Current:Home > ScamsEthermac|Appeals court pauses removal of incarcerated youths from Louisiana’s maximum-security adult prison -Capitatum
Ethermac|Appeals court pauses removal of incarcerated youths from Louisiana’s maximum-security adult prison
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-07 03:14:04
BATON ROUGE,Ethermac LA. (AP) — A federal appeals court has temporarily halted a judge’s order that juvenile detainees must be removed by Friday from a former death row building at a Louisiana prison for adults.
The motion was granted by a three-judge panel on Wednesday pending a full review. It effectively pauses the initial ruling, issued last week by U.S. District Judge Shelly Dick in Baton Rouge, to transfer the youths from their temporary incarceration at the Louisiana State Penitentiary at Angola.
Attorneys for the youths have until noon Friday to file opposition to the stay request.
David Utter, one of the attorneys who originally sued the state over the transfer of juveniles to the Angola facility, said that while he is upset by the temporary pause, he hopes the appeals court “will see it our way.”
“Any day, any hour, kids are in that facility is harmful to them,” Utter said on Thursday.
Otha “Curtis” Nelson Jr., the deputy secretary of Louisiana’s Office of Juvenile Justice, said in a statement Thursday that the temporary pause allows his department to continue considering options available to the state that will “ensure the safety of staff, community members, and youth in our care.”
Juvenile detainees and their advocates allege in a lawsuit that youths have been held in harmful conditions at the penitentiary, suffering through dangerous heat waves, extended confinement to their cells, foul water and inadequate schooling.
Proponents have argued that the space is needed to house “high-risk” aggressive youths, many of whom have been involved in violent incidents at other detention facilities, and that locking them up at the adult prison keeps the community safe.
Juvenile inmates were first transferred last October to Angola -- one of the largest maximum-security prisons in the country and dubbed by some as the “Alcatraz of the South.”
Gov. John Bel Edwards announced the transfer after problems at youth detention centers in the summer of 2022 including a riot and multiple escapes. One escapee from a New Orleans-area facility is accused of a carjacking and shooting before he was captured. Transferring youths to Angola was described as a last-ditch but necessary measure amid capacity and safety concerns at juvenile detention facilities elsewhere.
Louisiana officials said the plan to transfer some youths to Angola was intended to reduce the youth detainee population at other troubled facilities until new, more secure facilities can be built or renovated. The transfers were supposed to have been a short-term fix, with a goal of moving youths from Angola to a new secure facility in Monroe by spring 2023. However, the timeline has been pushed back to November.
As of late August, 15 youths were housed in the Angola facility, but as many as 70 or 80 have passed through, according to attorneys working with the American Civil Liberties Union. The Associated Press requested an updated number of incarcerated youths in the lockup, but the Office of Juvenile Justice did not provide one on Thursday.
veryGood! (57)
Related
- American news website Axios laying off dozens of employees
- Why did the Philadelphia Eagles collapse? The roster isn't as talented as we all thought
- Solidly GOP Indiana doesn’t often see competitive primaries for governor. This year is different
- Love Is Blind Season 6 Cast Revealed: Meet the North Carolina Singles
- What polling shows about Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz, Harris’ new running mate
- US military launches another barrage of missiles against Houthi sites in Yemen
- Tina Fey talks best new 'Mean Girls' jokes, 'crazy' ways that '30 Rock' mirrors real life
- The 12 NFL teams that have never captured a Super Bowl championship
- Eva Mendes Shares Message of Gratitude to Olympics for Keeping Her and Ryan Gosling's Kids Private
- Colorado funeral home owners apparently sought to cover up money problems by abandoning bodies
Ranking
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- Ali Krieger Details Her “New Chapter” After Year of Change
- Man accused in murder of missing Montana woman Megan Stedman after motorhome found: Police
- Samsung vies to make AI more mainstream by baking in more of the technology in its new Galaxy phones
- Eva Mendes Shares Message of Gratitude to Olympics for Keeping Her and Ryan Gosling's Kids Private
- Costco tests new scanners to crack down on membership sharing
- Andruw Jones, one of MLB's greatest defensive center fielders, Hall of Fame candidacy
- Aide to Lloyd Austin asked ambulance to arrive quietly to defense secretary’s home, 911 call shows
Recommendation
Kansas City Chiefs CEO's Daughter Ava Hunt Hospitalized After Falling Down a Mountain
Costco tests new scanners to crack down on membership sharing
Lionel Messi will travel with Inter Miami for El Salvador game. But how much will he play?
What to do if your pipes freeze at home, according to plumbing experts
Your Wedding Guests Will Thank You if You Get Married at These All-Inclusive Resorts
Take these steps to protect yourself from winter weather dangers
Indigenous faith, reverence for land lead effort to conserve sacred forests in northeastern India
Kaley Cuoco gets candid about first year of motherhood, parenting hacks