Current:Home > reviewsTrial opens in Serbia for parents of a teenager who fatally shot 10 people at a school last year -Capitatum
Trial opens in Serbia for parents of a teenager who fatally shot 10 people at a school last year
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 07:08:04
BELGRADE, Serbia (AP) — A trial started Monday in Serbia for the parents of a teenager who is accused of killing 10 people and injuring six in a mass shooting at his school last May that left the Balkan nation in shock.
The suspected shooter, 13-year-old Kosta Kecmanovic, has been held in a mental institution since the attack and cannot be held criminally liable under Serbian law because of his age. His father and mother were charged with a “serious act against general safety” for failing to safeguard the weapon and ammunition used in the shooting.
The High Court in the capital, Belgrade, decided to keep the entire proceedings closed to the public despite calls by the defense lawyers that they be open. The couple, reportedly embraced in the courtroom and wept together, according to local media reports.
The shooting at a school in Belgrade last May 4, which left nine schoolmates and a security guard dead, was followed by another mass slaying a day later in central Serbia that killed eight people and wounded 14. The two attacks triggered months of protests against Serbia’s populist President Aleksandar Vucic for allegedly creating a culture of violence in a country that went through a series of bloody wars in the 1990s.
Kecmanovic’s father faces additional charges, including an accusation of training the boy how to shoot without properly guarding the weapons at their home. The manager of a shooting range and an instructor also have been charged.
Serbia has one of the highest gun ownership rates in the world. The country is full of weapons left over from the conflicts of the 1990s.
Chief prosecutor Nenad Stefanovic told state RTS broadcaster that he expects “a free and fair trial.”
The defense lawyers said Monday they are against keeping the trial closed to the public.
“Today the court made a decision to exclude the public in the entire course of this procedure, stating that this is done to protect the interests of minors and some private interests of the participants in the procedure,” lawyer Irina Borovic said. “Our position is that the decision of the court was absolutely hasty.”
veryGood! (1)
Related
- US Open player compensation rises to a record $65 million, with singles champs getting $3.6 million
- Dogs fatally attack a man behind a building in New York
- Youngest NFL coaches 2024: Mike Macdonald replaces Sean McVay atop list
- Sabrina Ionescu brought back her floater. It’s taken the Liberty to the WNBA Finals
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Dodgers vs. Padres live score updates: San Diego can end NLDS, Game 4 time, channel
- Polluted waste from Florida’s fertilizer industry is in the path of Milton’s fury
- McDonald's Chicken Big Mac debuts this week: Here's what's on it and when you can get one
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Brown rejects calls to divest from companies in connection with pro-Palestinian protests on campus
Ranking
- Jury finds man guilty of sending 17-year-old son to rob and kill rapper PnB Rock
- Florida races to clean up after Helene before Hurricane Milton turns debris deadly
- 16-year-old bicyclist struck, driven 4 miles while trapped on car's roof: Police
- Minnesota Twins to be put up for sale by Pohlad family, whose owned the franchise since 1984
- Beware of giant spiders: Thousands of tarantulas to emerge in 3 states for mating season
- Mountain Dew VooDew 2024: What is the soft drink's Halloween mystery flavor?
- JoJo Siwa Details Surprising Girlfriend Dakayla Wilson With $30,000 Birthday Trip
- Close call at Nashville airport came after planes were directed to same runway, probe shows
Recommendation
Olympic men's basketball bracket: Results of the 5x5 tournament
Peter Dodge's final flight: Hurricane scientist gets burial at sea into Milton's eye
'Super/Man' Christopher Reeve's kids on his tragic accident's 'silver lining'
Whether to publicly say Trump’s name becomes issue in Connecticut congressional debate
Meet 11-year-old skateboarder Zheng Haohao, the youngest Olympian competing in Paris
Don’t Miss These Hidden Gems From Amazon Prime Big Deal Days – Fashion, Beauty & More, up to 80% Off
Hurricane Milton has caused thousands of flight cancellations. What to do if one of them was yours
When will Nick Chubb return? Latest injury updates on Browns RB