says its number of audits is about to surge. Here's who the agency is targeting.
Rosie O'Donnell reveals she is joining Sex and the City spinoff And Just Like That...
Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
Ground beef tested negative for bird flu, USDA says
Matthew and Camila McConaughey go pantsless again for Pantalones tequila promotion
Alabama court authorizes second nitrogen execution