Current:Home > NewsFirst container ship arrives at Port of Baltimore since Key Bridge collapse: "Another milestone" -Capitatum
First container ship arrives at Port of Baltimore since Key Bridge collapse: "Another milestone"
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-07 02:34:36
BALTIMORE -- The first container ship arrived at the Port of Baltimore since the Francis Scott Key Bridge collapsed more than a month ago.
The MSC Cargo Passion III made it through the 35-foot temporary channel on Sunday, carrying nearly 1,000 containers.
"Another milestone today! First container ship to arrive at Seagirt Terminal since the crisis began," the Port of Baltimore said on social media.
Four temporary channels have been opened since the bridge's collapse on March 26.
This fourth channel will only be open for a few days, but at 35 feet deep and 300 feet wide it will allow several ships that are stuck in the Port of Baltimore to get out.
"Around that 35-foot draft is where you're really starting to get some of the inventory that's coming onboard that had really been some of the hallmarks of The Port of Baltimore," Maryland Governor Wes Moore said.
The opening of these channels follows the largest of four recent openings on Thursday, which restored 15% of the pre-collapse commercial activity at the Port of Baltimore. The adjustment will allow large commercial ships that were stuck to depart and others to enter, including those carrying containers, vehicles, and farm equipment.
Another milestone today! First container ship to arrive at Seagirt Terminal since the crisis began. @MSCCargo Passion III came through 35-foot-deep temporary channel. Nearly 1,000 containers handled by about 80 @ILALocal333 workers. We're getting there... @portsamericahq pic.twitter.com/jBAnPbLatd
— Port of Baltimore (@portofbalt) April 28, 2024
Recreational boats allowed
Recreational boats will also be able to pass through the Key Bridge collapse salvage area during specific hours.
Larry Lewis has spent the last 20 or so years on the water. He says the opportunity to pass through the collapse site is important for recreational boaters, not just chartering businesses.
"We have boaters and owners who are stuck on the other side of the bridge, and some who are trying to get out for maintenance and things done," Lewis said.
Traffic through the temporary channels will be strictly one-way, with outbound movements scheduled from 3:30 to 4:30 PM and inbound from 4:30 to 5:30 PM.
"There's going to be plenty of people out there that's going to be directing and keeping this a very safe and orderly passage," Lewis explained.
Salvage effort at Key Bridge site ongoing
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is leading the salvage effort. The branch said its priority is to clear the main channel through the river to reopen access to the Port of Baltimore.
Massive floating cranes are being used as wreckage and debris removal continues. Engineers have to break the mangled bridge into smaller pieces to lift them away, and Navy sonar images revealed wreckage in the deepest part of the channel.
Gov. Wes Moore announced Friday that over 1,300 tons of steel from what used to be the Francis Scott Key Bridge have been removed from the river so far.
The rubble and debris are going to nearby Sparrows Point for processing and recycling.
Main shipping channel timeline remains end of May
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers expects to reopen the main shipping channel - which is 700 feet wide and 50 feet deep - by the end of May.
"There's no way around it that in terms of the impact on the local and the state economy, we want to resume 100 percent of pre-collapse activity because it just contributes to so many jobs in the economy, contributes to so much income that flows through both the city, the county and the rest of the state," DePasquale said.
With the main channel closed, businesses have had to use alternative methods to transport their products.
With nearly half of the 700-foot main shipping channel cleared, salvage teams are now focused on the portion of the span on top of the Dali.
2 bodies remain missing
The men killed in the Key Bridge collapse were working for Brawner Builders, filling potholes on the center span of the bridge.
"Most were immigrants, but all were Marylanders." President Joe Biden said shortly after the collapse. "Hardworking, strong and selfless. After pulling a night shift fixing potholes, they were on a break when the ship struck."
As a memorial grows on Fort Armistead Road for the six men killed in the accident, recovery efforts to locate the two workers still missing under the wreckage are ongoing. They have been identified as Miguel Luna, of El Salvador, and Jose Maynor Lopez, of Guatemala.
Three of the victims recovered were identified as: Dorlian Cabrera, 26, who was originally from Guatemala and lived in Dundalk; Alejandro Hernandez Fuentes, 35, who lived in Baltimore and was from Mexico; and Maynor Yasir Suazo-Sandoval, 38, of Guatemala.
A fourth body was recovered last week. He has not been identified at the request of his family, but he is known to be from Mexico.
Adam ThompsonAdam Thompson was raised in Ohio, but made stops in Virginia and North Carolina before landing in Maryland.
veryGood! (1)
Related
- Breaking debut in Olympics raises question: Are breakers artists or athletes?
- Raiders vs. Chargers Thursday Night Football highlights: Las Vegas sets franchise record for points
- Tori Spelling Reveals 16-Year-Old Liam Suffered Fall Down the Stairs Before Surgery
- We asked, you answered: How have 'alloparents' come to your rescue?
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- Air Jordans made for filmmaker Spike Lee are up for auction after being donated to Oregon shelter
- Israeli military opens probe after videos show Israeli forces killing 2 Palestinians at close range
- LA Bowl put Rob Gronkowski, Jimmy Kimmel in its name but didn't charge for it. Here's why.
- Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear ready to campaign for Harris-Walz after losing out for spot on the ticket
- Economists now predict the U.S. is heading for a soft landing. Here's what that means.
Ranking
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- How Exes La La Anthony and Carmelo Anthony Co-Parent During the Holidays
- How Eagles' Christmas album morphed from wild idea to hit record
- ‘Reacher’ star Alan Ritchson talks season two of hit show and how ‘Amazon took a risk’ on him
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- $600M in federal funding to go toward replacing I-5 bridge connecting Oregon and Washington
- Why Charlie Sheen Says He Can Relate to Matthew Perry’s Addiction Struggle
- 'American Fiction' review: Provocative satire unleashes a deliciously wry Jeffrey Wright
Recommendation
Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
Former Jaguars financial manager pleads guilty to stealing $22M. He faces up to 30 years in prison
Kanye West, antisemitism and the conversation we need to be having
US government injects confusion into Venezuela’s 2024 presidential election
Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
Prince Harry’s phone hacking victory is a landmark in the long saga of British tabloid misconduct
What is wrong with Draymond Green? Warriors big man needs to harness control on court
Guidelines around a new tax credit for sustainable aviation fuel is issued by Treasury Department