Current:Home > FinanceAmerican man admits to attacking 2 US tourists and killing one of them near a famous German castle -Capitatum
American man admits to attacking 2 US tourists and killing one of them near a famous German castle
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 19:39:29
BERLIN (AP) — An American man on Monday admitted to charges of murder and rape after he allegedly pushed two U.S. women down a ravine, fatally injuring one of them near Germany’s Neuschwanstein castle last year.
The 31-year-old defendant admitted to the charges during the start of his trial, the German news agency dpa reported. Defendants in the German legal system do not formally enter pleas to charges.
“The defendant has committed an unfathomable crime,” defense lawyer Philip Mueller said in a statement. The defendant, whose name hasn’t been released in line with German privacy rules, confirmed that his lawyer’s statement was correct but did not answer any questions.
The defendant is charged with murder, rape with fatal consequences, attempted murder and possession of child pornography. Murder charges carry a maximum sentence of life in prison in Germany.
The attack happened on June 14 last year near the Marienbruecke, a bridge over a gorge close to the castle that offers a view of Neuschwanstein, one of Germany’s most famous tourist attractions.
Prosecutors say the defendant met by chance the two female tourists, aged 21 and 22, on a hiking path and lured them off the trail. They said in a statement that he apparently first forced the younger woman to the ground and tried to undress her.
When the elder woman tried to help her, a scuffle ensued and the suspect allegedly pushed her down a steep slope. She fell about 50 meters (165 feet) and sustained a head injury, bruises and grazes but survived.
The suspect then allegedly strangled the younger woman until she was unconscious and raped her, prosecutors said, before pushing her down the slope as well. She died.
Prosecutors said they secured a laptop and cellphones from the suspect containing child sexual abuse material.
Authorities say the women didn’t know the man before they met near Neuschwanstein. The suspect was arrested shortly after the attack.
A verdict is expected to be announced in mid-March at the earliest.
veryGood! (1737)
Related
- PHOTO COLLECTION: AP Top Photos of the Day Wednesday August 7, 2024
- 8 hospitalized after JetBlue flight experiences 'sudden severe turbulence'
- Biden tells Pacific islands leaders he hears their warnings about climate change and will act
- London’s top cop seeks protections for police as armed officers protest murder charge for colleague
- Eva Mendes Shares Message of Gratitude to Olympics for Keeping Her and Ryan Gosling's Kids Private
- Tornado-damaged Pfizer plant in North Carolina restarts production
- Struggling Chargers cornerback J.C. Jackson has arrest warrant issued in Massachusetts
- Fans react to Taylor Swift cheering on NFL player Travis Kelce: 'Not something I had on my 2023 bingo card'
- Connie Chiume, South African 'Black Panther' actress, dies at 72
- Indiana teen working for tree-trimming service killed when log rolls out of trailer, strikes him
Ranking
- American news website Axios laying off dozens of employees
- Climate change is making climbing in the Himalayas more challenging, experts say
- How El Nino will affect the US this winter
- China’s top diplomat calls on US to host an APEC summit that is cooperative, not confrontational
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- 'Tiger King' Joe Exotic calls out Florida State QB Jordan Travis for selling merch
- Flesh-eating bacteria infections are on the rise in the U.S. − here's how one expert says you can protect yourself
- How El Nino will affect the US this winter
Recommendation
Audit: California risked millions in homelessness funds due to poor anti-fraud protections
Pennsylvania state trooper charged with using job to apprehend, forcibly commit ex-girlfriend
Costco partners with Sesame to offer members $29 virtual health visits
China goes on charm offensive at Asian Games, but doesn’t back down from regional confrontations
Travis Hunter, the 2
Sam Howell's rough outing vs. Bills leaves hard question: Do Commanders have a QB problem?
The best movies we saw at New York Film Festival, ranked (including 'All of Us Strangers')
Former Massachusetts transit worker pleads guilty to 13 charges, including larceny, bribery, fraud