Current:Home > MarketsFormer Trump adviser Peter Navarro's contempt trial to begin Tuesday -Capitatum
Former Trump adviser Peter Navarro's contempt trial to begin Tuesday
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-07 02:43:35
Former Trump White House adviser Peter Navarro will go to trial Tuesday on criminal charges that he defied a subpoena for testimony and documents issued in February 2022 by the House select committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol.
The House of Representatives voted in April 2022 to hold Navarro in contempt of Congress. The matter was then referred to the Justice Department, and two months later Navarro was indicted by a grand jury on contempt of Congress charges.
According to the indictment, Navarro faces one count over his refusal to appear for a deposition in front of the committee, and another count for refusing to produce documents.
MORE: Judge says former Trump adviser Peter Navarro has failed to show Trump asserted executive privilege
Navarro has pleaded not guilty to both charges. If convicted on both counts, he could face a maximum of two years in prison and fines up to $200,000, according to the Justice Department.
Last week, Judge Amit Mehta ruled that Navarro cannot argue to a jury that then-President Donald Trump asserted executive privilege to block him from testifying before Congress. Mehta said that Navarro's claim that he spoke to Trump last year at which time "Trump clearly invoked executive privilege" provided no specific evidence that Trump had indeed done so.
"There was no formal invocation of executive privilege by [Trump] after personal consideration nor authorization to Mr. Navarro to invoke privilege on his behalf," Mehta said.
After the pre-trial hearing, Navarro doubled down on his claim that Trump formally granted him executive privilege.
"It's been the case where people like me, senior advisers, the president ... cannot be compelled to testify," Navarro said to reporters last week. "There is not a single White House adviser who hasn't asserted executive privilege."
Navarro, who was the director of the White House Office of Trade and Manufacturing Policy in the Trump White House, wrote a series of reports in the weeks following the 2020 presidential election claiming that the election was stolen from Trump.
He was also in contact with Trump ally Steve Bannon about an effort to delay Congress' certification of the election and overturn the results, a plan Navarro dubbed the "Green Bay Sweep" in his book, "In Trump Time," the Jan. 6 committee wrote in its report.
Bannon also defied a House select committee subpoena and was subsequently convicted on two counts of contempt of Congress last year.
veryGood! (186)
Related
- Bodycam footage shows high
- ACLU plans to spend $1.3M in educate Montana voters about state Supreme Court candidates
- Courts in Nebraska and Missouri weigh arguments to keep abortion measures off the ballot
- What James Earl Jones had to say about love, respect and his extraordinary career
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Chipotle uses memes for inspiration in first-ever costume line with Spirit Halloween
- When do new episodes of 'SNL' come out? Season 50 premiere date and what we know so far
- Tom Brady is far from the GOAT in NFL broadcast debut, but he can still improve
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- Teen Mom's Catelynn Lowell Says She's Been Blocked by Daughter Carly's Adoptive Parents
Ranking
- RFK Jr. grilled again about moving to California while listing New York address on ballot petition
- Fine Particulate Matter Air Pollutants, Known as PM2.5, Have Led to Disproportionately High Deaths Among Black Americans
- In Romania, she heard church bells. They tolled for her child, slain in GA school shooting
- In Romania, she heard church bells. They tolled for her child, slain in GA school shooting
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- 1 Day Left! Extra 25% Off Nordstrom Clearance + Up to 74% Off Madewell, Free People, Good American & More
- James Earl Jones, Star Wars and The Lion King Voice Actor, Dead at 93
- North Carolina House Rep. Jeffrey Elmore resigning before term ends
Recommendation
Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
Why Teen Mom’s Catelynn Lowell Thinks Daughter’s Carly Adoptive Parents Feel “Threatened”
Are you working yourself to death? Your job won't prioritize your well-being. You can.
Lala Kent Reveals Name of Baby No. 2
Connie Chiume, South African 'Black Panther' actress, dies at 72
Unionized Workers Making EV Batteries Downplay Politics of the Product
Revisiting Taylor Swift and Kanye West's MTV VMAs Feud 15 Years Later
Kandi Burruss Says This $19.99 Jumpsuit “Does Miracles” to “Suck in a Belly” and “Smooth Out Thighs”