Current:Home > StocksRex Heuermann, suspect in Gilgo Beach serial killings, expected to be charged in 4th murder, sources say -Capitatum
Rex Heuermann, suspect in Gilgo Beach serial killings, expected to be charged in 4th murder, sources say
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-07 03:08:36
A man suspected in Long Island's Gilgo Beach cold case murders is expected to face new charges next week in connection with the killing of a fourth woman, a source familiar with the matter confirmed to CBS News.
Multiple sources confirmed that 60-year-old Rex Heuermann is scheduled to appear in Suffolk County Court Tuesday morning.
When reached by CBS News, the Suffolk County District Attorney's office declined to comment.
Heuermann, 60, was arrested in July 2023 and charged in the slayings of three women — Melissa Barthelemy, Megan Waterman and Amber Costello — whose remains were found near Gilgo Beach, on the south shore of Long Island, in December 2010.
Suffolk County prosecutors had previously said he is the prime suspect in the death of a fourth woman, Maureen Brainard-Barnes, whose remains were also found in the Gilgo beach area.
Heuermann, who worked as an architect prior to his arrest, has pleaded not guilty to the murders of the other three women. He has been held without bail in the Suffolk County Jail since his arrest.
According to court documents, investigators were led to Heuermann as a suspect when they began an extensive review of evidence in the case in 2022.
Prosecutors said FBI analysts were able to compare the cell site data of the victims' cellphones and data from multiple prepaid, anonymous burner phones the suspect used to communicate with each of the victims.
Furthermore, court documents read, a hair found on burlap that wrapped one of the victims was determined to be a DNA match to Heuermann, based on a DNA sample retrieved from crusts in a pizza box he discarded.
In all, the bodies of at least 10 victims were found in the area beginning in late-2010, believed to be the victims of a serial killer.
Investigators had been searching for a missing woman named Shannen Gilbert when they found other remains on Gilgo Beach in December 2010 — women in their 20s whose remains had been wrapped in burlap sacks. Known as the Gilgo Four, they were later identified as Brainard-Barnes, who went missing in 2007; Barthelemy missing in 2009; and Megan Waterman and Amber Costello, who went missing in 2010.
Six more sets of remains were found along Ocean Parkway in March of 2011.
— Tucker Reals and Stephen Smith contributed to this report.
- In:
- Gilgo Beach Murders
- Gilgo Beach
Pat Milton is a CBS News investigative producer
veryGood! (34)
Related
- 'Stranger Things' prequel 'The First Shadow' is headed to Broadway
- 18-year-old student shot near suburban New Orleans high school
- New York will set aside money to help local news outlets hire and retain employees
- Dashcam video shows Scottie Scheffler's arrest; officials say detective who detained golf star violated bodycam policy
- Louisiana high court temporarily removes Judge Eboni Johnson Rose from Baton Rouge bench amid probe
- Lawsuit seeks to block Washington parental rights law that critics call a ‘forced outing’ measure
- Supreme Court sides with South Carolina Republicans in redistricting dispute
- Holocaust museum will host free field trips for eighth graders in New York City public schools
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- Big 12 paid former commissioner Bob Bowlsby $17.2 million in his final year
Ranking
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- Artist who created Precious Moments figurines depicting teardrop-eyed children dies at the age of 85
- Navajo Nation approves proposed settlement to secure Colorado River water
- Senate border bill vote fails again as Democrats seek to shift blame to GOP
- Boy who wandered away from his 5th birthday party found dead in canal, police say
- Nvidia’s stock market value is up $1 trillion in 2024. How it rose to AI prominence, by the numbers
- American Airlines retreats after blaming a 9-year-old for not seeing a hidden camera in a lavatory
- Birmingham-Southern baseball trying to keep on playing as school prepares to close
Recommendation
Everything Simone Biles did at the Paris Olympics was amplified. She thrived in the spotlight
Jay Park reveals what he's learned about fame and how it 'could change in an instant'
Patrick Mahomes Reacts to Body-Shaming Comments
‘Heat dome’ leads to sweltering temperatures in Mexico, Central America and US South
American news website Axios laying off dozens of employees
Tennessee attorney general looking into attempt to sell Graceland in foreclosure auction
Palestinians welcome EU nations' statehood vow as Israel hammers Gaza, killing a mother and her unborn child
Chris Hemsworth went shockingly 'all in' as a villain in his new 'Mad Max' film 'Furiosa'