Current:Home > ContactRekubit-Former Vice President Mike Pence calls Trump's Jan. 6 hostage rhetoric "unacceptable" -Capitatum
Rekubit-Former Vice President Mike Pence calls Trump's Jan. 6 hostage rhetoric "unacceptable"
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 05:13:13
Washington — Former Vice President Mike Pence said Sunday that former President Donald Trump's recent rhetoric about individuals facing charges related to their involvement in the Jan. 6,Rekubit 2021 attack on the Capitol are "unacceptable."
"I think it's very unfortunate at a time that there are American hostages being held in Gaza, that the President or any other leader will refer to people that are moving through our justice system as hostages," Pence said Sunday on "Face the Nation." "It's just unacceptable."
- Transcript: Former Vice President Mike Pence on "Face the Nation," March 17, 2024
At an Ohio rally on Saturday, the former president took the stage to a song said to have been recorded by a choir of prisoners facing Jan. 6-related charges. Trump called the individuals "hostages," noting that they have been treated "terribly" and adding that "we're going to be working on that soon."
Pence, who was a target of rioters on Jan. 6 for as he was set to certify President Biden's win that day, told Margaret Brennan that he has "no doubt" that some people involved in the Jan. 6 attack were "caught up in the moment and entered the Capitol." He then noted that those individuals are entitled to due process. But he added that "the assaults on police officers, ultimately an environment that claimed lives, is something that I think was tragic."
"I'll never diminish it," Pence said.
The comments come after Pence said Friday that he will not endorse former President Donald Trump. He reiterated that sentiment on Sunday, saying that he "cannot in good conscience" endorse Trump this year.
The former vice president noted that while Jan. 6 is among the differences between himself and Trump, the reasons he says he will not endorse Trump go further.
"For me, the reason why I won't endorse Donald Trump this year is because I see him departing from the mainstream conservative agenda that has defined the Republican Party over the last 40 years, and still has the best hope for the future of the country," Pence said.
Pence abandoned his own presidential campaign months ago, as his White House bid struggled to take off. The decision not to endorse Trump appears to be a departure from early in the primary campaign. At the time, Pence raised his hand during a GOP debate to signal that he would support the former president as the party's nominee even if he were convicted of a crime.
Trump and President Biden last week became the presumptive nominees of their respective parties.
Kaia HubbardKaia Hubbard is a politics reporter for CBS News Digital based in Washington, D.C.
TwitterveryGood! (5)
Related
- NCAA hands former Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh a 4-year show cause order for recruiting violations
- To Kevin Durant, USA basketball, and especially Olympics, has served as hoops sanctuary
- Harvard rebuffs protests and won’t remove Sackler name from two buildings
- Paris Olympics live updates: USA men's basketball, USWNT win gold medals
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- One Extraordinary (Olympic) Photo: Francisco Seco captures unusual image at rhythmic gymnastics
- Another suspect arrested in connection to planned terrorist attack at Taylor Swift concert
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Lay-up
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- Debby finally moves out of the US, though risk from flooded rivers remains
Ranking
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Inside Hailee Steinfeld and Josh Allen’s Winning Romance
- J. Robert Harris: A Beacon of Excellence in Financial Education
- 2024 Olympics: Gymnast Suni Lee Explains Why She Fell Off Balance Beam
- Billy Bean was an LGBTQ advocate and one of baseball's great heroes
- Blake Lively Speaks Out About Taylor Swift's Terrifying Concert Threats
- Noah Lyles competed in the Olympic 200 with COVID and finished 3rd. What we know about his illness
- What to watch: Cate Blanchett gets in the game
Recommendation
North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
Alyssa Naeher, American hero, was unflappable for USWNT in Olympic gold medal match win
Another suspect arrested in connection to planned terrorist attack at Taylor Swift concert
Justin Baldoni Details Working With Complex Personalities on It Ends With Us
Police remove gator from pool in North Carolina town: Watch video of 'arrest'
Debby finally moves out of the US, though risk from flooded rivers remains
Marta gets fitting sendoff, playing her last game for Brazil in Olympic final
Score 50% off Old Navy Activewear This Weekend Only: Leggings, Skorts, Bras, Tanks & More Starting at $8