Current:Home > InvestPalestinian family recounts horror of Israel's hostage rescue raid that left a grandfather in mourning -Capitatum
Palestinian family recounts horror of Israel's hostage rescue raid that left a grandfather in mourning
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-06 10:20:03
Tel Aviv — Since this weekend, when Israeli special forces carried out the mission to rescue four hostages — Andrey Kozlov, Shlomi Ziv, Almog Meir, and Noa Argamani — dramatic video of the raid shared by the Israeli military has been seen around the world. What's been less visible, however, is the aftermath of that operation, and the Palestinian civilians who survived it.
CBS News' team in Gaza met eyewitness Abedelraof Meqdad, 60, who walked us through his bullet-ridden home, just across the street from where one of the Israeli military vehicles broke down under heavy Hamas gunfire.
The commandos burst into his family apartment, he says, and blindfolded and bound the hands of the men before interrogating them.
- Where things stand on an Israel-Hamas cease-fire deal
"There were sound grenades. Women and children were screaming. I told them, 'Why are you shouting? You are scaring the children.' He said, 'shut up or I will shoot you and them.'"
Meqdad told CBS News the Israeli forces then dragged him to the living room, demanding to know if there were fighters or weapons in his home.
"I told them there are no fighters here and no weapons, I am just a merchant," he said.
When it was all over, two of Meqdad's grandsons had been shot.
CBS News found one of them, 16-year-old Moamen Mattar, as doctors reconstructed his mangled arm in a hospital.
He told us his brother didn't survive.
"He was shot right next to me, in the stomach and the leg," Mattar said. "He was 12."
The Hamas-run Gaza Health Ministry says 274 people were killed in the rescue operation, and many hundreds more wounded. Israel disputes that number and says casualties are the fault of Hamas, for surrounding the hostages with civilians.
James Elder, the spokesperson for the U.N.'s children's charity UNICEF, is in Gaza this week and he told CBS News he saw the grisly scenes after the raid at the hospital himself.
"Walking in this hospital, absolutely heaving with people, little 3-year-olds, 7-year-olds with these grotesque wounds of war — head injuries and the burns," he said. "It's the smell of burning flesh — it's very hard to get out of one's head."
According to the most recently reported data, about 47% of Gaza's overall population is under 18, accounting for the high proportion of child deaths reported in this conflict.
The prospect of a cease-fire in the war remains in limbo, meanwhile. A frustrated Secretary of State Antony Blinken said Wednesday that Hamas had "waited two weeks and proposed changes" to the current U.S.-backed proposal on the table — which he said Israel had also accepted. "As a result, the war Hamas started will go on."
- In:
- War
- Hostage Situation
- Hamas
- Israel
- Palestinians
- Gaza Strip
Chris Livesay is a CBS News foreign correspondent based in Rome.
TwitterveryGood! (325)
Related
- Police remove gator from pool in North Carolina town: Watch video of 'arrest'
- Venice Biennale titled ‘Foreigners Everywhere’ platforms LGBTQ+, outsider and Indigenous artists
- Alabama lawmakers advance expansion of ‘Don’t Say Gay’ and ban Pride flags at schools
- Kellie Pickler Returns to Stage for First Performance Since Husband Kyle Jacobs' Death
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- Who do Luke Bryan, Ryan Seacrest think should replace Katy Perry on 'American Idol'?
- Shelter-in-place meant for a single Minnesota block sent through county that includes Minneapolis
- WWE Draft 2024: When, where, what to know for 'Raw' and 'SmackDown' roster shakeups
- British golfer Charley Hull blames injury, not lack of cigarettes, for poor Olympic start
- Former MIT researcher who killed Yale graduate student sentenced to 35 years in prison
Ranking
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- NASA hears from Voyager 1, the most distant spacecraft from Earth, after months of quiet
- Jason Kelce scorches Messi, MLS: 'Like Michael Jordan on a golf course.' Is he right?
- Save 30% on Peter Thomas Roth, 40% on Our Place Cookware, 50% on Reebok & More Deals
- Jay Kanter, veteran Hollywood producer and Marlon Brando agent, dies at 97: Reports
- Trump to meet with senior Japanese official after court session Tuesday in hush money trial
- 'Run, don't walk': Internet devours Chick-fil-A's banana pudding. How to try it.
- Biden condemns antisemitic protests and those who don't understand what's going on with the Palestinians
Recommendation
51-year-old Andy Macdonald puts on Tony Hawk-approved Olympic skateboard showing
Kim Kardashian Reveals Her Polarizing Nipple Bra Was Molded After Her Own Breasts
Baby saved from dying mother's womb after Israeli airstrike on Gaza city of Rafah named in her honor
Caleb Williams was 'so angry' backing up Spencer Rattler' at Oklahoma: 'I thought I beat him out'
Louisiana high court temporarily removes Judge Eboni Johnson Rose from Baton Rouge bench amid probe
PEN America calls off awards ceremony after nominees drop out over its response to Israel-Hamas war
WWE Draft 2024: When, where, what to know for 'Raw' and 'SmackDown' roster shakeups
Jana Kramer Considering Another Baby With Fiancé Allan Russell 5 Months After Giving Birth