Current:Home > ScamsCalifornia school district agrees to pay $27 million to settle suit over death of 13-year-old assaulted by fellow students -Capitatum
California school district agrees to pay $27 million to settle suit over death of 13-year-old assaulted by fellow students
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-06 05:53:12
A Southern California school district has agreed to pay $27 million to settle a lawsuit by the family of an eighth grade boy who died after being assaulted by two other students at a middle school four years ago.
The settlement with the Moreno Valley Unified School District was announced Wednesday by lawyers for relatives of 13-year-old Diego Stolz, who was sucker-punched at Landmark Middle School in September 2019.
One of the teens struck the teenager in the head from behind and he fell, hitting his head against a pillar. The teens then continued punching Stolz, who died nine days later from a brain injury. The attack was recorded on video.
Dave Ring, an attorney for the Stolz family, said the family told the school that their nephew had been bullied and punched on several occasions, CBS Los Angeles reported. The administration promised the family the bullies would be suspended from the school if nothing happened, the station reported.
Moreno Valley Unified pays family $27 million for the death of Diego Stolz https://t.co/BpffD8U0M4
— KCAL News (@kcalnews) September 14, 2023
"The Friday before Diego was killed, Diego and his adult sister went and met with the assistant principal," said Ring. "They never did anything. They just put it at the bottom of their stack and said we'll deal with it later."
Ring said the boy's death would have been preventable if there was an anti-bullying policy in place at the school about 65 miles east of Los Angeles.
"Schools need to realize that bullying can never be tolerated and that any complaints of bullying and assault must be taken seriously," Ring said in a news release.
School officials will not be commenting on the settlement, district spokesperson Anahi Velasco said in an email Wednesday. The district said previously that it changed its bullying reporting system and its training for employees. Also the school's principal and vice principal were replaced.
The family also inspired a new piece of legislation authored by Eloise Reyes Gomez, which allows legal guardians to bring civil action in wrongful death cases, CBS Los Angeles reported.
The assailants, who were 14 at the time of the attack, entered the equivalent of guilty pleas in juvenile court to involuntary manslaughter and assault with force likely to cause great bodily injury.
The teens spent 47 days in juvenile custody. A judge declined to sentence them to more jail time, but ordered that they undergo anger management therapy.
- In:
- Lawsuit
- California
- Bullying
veryGood! (3)
Related
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- Save 62% on the Internet-Famous COSRX Snail Mucin Essence: Shop Now Before it Sells Out
- Hawaiian residents evacuated as wind-swept wildfire in Kaumakani quickly spreads
- 2nd fraternity booted from the University of Virginia after hazing investigation
- Audit: California risked millions in homelessness funds due to poor anti-fraud protections
- Why Jenn Tran’s Bachelorette Contestant Devin Strader Was Called a “F--king Snake”
- Candace Cameron Bure's Daughter Natasha Kisses Good Luck Charlie's Bradley Steven Perry
- 'NCIS: Tony & Ziva' reveals daughter Tali as production begins in Hungary
- Carolinas bracing for second landfall from Tropical Storm Debby: Live updates
- Miranda Lambert Stops Concert Again to Call Out Fans Causing Drama
Ranking
- Tropical rains flood homes in an inland Georgia neighborhood for the second time since 2016
- Vermont governor urges residents to report flood damage to the state for FEMA determination
- Barstool owner rescued by Coast Guard after losing control of boat off Nantucket
- Horoscopes Today, July 15, 2024
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- U.K.'s King Charles III to visit Australia and Samoa on first royal tour abroad since cancer diagnosis
- Save 25% on Ashley Graham's Favorite Self-Tanning Mist During Amazon Prime Day 2024
- BMW, Chrysler, Honda among 437K vehicles recalled: Check car recalls here
Recommendation
A New York Appellate Court Rejects a Broad Application of the State’s Green Amendment
AT&T says nearly all of its cell customers' call and text records were exposed in massive breach
Texas man who's sought DNA testing to prove his innocence slated for execution in 1998 stabbing death of woman, 85
That time ‘Twister’ star Bill Paxton picked me up at the airport in a truck
Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
New search launched for body of woman kidnapped, killed 54 years ago after being mistaken for Rupert Murdoch's wife
Hybrid work still has some kinks to work out | The Excerpt
Tornado hits Des Moines, weather service confirms. No injuries reported