Current:Home > ContactCalifornia student charged with attempted murder in suspected plan to carry out high school shooting -Capitatum
California student charged with attempted murder in suspected plan to carry out high school shooting
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-06 23:46:18
VICTORVILLE, Calif. — An 18-year-old high school student has been arrested and charged after investigators discovered he was planning a school shooting in Southern California and researched police response times.
Sebastian Villasenor, of Eastvale, California, was charged Wednesday with multiple felony counts related to a planned attack on Ontario Christian High School in Ontario, California, a city about 46 miles east of Los Angeles, according to the San Bernardino County District Attorney‘s Office. The charges include five counts of attempted murder and one count of attempting to make criminal threats.
Villasenor was arrested on Feb. 10 after a classmate reported that the teen "had been showing signs of being fixated on school shootings and had access to weapons," Ontario Police Chief Michael Lorenz said at a news conference Wednesday.
"Thanks to the swift and thorough response of the Ontario Police Department, and the bravery of the student who voiced concerns, tragedy was avoided and potentially lives were saved," the San Bernardino County District Attorney‘s Office said in a news release.
Police chief: Student 'obsessed with our response times'
Investigators found that Villasenor, who has no prior criminal record, "had every intention of carrying out a school shooting at the Ontario Christian High School," according to Lorenz.
Lorenz added that the teen was "obsessed" with school shootings and police response times. He also researched tactical supplies and was in the process of choosing a date for his attack.
"He was so obsessed with our response times that he Google mapped how far it would be from the Ontario Police Department for our response time to the school," Lorenz said.
Investigators believe Villasenor may have been planning a shooting around April 20, which is the anniversary of the 1999 attack at Columbine High School in Colorado that left 15 people dead, including the two shooters.
Guns in America:In US, celebrations can quickly become tragedies when violence erupts
Investigators discovered arsenal of weapons in teen's home
While searching Villasenor’s home, Lorenz said authorities collected "numerous weapons," including seven rifles, two revolvers, a handgun, and a shotgun along with more than 1,000 rounds of ammunition.
Although Villasenor didn’t have a "hit list," Lorenz said further investigation led police to believe that he was focusing on five students as intended victims and “contemplated” a sixth victim, based on interviews regarding his social interactions with the students.
All the victims were students at Ontario Christian High School, according to Lorenz.
Investigators determined that Villasenor wasn’t “bullied or harassed” but had difficulties “forming relationships with other students and in his social interactions.” Villasenor is in custody at the West Valley Detention Center in Rancho Cucamonga.
He is ineligible for bail, sheriff’s records show. He was arraigned Thursday and pleaded not guilty to all charges, according to the district attorney’s office.
Contributing: The Associated Press
Follow Rene Ray De La Cruz on X @DP_ReneDeLaCruz
veryGood! (489)
Related
- Paris Olympics live updates: Quincy Hall wins 400m thriller; USA women's hoops in action
- 'Game manager'? Tired label means Super Bowl double standard for Brock Purdy, Patrick Mahomes
- No one hurt when small plane makes crash landing on residential street in suburban Phoenix
- Chiefs WR Kadarius Toney inactive for Super Bowl 2024
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- ‘A Dream Deferred:’ 30 Years of U.S. Environmental Justice in Port Arthur, Texas
- 'True Detective: Night Country' Episode 5 unloads a stunning death. What happened and why?
- Nigeria vs. Ivory Coast AFCON Cup of Nations final: Live stream, time, how to watch in US
- Hidden Home Gems From Kohl's That Will Give Your Space a Stylish Refresh for Less
- Ukraine's Zelenskyy replaces top general in major shake-up at pivotal moment in war with Russia
Ranking
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- 'NCIS' Season 21: Premiere date, cast, where to watch new episodes
- “Diva” film soprano Wilhelmenia Wiggins Fernandez Smith has died at 75
- ‘A Dream Deferred:’ 30 Years of U.S. Environmental Justice in Port Arthur, Texas
- Organizers cancel Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna over fears of an attack
- How many Super Bowls have the Chiefs won? All of Kansas City's past victories and appearances
- How long has Taylor Swift been dating Travis Kelce? The timeline of the whirlwind romance
- 'Game manager'? Tired label means Super Bowl double standard for Brock Purdy, Patrick Mahomes
Recommendation
2024 Olympics: Gymnast Ana Barbosu Taking Social Media Break After Scoring Controversy
Super Bowl 58 bold predictions: Six strong claims for Chiefs vs. 49ers
'He Gets Us' returns with new Super Bowl commercials for Jesus
Vanderpump Rules Alum Brittany Cartwright Shares Insight Into Weight Loss Transformation
Sonya Massey's family keeps eyes on 'full justice' one month after shooting
Vanderpump Rules Alum Brittany Cartwright Shares Insight Into Weight Loss Transformation
Ariana Grande and Cynthia Erivo Defy Gravity in Wicked Trailer Released During Super Bowl 2024
Review: Usher shines at star-studded 2024 Super Bowl halftime show