Current:Home > MyRussia and China veto U.S. resolution calling for cease-fire in Gaza as Blinken visits Israel -Capitatum
Russia and China veto U.S. resolution calling for cease-fire in Gaza as Blinken visits Israel
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 07:12:27
Russia and China vetoed a U.S.-sponsored resolution at the United Nations Security Council on Friday which would have declared "the imperative of an immediate and sustained cease-fire" in the Israel-Hamas war. Russia's ambassador to the U.N., Vassily Nebenzia, said the draft language did not go far enough, and that the council must "demand" a cease-fire.
The vote came as Secretary of State Antony Blinken arrived in Tel Aviv on Friday on the final stop in his sixth urgent trip to the region since the start of the war in October.
Blinken said the U.S. resolution "got very strong support but then was cynically vetoed by Russia and China."
"I think we were trying to show the international community a sense of urgency about getting a cease-fire tied to the release of hostages — something that everyone, including the countries that vetoed the resolution, should have been able to get behind," he said. "The resolution, of course, also condemned Hamas. It's unimaginable why countries wouldn't be able to do that."
Blinken said he was meeting with Israeli officials "to have candid conversations, as friends do," and to urge alternatives to Israel's planned ground assault into the southern Gaza city of Rafah during talks with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and the country's war cabinet.
"A major ground operation there would mean more civilian deaths, it would worsen the humanitarian crisis," Blinken told journalists in Cairo on Thursday. "There is a better way to deal with the threat, the ongoing threat posed by Hamas."
In a statement overnight, European Union leaders called "for an immediate humanitarian pause leading to a sustainable ceasefire, the unconditional release of all hostages and the provision of humanitarian assistance."
So little food has been allowed into Gaza that up to 60% of children under 5 are now malnourished, compared with fewer than 1% before the war began, World Health Organization Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said Thursday.
The Hamas-controlled Health Ministry in Gaza raised the territory's death toll Thursday to nearly 32,000 Palestinians. The ministry doesn't distinguish between civilians and combatants in its counts but says women and children make up two-thirds of the dead.
Palestinian militants killed some 1,200 people in the surprise Oct. 7 attack out of Gaza that triggered the war, and abducted another 250 people. Hamas is still believed to be holding some 100 people hostage, as well as the remains of 30 others.
- In:
- Antony Blinken
- Hamas
- Israel
- United Nations
veryGood! (67)
Related
- Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear ready to campaign for Harris-Walz after losing out for spot on the ticket
- Kansas lawmakers want a report on last year’s police raid of a newspaper
- TCU women's basketball adds four players, returns to court after injuries led to forfeits
- YFN Lucci pleads guilty to gang-related charge, prosecution drops 12 counts in plea deal
- 'Stranger Things' prequel 'The First Shadow' is headed to Broadway
- Guy Fieri announces Flavortown Fest lineup: Kane Brown, Greta Van Fleet will headline
- Columbia students at pro-Palestine protest allegedly attacked with 'skunk' chemical
- Nitrogen hypoxia: Why Alabama's execution of Kenneth Smith stirs ethical controversy.
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- Narcissists wreak havoc on their parents' lives. But cutting them off can feel impossible.
Ranking
- Bet365 ordered to refund $519K to customers who it paid less than they were entitled on sports bets
- Milwaukee Bucks fire first-year head coach Adrian Griffin after 43 games
- Oscar 2024: What to know about 'Barbie,' Cillian Murphy, Lily Gladstone nominations
- Nitrogen hypoxia: Why Alabama's execution of Kenneth Smith stirs ethical controversy.
- NCAA hits former Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh with suspension, show-cause for recruiting violations
- Former 'CBS Sunday Morning' host Charles Osgood dies at 91 following battle with dementia
- Sheryl Lee Ralph shares Robert De Niro revelation in Oprah interview: Exclusive clip
- Oscar 2024: What to know about 'Barbie,' Cillian Murphy, Lily Gladstone nominations
Recommendation
Michigan lawmaker who was arrested in June loses reelection bid in Republican primary
Love Is Blind Contestant Spots This Red Flag in Season 6 Trailer
Defendant, 19, faces trial after waiving hearing in slaying of Temple University police officer
Lawsuit says Minnesota jail workers ignored pleas of man before he died of perforated bowel
The Daily Money: Disney+ wants your dollars
Led by Chiefs-Bills thriller, NFL divisional round averages record 40 million viewers
Flooding makes fourth wettest day in San Diego: Photos
Billy Joel returns to the recording studio with first new song in nearly 20 years