Current:Home > NewsPaula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co -Capitatum
Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 01:23:38
Paula Abdul and Nigel Lythgoe have settled their lawsuit a year after the allegations sent shockwaves through the dance industry.
On Thursday, the "Straight Up" singer filed a notice of settlement for the lawsuit against her fellow former “So You Think You Can Dance” judge Lythgoe, which included allegations of sexual assault and harassment. The terms of the settlement are unknown.
On Dec. 29 of last year, Abdul filed a lawsuit against the former “American Idol” executive producer, alleging that he sexually assaulted her during one of the “initial seasons” of "Idol" — on which she served as a judge for eight seasons starting in 2002 — and again in 2014 when she was judging "SYTYCD."
“I am grateful that this chapter has successfully come to a close and is now something I can now put behind me,” Abdul said in a statement provided to CNN and CBS News.
Abdul continued: "This has been a long and hard-fought personal battle. I hope my experience can serve to inspire other women, facing similar struggles, to overcome their own challenges with dignity and respect, so that they too can turn the page and begin a new chapter of their lives.”
Need a break?Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
USA TODAY has reached out to reps for Abdul and Lythgoe for comment.
Nigel Lythgoe is leaving Fox's'So You Think You Can Dance' amid sexual assault lawsuits
Other allegations against Lythgoe
Days after Abdul filed her lawsuit, two contestants who appeared on the 2003 ABC talent competition show "All American Girl" accused Lythgoe of sexual assault, sexual harassment, and negligence stemming from an alleged attack in May of that year. They filed anonymously, using the names Jane Doe K.G. and Jane Doe K.N.
Lythgoe worked on 'American Idol', 'SYTYCD'
Lythgoe produced “Idol” from 2002 to 2014 and "SYTYCD" from 2005-14.
He was a "SYTYCD" judge from its inception in 2005, but stepped back from the "SYTYCD" judging panel in January, telling USA TODAY in a statement at the time that he "informed the producers of ‘So You Think You Can Dance’ of my decision to step back from participating in this year’s series."
Contributing: KiMi Robinson
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (9379)
Related
- Plunge Into These Olympic Artistic Swimmers’ Hair and Makeup Secrets
- Convenience store chain where Biden bought snacks while campaigning hit with discrimination lawsuit
- Alabama lawmakers advance bill to strengthen state’s weak open records law
- Alabama plans to eliminate tolls en route to the beach
- Matt Damon remembers pal Robin Williams: 'He was a very deep, deep river'
- Tyler Cameron Slams Gerry Turner and Theresa Nist For Putting a Stain on Love and Bachelor Nation
- Missouri lawmakers expand private school scholarships backed by tax credits
- 'Transformers One' trailer launches, previewing franchise's first fully CG-animated film
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Pepsi Lime or Pepsi Peach? 2 limited-edition sodas to make debut in time for summer
Ranking
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- Ex-youth center resident testifies that counselor went from trusted father figure to horrific abuser
- Why Cheryl Burke Says Being a Breadwinner Put Strain on Matthew Lawrence Marriage
- Oregon football player Daylen Austin charged in hit-and-run that left 46-year-old man dead
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- Musicians pay tribute to Allman Brothers guitarist Dickey Betts after death at 80
- Fire in truck carrying lithium ion batteries leads to 3-hour evacuation in Columbus, Ohio
- Alleged homicide suspect fatally shot by police in San Francisco Bay Area
Recommendation
The GOP and Kansas’ Democratic governor ousted targeted lawmakers in the state’s primary
Ex-Indianapolis elementary teacher orchestrated 'fight club'-style disciplinary system, lawsuit says
Indianapolis man charged with murder in fatal shootings of 3 at apartment complex
Amazon Prime's 'Fallout': One thing I wish they'd done differently
Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
Judge in Trump case orders media not to report where potential jurors work
Brittany Cartwright Claps Back at Comments Her Boobs Make Her Look Heavier
AL East champions' latest 'great dude' has arrived with Colton Cowser off to .400 start