Current:Home > FinanceEx-Michigan State coach Mel Tucker wins court fight over release of text messages -Capitatum
Ex-Michigan State coach Mel Tucker wins court fight over release of text messages
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-07 01:23:31
MASON, Mich. — An Ingham County judge dismissed a lawsuit brought against former Michigan State football coach Mel Tucker by the woman the school said he sexually harassed.
The lawsuit, which centered around text messages between Brenda Tracy and her friend Ahlan Alvarado that were released by Tucker and his attorneys last year, had been filed on behalf of Tracy's nonprofit and an LLC in her name. Alvarado, who has since died, was Tracy's friend of two decades and also worked as her booking assistant for her nonprofit, Set The Expectation.
MSU fired Tucker for cause last year after Tracy reported that he'd sexually harassed her and the university investigated. Tucker's attorneys have said the messages show Tracy had a personal, consensual relationship with Tucker.
During a hearing on Thursday morning, Ingham County Circuit Court Judge Wanda Stokes dismissed six of the seven counts in the lawsuit because attorneys for Tracy's nonprofit had not met legal standards for the lawsuit to proceed to discovery. She ruled the remaining count was moot because a protective order previously agreed upon between the parties will remain in place.
The protective order bars the release of specific information related to sexual assault, harassment or gender discrimination victims.
The dismissal with prejudice means attorneys for Tracy's nonprofit can't refile the lawsuit.
Eric Delaporte, an attorney for Tracy's nonprofit, said he plans to appeal Stokes' ruling. He also said he will look into remedies for what he said were lies Tucker's attorneys made in court and in filings. He said Tucker and his attorneys ruined the nonprofit's name when they released some texts previously.
Tracy, a national sexual violence prevention advocate who has spoken to MSU's football team and was on campus another time as an honorary captain for a spring game, has said Tucker sexually harassed her, including making sexual comments and having unwanted phone sex with her in 2022.
The legal fight over text messages began about a month after USA TODAY published a story in September detailing MSU's long-running sexual harassment investigation of Tucker. The university suspended him without pay the same day the story was published and weeks later fired him for cause.
In October, the MSU hearing officer hired to adjudicate the harassment proceeding issued a report that found Tucker responsible for violating the school's sexual harassment policy.
Tucker — who denies any wrongdoing and said he and Tracy had a consensual, intimate relationship — has taken steps to file a lawsuit over his termination. According to his contract, signed in 2021, he was owed about $80 million in guaranteed money when he was fired.
In October, on the day of a key hearing in the former coach's harassment case, Tucker's legal team released pages of text messages between Tracy and Alvarado.
Tracy then sought a court order preventing Tucker's team from releasing additional messages, arguing further releases would include sensitive or confidential matters that could cause irreparable harm. Private discussions between Tracy and Alvarado "involve highly sensitive information regarding other survivors and their families," Tracy wrote in an affidavit filed with the motion for the restraining order.
Less than a month after that agreement, Tucker and his attorneys asked the judge to dismiss the case altogether.
veryGood! (9536)
Related
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Details on iOS 18: Better (and scheduled) messages just the start of soon-to-be features
- Boeing’s CEO is scheduled to field questions about plane safety from U.S. senators
- The Washington Post’s leaders are taking heat for journalism in Britain that wouldn’t fly in the US
- British golfer Charley Hull blames injury, not lack of cigarettes, for poor Olympic start
- Psst! Wayfair’s Anniversary Sale Is Here—Score Furniture, Lighting, and Decor up to 70% Off
- Shooter who killed 5 at a Colorado LGBTQ+ club set to plead guilty to federal hate crimes
- Microdose mushroom chocolates have hospitalized people in 8 states, FDA warns
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- Newborn baby found abandoned near Texas walking trail
Ranking
- Golf's No. 1 Nelly Korda looking to regain her form – and her spot on the Olympic podium
- 2024 College World Series: Highlights as Texas A&M beats Kentucky for trip to semifinals
- Israeli military says it will begin a daily tactical pause to allow for humanitarian aid into southern Gaza
- Serena Williams Says Her Confidence Is Coming Back While Getting Stomach-Tightening Procedure
- Family of explorer who died in the Titan sub implosion seeks $50M-plus in wrongful death lawsuit
- Howie Mandel says he saw his wife Terry's skull after drunken fall
- Apple kills off its buy now, pay later service service barely a year after launch
- From backyard lawns to airport fields, 11-year-old turns lawn mowing dreams into reality
Recommendation
American news website Axios laying off dozens of employees
11 guns found in home of suspected Michigan splash pad shooter
New York midwife pleads guilty to destroying 2,600 COVID-19 vaccines and issuing fraudulent cards
No survivors as twin-engine Cessna crashes in Colorado mobile home park
The GOP and Kansas’ Democratic governor ousted targeted lawmakers in the state’s primary
Brooklyn preacher gets 9 years in prison for multiyear fraud
Colorado Supreme Court to hear arguments in transgender cake case
Why Ariana Grande’s Voice Change Is Shocking Fans