Current:Home > MarketsTrump is expected to tie Harris to chaotic Afghanistan War withdrawal in speech to National Guard -Capitatum
Trump is expected to tie Harris to chaotic Afghanistan War withdrawal in speech to National Guard
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-06 05:43:52
In a speech Monday to National Guard soldiers in Michigan, former President Donald Trump is expected to promote his foreign policy record and tie Vice President Kamala Harris to one of the Biden administration’s lowest points: the chaotic withdrawal from Afghanistan after 20 years of war.
The speech coincides with the third anniversary of the Aug. 26, 2021, suicide bombing at Hamid Karzai International Airport, which killed 13 U.S. service members and more than 100 Afghans. The Islamic State group claimed responsibility for the attack.
Trump, the Republican presidential nominee, is set to appear at 2 p.m. Eastern time at the National Guard Association of the United States’ 146th General Conference & Exhibition in Detroit.
Since Biden ended his reelection bid, Trump has been zeroing in on Harris, now the Democratic presidential nominee, and her roles in foreign policy decisions. He specifically highlights the vice president’s statements that she was the last person in the room before Biden made the decision on Afghanistan.
“She bragged that she would be the last person in the room, and she was. She was the last person in the room with Biden when the two of them decided to pull the troops out of Afghanistan,” he said last week in a North Carolina rally. “She had the final vote. She had the final say, and she was all for it.”
The relatives of some of the 13 American servicemembers who were killed appeared on stage at the Republican National Convention last month, saying Biden had never publicly named their loved ones. The display was an implicit response to allegations that Trump doesn’t respect veterans and had previously referred to slain World War II soldiers as suckers and losers — accusations denied by Trump.
Under Trump, the United States signed a peace agreement with the Taliban that was aimed at ending America’s longest war and bringing U.S. troops home. Biden later pointed to that agreement as he sought to deflect blame for the Taliban overrunning Afghanistan, saying it bound him to withdraw troops and set the stage for the chaos that engulfed the country.
A Biden administration review of the withdrawal acknowledged that the evacuation of Americans and allies from Afghanistan should have started sooner, but attributed the delays to the Afghan government and military, and to U.S. military and intelligence community assessments.
The top two U.S. generals who oversaw the evacuation said the administration inadequately planned for the withdrawal. The nation’s top-ranking military officer at the time, then-Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Mark Milley, told lawmakers earlier this year he had urged Biden to keep a residual force of 2,500 forces to give backup. Instead, Biden decided to keep a much smaller force of 650 that would be limited to securing the U.S. embassy.
veryGood! (9431)
Related
- The GOP and Kansas’ Democratic governor ousted targeted lawmakers in the state’s primary
- Workers at Canadian National Railway Co. will start returning to work Friday, union says
- Coldplay perform Taylor Swift song in Vienna after thwarted terrorist plot
- Pharmacist blamed for deaths in US meningitis outbreak expected to plead no contest in Michigan case
- British golfer Charley Hull blames injury, not lack of cigarettes, for poor Olympic start
- Sudden fame for Tim Walz’s son focuses attention on challenges of people with learning disabilities
- Horoscopes Today, August 21, 2024
- Average rate on a 30-year mortgage eases to 6.46%, the lowest level in 15 months
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- 'SNL' star Punkie Johnson reveals why she left the show
Ranking
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- US Open storylines: Carlos Alcaraz, Coco Gauff, Olympics letdown, doping controversy
- How Teen Mom's Cory Wharton and Cheyenne Floyd Reacted When Daughter Ryder, 7, Was Called the N-Word
- A Japanese woman who loves bananas is now the world’s oldest person
- What polling shows about Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz, Harris’ new running mate
- Tyler Cameron Debuts Shocking Hair Transformation—And Fans Are Not Accepting This Change
- Powdr to sell Vermont’s Killington, the largest mountain resort in New England
- Workers at Canadian National Railway Co. will start returning to work Friday, union says
Recommendation
Carolinas bracing for second landfall from Tropical Storm Debby: Live updates
Is Joey Votto a Hall of Famer? The case for, and against, retiring Reds star
These men went back to prison to make a movie. But this time, 'I can walk out whenever.'
Headlined by speech from Jerome Powell, Fed's Jackson Hole symposium set to begin
Oklahoma parole board recommends governor spare the life of man on death row
Georgia man who accused NBA star Dwight Howard of sexual assault drops suit
Honoring Malcolm X: supporters see $20M as ‘down payment’ on struggle to celebrate Omaha native
Steph Curry says Kamala Harris can bring unity back to country as president