Current:Home > reviewsSafeX Pro:Alec Baldwin Pleads Not Guilty to Involuntary Manslaughter in Rust Shooting of Halyna Hutchins -Capitatum
SafeX Pro:Alec Baldwin Pleads Not Guilty to Involuntary Manslaughter in Rust Shooting of Halyna Hutchins
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-06 07:15:01
Alec Baldwin has pleaded not guilty to involuntary manslaughter in the fatal shooting of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on SafeX Prothe set of their film Rust.
The actor, who previously denied any wrongdoing in connection with her 2021 death, entered his plea in a Feb. 23 filing at a court in Santa Fe, N.M., more than three weeks after he and set armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed were formally charged with involuntary manslaughter.
The armorer's lawyer told The New York Times she planned to plead not guilty at a virtual hearing scheduled Feb. 24. Previously, assistant director David Halls, signed a plea deal over the charge of negligent use of a deadly weapon in connection with the fatal shooting and was given six months of probation.
The Santa Fe County district attorney's office had alleged in a Feb. 7 statement that that Hutchins "died because of gross negligence and a reckless disregard for safety on the Rust film set." The 42-year-old was killed by a lead projectile that was fired from a vintage .45 Colt revolver used as a prop, which Baldwin had been holding while rehearsing for the movie.
He told ABC News in 2021 that while he cocked the gun, "The trigger wasn't pulled. I didn't pull the trigger."
The Departed actor's not guilty plea comes less than a week after prosecutors dropped a five-year gun enhancement attached to his and Gutierrez-Reed's charges, following a filing from his attorneys. This reduces any possible prison sentences, should they be convicted, to a maximum of 18 months in prison, according to The New York Times.
In addition to their criminal charges, Baldwin and Gutierrez-Reed are also named in a civil lawsuit filed by Hutchins' Ukraine-based parents and sister, who allege battery, negligence, intentional infliction of emotional distress and loss of consortium in connection with the cinematographer's death. The actor and armorer have not commented on the civil case.
Baldwin had previously been named in a wrongful death lawsuit that Hutchins' husband Matthew Hutchins, father of their son Andros, 10, filed in 2022. The case was dismissed when without any admission of wrongdoing after the parties reached a settlement.
Matthew later said in a statement that filming on Rust will resume with himself as an executive producer. Earlier this month, it was announced production on the film would begin again in the spring, with Baldwin in tow.
"The production will continue to utilize union crew members and will bar any use of working weapons and any form of ammunition," a press release stated. "Live ammunition is—and always was—prohibited on set."
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (214)
Related
- FBI: California woman brought sword, whip and other weapons into Capitol during Jan. 6 riot
- New Toyota, Subaru and more debut at the 2023 L.A. Auto Show
- Gaston Glock, the Austrian developer of the Glock handgun, dies at 94
- Man fatally shot by Connecticut police was wanted in a 2022 shooting, fired at dog, report says
- Jury selection set for Monday for ex-politician accused of killing Las Vegas investigative reporter
- Mariah Carey's boyfriend Bryan Tanaka confirms 'amicable separation' from singer
- Fantasy football rankings for Week 17: Healthy QBs hold keys to championship quest
- Texas highway chase ends with police ripping apart truck’s cab and pulling the driver out
- Organizers cancel Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna over fears of an attack
- Opposition candidate in Congo alleges police fired bullets as protesters seek re-do of election
Ranking
- Golf's No. 1 Nelly Korda looking to regain her form – and her spot on the Olympic podium
- Comedian Tom Smothers, one-half of the Smothers Brothers, dies at 86
- Lee Sun-kyun, star of Oscar-winning film 'Parasite,' found dead in South Korea
- Hong Kong man jailed for 6 years after pleading guilty to a terrorism charge over a foiled bomb plot
- 'Meet me at the gate': Watch as widow scatters husband's ashes, BASE jumps into canyon
- No let-up in Israeli airstrikes on Gaza as Christmas dawns
- University of Wisconsin system fires chancellor for reputation-damaging behavior
- Surprise, surprise! International NBA stars dominate MVP early conversation once again
Recommendation
Oklahoma parole board recommends governor spare the life of man on death row
Juvenile sperm whale euthanized after stranding on North Carolina beach
Inside the unclaimed baggage center where lost luggage finds new life
Nick and Aaron Carter’s Late Sister Bobbie Jean Carter Was Found Unresponsive in Bathroom
Everything Simone Biles did at the Paris Olympics was amplified. She thrived in the spotlight
Who wins the CFP semifinals? The College Football Fix makes their picks
Texas has arrested thousands on trespassing charges at the border. Illegal crossings are still high
Michigan Supreme Court rejects bid to keep Trump off 2024 primary ballot