Current:Home > MarketsArkansas medical marijuana supporters sue state over decision measure won’t qualify for ballot -Capitatum
Arkansas medical marijuana supporters sue state over decision measure won’t qualify for ballot
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-06 19:33:33
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) — Organizers of an effort to expand medical marijuana i n Arkansas sued the state on Tuesday for its decision that the proposal won’t qualify for the November ballot.
Arkansans for Patient Access asked the state Supreme Court to order Secretary of State John Thurston’s office to certify their proposal for the ballot. Thurston on Monday said the proposal did not qualify, ruling that its petitions fell short of the valid signatures from registered voters needed.
The medical marijuana proposal was aimed at expanding a measure that the state’s voters approved in 2016. It would have broadened the definition of medical professionals who can certify patients for medical cannabis, expanded qualifying conditions and made medical cannabis cards valid for three years.
The group’s lawsuit challenges Thurston’s decision to not count some of the signatures because the state asserted it had not followed paperwork rules regarding paid signature gatherers. The suit comes weeks after a ballot measure that would have scaled back Arkansas’ abortion ban was blocked from the ballot over similar assertions it didn’t comply with paperwork requirements.
The state in July determined the group had fallen short of the required signatures, but qualified for 30 additional days to circulate petitions. But the state then told the group that any additional signatures gathered by paid signature gatherers would not be counted if required information was submitted by the canvassing company rather than sponsors of the measure.
The group said the move was a change in the state’s position since the same standard wasn’t applied to petitions it previously submitted.
“It would be fundamentally unfair for the secretary’s newly ‘discovered’ position to be imposed on APA at the eleventh hour of the signature collection process,” the group said in its filing.
Thurston’s office declined to comment on the lawsuit. Attorney General Tim Griffin said he would defend Thurston’s office in court.
“Our laws protect the integrity of the ballot initiative process,” Griffin said in a statement. “I applaud Secretary of State John Thurston for his commitment to diligently follow the law, and I will vigorously defend him in court.”
veryGood! (7516)
Related
- $1 Frostys: Wendy's celebrates end of summer with sweet deal
- Russia says southeast Ukraine is now the main focus of fighting in the war
- In 'The Fraud,' Zadie Smith seeks to 'do absolute justice to the truth'
- Priscilla Presley says Elvis 'respected the fact that I was only 14 years old' when they met
- Boy who wandered away from his 5th birthday party found dead in canal, police say
- Diddy to give publishing rights to Bad Boy Records artists Notorious B.I.G., Mase, Faith Evans
- Meghan Markle Returns for Second Beyoncé Concert Alongside Kerry Washington and Kelly Rowland
- New York police agree to reform protest tactics in settlement over 2020 response
- Tropical rains flood homes in an inland Georgia neighborhood for the second time since 2016
- There have been more mass shootings than days in 2023, database shows
Ranking
- Tropical weather brings record rainfall. Experts share how to stay safe in floods.
- Mother bear with 2 cubs is shot dead, sparking outrage in Italy
- Breanna Stewart sets WNBA single-season scoring record, Liberty edge Wings
- Helicopter and small plane collide midair in Alaska national park, injuring 1 person
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Best time to book holiday travel is mid-October, expert says: It's the sweet spot
- Lawsuit claims mobile home park managers conspired to fix and inflate lot rental prices
- Wet roads and speed factored into car crashing into Denny’s restaurant, Texas police chief says
Recommendation
Meet 11-year-old skateboarder Zheng Haohao, the youngest Olympian competing in Paris
Linda Evangelista reveals 2018 breast cancer diagnosis: 'I have one foot in the grave'
Fire destroys bowling alley in North Dakota town
Saudi Arabia and Russia move to extend oil cuts could drive up gas prices
Former Milwaukee hotel workers charged with murder after video shows them holding down Black man
Burning Man festival attendees, finally free to leave, face 7 hours of traffic
Linda Evangelista reveals 2018 breast cancer diagnosis: 'I have one foot in the grave'
Inflation is easing and a risk of recession is fading. Why are Americans still stressed?