Current:Home > MarketsMore Ukrainian children from Ukraine’s Russia-held regions arrive in Belarus despite global outrage -Capitatum
More Ukrainian children from Ukraine’s Russia-held regions arrive in Belarus despite global outrage
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-06 22:08:08
TALLINN, Estonia (AP) — Belarus’ authoritarian president on Thursday attended a government-organized meeting with children brought from Russia-controlled areas of Ukraine, openly defying an international outrage over his country’s involvement in Moscow’s deportation of Ukrainian children.
Speaking at the event marking the arrival of a new group of Ukrainian children ahead of the New Year holiday, President Alexander Lukashenko vowed to “embrace these children, bring them to our home, keep them warm and make their childhood happier.”
Belarusian officials did not say how many Ukrainian children were brought into the country.
A recent study by Yale University has found that more than 2,400 Ukrainian children aged 6-17 have been brought to Belarus from four Ukrainian regions that have been partially occupied by Russian forces. The Belarusian opposition has urged the International Criminal Court to hold Lukashenko and his officials accountable for their involvement in the illegal transfer of Ukrainian children.
Pavel Latushka, a former Belarusian culture minister turned opposition activist who has presented the ICC with evidence of Lukashenko’s alleged involvement in the unlawful deportation of the children, said the arrival of a new group from Russia-occupied territories “underlines the need for the ICC to investigate those crimes.”
“Lukashenko, his family members and associates together with the Kremlin have organized a system of transfer of Ukrainian children, including orphans, from the occupied territories to Belarus, and this channel is still working,” Latushka told The Associated Press.
In March, the ICC issued arrest warrants for both Russian President Vladimir Putin and his children’s rights commissioner, Maria Lvova-Belova, accusing them of the war crimes of unlawful deportation of children and unlawful transfer of children from occupied areas of Ukraine to Russia. Moscow has rejected the allegations.
Ukraine’s human rights ombudsman Dmytro Lubinets said in televised remarks Thursday that the transfer of thousands of Ukrainian children to Belarus helped Moscow cover up the information about the unlawful deportation of children.
Earlier this month, the International Red Cross suspended the organization’s Belarusian chapter after its chief, Dzmitry Shautsou, stirred international outrage for boasting that it was actively ferrying Ukrainian children from Russian-controlled areas to Belarus.
Shautsou called the move “absolutely politicized,” claiming that Ukrainian children who visited Belarus for “health improvement” returned home safely.
Belarus has been Moscow’s closest ally since the Russian invasion of Ukraine began in February 2022, when Lukashenko allowed the Kremlin to use his country’s territory to invade Ukraine. Russia has also deployed some of its tactical nuclear weapons in Belarus.
veryGood! (89)
Related
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Paramedic convictions in Elijah McClain’s death spur changes for patients in police custody
- Panera adds 9 new menu items, including Bacon Mac & Cheese pasta, Chicken Bacon Rancher
- Fan-Fave Travel Brand CALPAK Just Launched Its First-Ever Baby Collection, & We're Obsessed
- A New York Appellate Court Rejects a Broad Application of the State’s Green Amendment
- Visa Cash App RB: Sellout or symbiotic relationship? Behind the Formula 1 team's new name
- Missouri process server and police officer shot and killed after trying to serve eviction notice
- Remains of Florida girl who went missing 20 years ago found, sheriff says
- 'Meet me at the gate': Watch as widow scatters husband's ashes, BASE jumps into canyon
- 50 years ago, 'Blazing Saddles' broke wind — and box office expectations
Ranking
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- 2024 NFL scouting combine Friday: How to watch defensive backs and tight ends
- Dodgers superstar Shohei Ohtani announces he is married
- Avalanche kills American man in backcountry of Japanese mountains, police say
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- Vanderpump Rules Alums Jax Taylor & Brittany Cartwright Announce Separation
- Caitlin Clark fever: Indiana Fever, WNBA legends react to Iowa star declaring for draft
- A growing number of gamers are LGBTQ+, so why is representation still lacking?
Recommendation
US Open player compensation rises to a record $65 million, with singles champs getting $3.6 million
Jax Taylor and Brittany Cartwright Separate After 4 Years of Marriage: Look Back at Their Romance
Musk’s X asks judge to penalize nonprofit researchers tracking rise of hate speech on platform
Karol G's Private Jet Makes Emergency Landing in Los Angeles
North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
Why Israel uses diaspora bonds
'My Stanley cup saves my life': Ohio woman says tumbler stopped a bullet
Sony is laying off about 900 PlayStation employees