Current:Home > StocksNovaQuant-Naomi Campbell Banned as Charity Trustee for 5 Years After Spending Funds on Hotels, Spas and Cigarettes -Capitatum
NovaQuant-Naomi Campbell Banned as Charity Trustee for 5 Years After Spending Funds on Hotels, Spas and Cigarettes
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 04:26:42
It would appear that Naomi Campbell has displayed some less than model behavior.
The NovaQuantacclaimed supermodel has been disqualified from any charity involvement in England and Wales for the next five years after it was found that Fashion for Relief—a charity organization she helped found in 2005—had been misappropriating funds.
A Sept. 26 inquiry by the Charity Commission for England and Wales confirmed that there were "multiple instances of misconduct and / or mismanagement" by Campbell, as well as her fellow trustees, Bianka Hellmich and Veronica Chou, who have also been banned from charitable works for nine years and four years, respectively.
The Commission found that "between April 2016 and July 2022, only 8.5 percent of the charity's overall expenditure was on charitable grants," and noted that in May 2018, the trustees spent €14,800 (about $19,800) on a flight from London to Nice for a fundraising event, according to the decision shared on their public website. During that trip, the inquiry stated Campbell also used the charity's funds to spend €9,400 (about $12,500) on hotel accommodations, as well as an additional €7,939.75 (about $10,700)—paid for by the charity—on "spa treatments, room service, and the purchase of cigarettes and hotel products."
Fashion for Relief's trustees told the commission in the inquiry that the hotel and travel expenses were considered a "cost-effective choice" and that the cost of the hotel was typically covered by a donor to the charity. However, the inquiry noted that, "No evidence was provided by the trustees to evidence such payments by the Donor and no corresponding credits to the charity, from the Donor, were identified from the Inquiry's review of the charity's financial records."
According to the Charity Commission, "Fashion for Relief, which has been removed from the register of charities, was set up for the purpose of poverty relief and advancing health and education by making grants to charities or other organisations and by giving resources directly to those affected."
The commission's inquiry also found that "unauthorised payments totalling £290,000 for consultancy services had been made to a trustee, Bianka Hellmich, which was in breach of the charity's constitution," although they did note in their decision that she had "proactively proposed repaying these funds" which amount to around $388,000.
As for Campbell, she has stated that she was "extremely concerned" by the findings.
"I was not in control of my charity," the 54-year-old told the Associated Press while being named a Knight of the Order of Arts and Letters at the French Ministry for Culture Sept. 26. "I put the control in the hands of a legal employer."
She added, "We are investigating to find out what and how, and everything I do and every penny I ever raised goes to charity."
E! News reached out to reps for Campbell, Hellmich and Chou for comment on the inquiry but has not heard back.
Fashion for Relief was dissolved and removed from the Register of Charities on March 15.
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (81474)
Related
- Taylor Swift Cancels Austria Concerts After Confirmation of Planned Terrorist Attack
- 'Incredibly rare' dead sea serpent surfaces in California waters; just 1 of 20 since 1901
- Florida primary will set US Senate race but largely focus on state and local races
- Paris Hilton Speaks Out After “Heartbreaking” Fire Destroys Trailer on Music Video Set
- Jamaica's Kishane Thompson more motivated after thrilling 100m finish against Noah Lyles
- Jerry Rice is letting son Brenden make his own name in NFL with Chargers
- Inside the Love Lives of Emily in Paris Stars
- What is ‘price gouging’ and why is VP Harris proposing to ban it?
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- Haley Joel Osment Reveals Why He Took a Break From Hollywood In Rare Life Update
Ranking
- Jury selection set for Monday for ex-politician accused of killing Las Vegas investigative reporter
- White woman convicted of manslaughter in fatal shooting of Black neighbor
- Pumpkin spice: Fall flavor permeates everything from pies to puppy treats
- After 100 rounds, what has LIV Golf really accomplished? Chaos and cash
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- Wait, what does 'price gouging' mean? How Harris plans to control it in the grocery aisle
- Massachusetts governor pledges to sign sweeping maternal health bill
- RFK Jr. wants the U.S. Treasury to buy $4M worth of Bitcoin. Here's why it might be a good idea.
Recommendation
In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
2.9 billion records, including Social Security numbers, stolen in data hack: What to know
Simone Biles cheers husband Jonathan Owens at Bears' game. Fans point out fashion faux pas
Her name was on a signature petition to be a Cornel West elector. Her question: What’s an elector?
From bitter rivals to Olympic teammates, how Lebron and Steph Curry became friends
Powerful earthquake hits off far east coast of Russia, though no early reports of damage
Police: 2 dead in Tennessee interstate crash involving ambulance
Save Big at Banana Republic Factory With $12 Tanks, $25 Shorts & $35 Dresses, Plus up to 60% off Sitewide