Current:Home > NewsEchoSense:San Jose State volleyball at the center of another decision on forfeiting -Capitatum
EchoSense:San Jose State volleyball at the center of another decision on forfeiting
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-06 19:39:59
The EchoSenseUniversity of Nevada has made it clear that its Oct. 26 volleyball match against San Jose State will go on as scheduled after the team’s players released an independent statement saying they would “refuse to participate in any match that advances injustice against female athletes.”
Four teams had previously canceled games against San Jose State: Boise State, Southern Utah, Utah State and Wyoming, with none of the schools explicitly saying why they were forfeiting.
“We demand that our right to safety and fair competition on the court be upheld,” read the Nevada players’ statement, which the university said Monday was released the day prior without consultation with school officials.
The Republican governors of Idaho, Utah and Wyoming have made public statements in support of the cancellations, citing a need for fairness in women’s sports.
Nevada’s Republican Governor, Joe Lombardo, posted Tuesday on the social platform X that he “wholeheartedly respect the decision of the players. No student athlete should ever be pressured to play a game where they don’t feel safe — period.”
San Jose State has not made any direct comments about the politicians’ “fairness” references.
Nevada’s athletic department cited state equality laws as the reason it couldn’t back out of its match, while acknowledging most of the players said they wouldn’t take the court.
The athletic department also stated the university is “governed by federal law as well as the rules and regulations of the NCAA and the Mountain West Conference, which include providing competition in an inclusive and supportive environment.”
Nevada’s Republican lieutenant governor also supported a cancellation before the school corrected its course.
The athletic department said players will not be subject to disciplinary action if they refuse to participate in the match.
“The players’ decision and statement were made independently, and without consultation with the University or the athletic department,” Nevada athletics’ statement read. “The players’ decision also does not represent the position of the University.”
Nevada senior Sia Liilii told OutKick the team was upset with its athletic department.
“We decided that we’re going to stand in solidarity with other teams that have already forfeited and that we wouldn’t participate in a game that advances sex-based discrimination or injustice against female athletes,” Liilii told the website.
The cancellations could cause some teams to not qualify for the conference tournament Nov. 27-30 in Las Vegas.
___
AP college sports: https://apnews.com/hub/college-sports
veryGood! (6)
Related
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- EPA rule bans toxic chemical that’s commonly used as paint stripper but known to cause liver cancer
- An apple a day really can help keep the doctor away. Here's how.
- Family of Ralph Yarl files lawsuit against Andrew Lester, homeowners association after 2023 shooting
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- Don't use TikTok? Here's what to know about the popular app and its potential ban in US
- A Yellowstone trip that ended with a man being arrested for kicking a bison
- Golden tickets: See what movie theaters are offering senior discounts
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- Billy Joel's ex-wife Christie Brinkley dances as he performs 'Uptown Girl': Watch
Ranking
- Big Lots store closures could exceed 300 nationwide, discount chain reveals in filing
- Dax Shepard Shares Video of Kristen Bell “So Gassed” on Nitrous Oxide at Doctor’s Office
- U.S. and Mexico drop bid to host 2027 World Cup, Brazil and joint German-Dutch-Belgian bids remain
- Memphis residents say environmental racism prompted pollution ‘cesspool,' wreaking havoc
- Police remove gator from pool in North Carolina town: Watch video of 'arrest'
- Prosecutors at Donald Trump’s hush money trial zero in on the details
- Former teacher at New Hampshire youth detention center testifies about bruised teens
- Mike Tyson-Jake Paul bout set for eight rounds, sanctioned as pro fight for July 20
Recommendation
The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
Mississippi lawmakers expected to vote on Medicaid expansion plan with work requirement
Over 80,000 pounds of deli meat recalled across multiple states due to lacking inspection
Numerous law enforcement officers shot in Charlotte, North Carolina, police say
Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
Anne Hathaway Shares She's 5 Years Sober
Skipping updates on your phone? Which apps are listening? Check out these tech tips
Tesla’s stock leaps on reports of Chinese approval for the company’s driving software